AFOQT

comstsa

I take the AFOQT next month. I'm looking to fly Active duty in the AF. Any advice on taking the test? also what advantage does a rated canidate have over a non-rated?

I take the AFOQT next month. I'm looking to fly Active duty in the AF. Any advice on taking the test? also what advantage does a rated canidate have over a non-rated?

As far as the test, get the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude tests and cross-reference the sections with what's on wantscheck (sorry DT). There are only 11 sections I believe, down from the 16 (?) that the study guide comes with. So don't waste your time with the ones that aren't on it.

Speed matters, but so does accuracy. What the hell - just get mhcasey to take it for you. He annihilated that thing.

I'd say the Arco study guide paralleled the actual test the best. I also used the Baron's and Cliff's Test Prep study guides.

I prep'd for 2 weeks for the test. I'd definitely suggest timing yourself and like Justin said don't study the sections that have been removed from the test.

As far as rated v non-rated. Rated boards only select Pilots, CSOs, and ABMs. Non-rated boards fill all other officer positions.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Another question... I dont want to have the attitude of "what can the Air Force do for me?" , but also I definitely dont want to somehow get mixed up in the Air Force, sign the papers, and not get to fly, especially after all the money and work I've put in to getting my certificates and ratings. So is there anyway to know wether or not Ill get Pilot, CSO, or ABM or does the board just select you into OTS and you go from there? I guess the commissioning process all together is still a little vague to me. Any insight on that would help too. Thanks agian.

wantscheck.com has great information on the AFOQT and TBAS. I personally used that site, the ARCO study guide, and the math sections in Cliff Notes. I studied an hourish a night for maybe two weeks...almost the math stuff exclusively because a lot of it is high school level geometry and algebra that I hadn't seen for a while. The math weighs more heavily for you as a pilot candidate than any other section. READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY. Often, the math is not difficult at all, but they'll change units on you mid question so you need to keep your values consistent.

Use the ARCO book for timing, but keep in mind that it is not completely accurate. The table section in particular was completely different on the real test. You will be extremely rushed during this section.

Everybody takes tests differently. On the day of the test, I got a lot of rest, pounded a few red bulls, and got in the zone during the sections that I knew mattered. There are two sections on the test that don't have any effect whatsoever on any of your scores. There are several sections that don't matter a heck of a lot for pilots. I relaxed during those, then geared up-full game on for the sections I knew counted most.

Good luck!

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Another question... I dont want to have the attitude of "what can the Air Force do for me?" , but also I definitely dont want to somehow get mixed up in the Air Force, sign the papers, and not get to fly, especially after all the money and work I've put in to getting my certificates and ratings. So is there anyway to know wether or not Ill get Pilot, CSO, or ABM or does the board just select you into OTS and you go from there? I guess the commissioning process all together is still a little vague to me. Any insight on that would help too. Thanks agian.

Well if you're going through OTS to Active Duty then you'll specify on your package what you're applying for, Pilot, CSO, or ABM and rate them as your first, second, and third choice. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO APPLY FOR MORE THAN ONE POSITION IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. A lot of recruiters will try to get you to put down more than one profession to increase your chances of being selected but if you just want to apply for pilot you can. I only applied for pilot and it didn't stop me from getting picked up at this last board where the pickings were very slim.

mhcasey is right, not every section on the AFOQT will affect your pilot score. So you can relax a little on those sections, but don't be one of those guys that scores in the 90s on Pilot and Nav and then 50s on everything else. Not really the whole person the AF is looking for IMO.

Back