Aeronautical Science

Wm226

I am a junior in high school now, and I am deciding on what major I should study. From the major I decide on, I will select a college that offers that major.

I am looking more into Aeronautical Science because I feel the urge to study the science of flight. Particularly, I am interested in Embry-Riddle because it offers me the two things that I want in a college: Aviation and Army ROTC.

There is one problem: I have never been very good at math, and I am wondering about the level of math used in Aeronautical Science (particularly in the ERAU's AS program).

I would appreciate your input on whether a major in Aeronautical Science would be appropriate for me, despite my dislike for math. Thank you.

I am an Aeronautical Science grad and I took some AP courses in high school... but I found the math at ERAU more or less "Math for Pilots".

But it also depends on your math background as well.

The two math classes you will need are MA 111 and MA 112. The books for both classes are not published for aviation and are used by other schools that have no aviation. MA111 is something like pre calculus and MA 112 is an intro to calculus. I suck at math too, but with the right teacher I was able to earn an “A” and a “B”. Nevertheless, you will have to take Physics, which I think is PS, I think it is PS, 103 and 104 which are algebra based. Those four classes are probably the only math based classes you will need to take.

Well a couple other classes also include some math such as performance and aerodynamics but neither go much beyond algebra.

The Aeronautical Engineering guys poke fun at us pilots for our level of math classes. Really, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've always been horrible at math, and recently got an A in Physics II (PS104).

I never knew how much I enjoyed mathematics until MA 112 was over.

Strangely, I was more interested in Calculus than I was "Aircraft Systems and Components" (lovingly known as "Parts 'n Pieces").

BTW, is Padraig Houlahan still around PRC?

I'm taking Parts n'Peices this coming fall, but I don't see myself enjoying calculus more.
wink.gif

That name sounds familiar, btw... Never had him as a prof though.

Aeronautical Science is akin to having a Liberal Arts degree with flying on the side.
cool.gif

Yeah, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there........
You see, us aeronautical science guys might not be good for much outside a cockpit. But buddy, just try any one of us on knowledge of aerodynamics or theory of flight. To the ones who love it, i mean really honestly cant get enough of flying, there is NO other worthwhile degree!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there........
You see, us aeronautical science guys might not be good for much outside a cockpit. But buddy, just try any one of us on knowledge of aerodynamics or theory of flight. To the ones who love it, i mean really honestly cant get enough of flying, there is NO other worthwhile degree!

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated out of Riddle-diddle PRC when you were 11 years old, sitting in front of the TV and gnawing on your fudgecicle.......with an AS degree.

It's liberal arts with flying on the side, bub. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

I've seen good and bad come out of that school with the degree. The expense of it is mind-boggling.

Alot can change in 10 years. It's not the same riddle "diddle" as you call it, that it was when you graduated. Anywhoo, why argue about it anyway. Youre an Air Force pilot man! Looks like it helped get you where you are! I dunno, I guess just the fact that it IS so expensive, makes me a little defensive. Sorry man.

[ QUOTE ]
Alot can change in 10 years. It's not the same riddle "diddle" as you call it, that it was when you graduated. Anywhoo, why argue about it anyway. Youre an Air Force pilot man! Looks like it helped get you where you are! I dunno, I guess just the fact that it IS so expensive, makes me a little defensive. Sorry man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope things have changed for the better since I left. Riddle was a good school and had excellent ground instructors (the flight staff was just a little green, but that's the way it is almost everywhere). Wasn't trying to argue; but I felt Riddle had it's little problems like anywhere else, and the $$$ irked me a bit. But overall, a good experience. And I agree with you that the experience did help in the pilot career department; not the Riddle name part per se, but the training garnered from the AS degree. You're correct there, sir.

[ QUOTE ]
The Aeronautical Engineering guys poke fun at us pilots for our level of math classes. Really, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've always been horrible at math, and recently got an A in Physics II (PS104).

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAHHHH YES I remember those days making fun of my fraternity buddies in the AS program. The math and physics program are a piece of cake! Even in the AE program.

Back