Afib

wes1271

Can a pilot be certified with chronic Afib? Specifically, if there are no underlying conditions, heart is healthy but consistently in Afib under treatment. Or does the Holter Monitor and ECG have to show sinus rhythm?

Can a pilot be certified with chronic Afib? Specifically, if there are no underlying conditions, heart is healthy but consistently in Afib under treatment. Or does the Holter Monitor and ECG have to show sinus rhythm?
Afib requires a Special issuance. Yearly Holter and assessment by your cardiologist.
I have been in continuous Afib for 10 years....maintain a Class 1. I do not take any rate control medication.

Afib requires a Special issuance. Yearly Holter and assessment by your cardiologist.
I have been in continuous Afib for 10 years....maintain a Class 1. I do not take any rate control medication.
This is correct. Bring a status report from your treating physician, a recent Holter monitor study, and a list of your meds. If you are taking anticoagulation also bring your pertinent labs. Your application will initially be deferred but if eligible you'll be issued a special issuance that outlines your future reporting requirements.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Not an AME and don't have AFIB, that said, a friend of mine does and is on a SI and has been for a long time. You can keep flying.

This is correct. Bring a status report from your treating physician, a recent Holter monitor study, and a list of your meds. If you are taking anticoagulation also bring your pertinent labs. Your application will initially be deferred but if eligible you'll be issued a special issuance that outlines your future reporting requirements.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com
Thanks for reply. I am currently on a Special Issue for Afib, over 6 years have had both cardioversion and ablation. Came back again, not planning on having any more procedures and want to fly with it with medication. Otherwise healthy heart, not over weight, runner, gym nut. Thanks for encouraging response!!!

Back