AFROTC

ClipperPilot

Does anyone happen to know if a certain university or ROTC detachment is a "better choice" than another? Also, i do wear glasses, is this a complete show stopper to fly for the armed forces? As of right now i am planning on ERAU, is this a good choice, should i re consider a different university? any input is great and helpful, thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone happen to know if a certain university or ROTC detachment is a "better choice" than another?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you are looking for. Want the full military experience? Go to Texas A&M, the Citadel, or VMI. Want a large detachment? Go to Texas A&M or ERAU. Want a small detachment? Go to South Dakota School of Mines.

When you are in ROTC, you compete nationally for slots, and the biggest bearing on your standing as far as performance in ROTC is going to be determined in field training, which you will have no control over as far as choice location is concerned. (Grades count as far more important.)

Base your decision on school, not the ROTC detachment. Among many, Texas A&M is considered one of the best detachments. But there was no way in hell I was going to go to school there.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, i do wear glasses, is this a complete show stopper to fly for the armed forces?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your vision. Glasses are not a show stopper in themselves, but it all depends on your vision and what is currently waiverable at the time you compete for your slot. PLus, there's the ever-decreasing number of Navigator slots...

[ QUOTE ]
As of right now i am planning on ERAU, is this a good choice, should i re consider a different university? any input is great and helpful, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Prescott. I enjoyed it, and it worked for me.

But again, it's a personal decision.

Don't forget Virginia Tech along w/ VMI, Citidel and Texas A&M! VT and TAMU are the only two large state universities that also have a full time senior military college part to them! U get the senior military college experience, but you actually get to have a life outside of it. At least I know I had fun!

Don

Back