Aeronautical Colleges/Universities in Midwest(help-needed)

EASuperhornet

Hello all,

My name is Tony, "not that that's important" :sarcasm: :) I'm new to the forums, and I am so blessed landing here "no pun intended" :laff: randomly, and I'm sure you all are a great bunch of guys/girls who are all professionals in your fields.

I moved to Forsyth Missouri with my mom and sister, from Montreal Canada. I graduated from college with an communications major in Montreal, and i have decided to take advantage of my dual citizenship to work and continue my education here in the United States.

I have always been fascinated by aviation since my early toddler years, and I feel now is the time I take my boyhood fantasy to make it a reality. I have all the tools available at my disposal to do so, "an university fund started for me years ago," and I have the drive and ambition to make it work for myself.

I began to research, looking into universities in the midwest that i could go to. At first i was looking into schools or institutions that were close to home, so that i wouln't have far to travel and that i could save money by living off campus. But the closest schools to me are "Spartan college, and a school in florida." I read some online testimonials of the alumni from spartan college, and they all said the same thing, "basically its not a good school."

Then i spoke with a family friend who has been in the Aircraft maintenance industry after nam, and he told me after he got out of the green Barret he went to "Westwood college," and paid about $8,000 for an Airframe and powerplant course.

So the schools that i have looked at are TulsaTech, Spartan college, Westwood"redstone," anda few others.

most of the private schools cost bout $35,000 each to complete the programs, and i believe tulsa tech is bout half that.

I'm not rich at all, im just looking into pursuing a career as an A&P aircraft maintenance technicien, and im wondering if any of you would have some detailed information for me on any institutions/universities/colleges that i could work towards an degree, associates degree, for an affordable cost. like is there a difference going to a community college, is it the same degree?
eventually i'd like to be a pilot, but i want to start as a mechanic,(help me pay for pilots license)
i really need help on this..

thank you all if u take the time to help me out.
1)do u know of any colleges near,around, or in the midwest that are reputable institutions for their aircraft maintenance,avionics, etc. programs?
2)affordable even after financial aid is given.
3) any other miscellaneous information, i should know "past personal experiences," where u got your degrees...

Re: Aeronautical Colleges/Universities in Midwest(help-neede

Welcome to JC! If you have a 4yr degree in Communications then you don't have to attend any aviation schools, you simply have to get your ratings, which you can obtain from any local airport.

Try looking into Career Pilot School?

i'm not sure i follow your instructions.
The degree i have is called a DEC. In Quebec, it's a certificate stating that i have completed a 2-year "pre-university" program in Communications, which my major was Film studies. of course i could have stayed in Canada and continued onto university in film production, or another major like journalism, but aviation has always been a passion of mine, and why i have ignored it all these years i don't know, maybe i was a bit discouraged in school, but that had a lot to do with low self-esteem.

I would like to go to school for a bachelors degree later in my academic career in the business/corporate side of the aeronautical industry. But first and foremost i want to get my hands dirty and build, repair, and just be around planes all day. i absolutely love aviation! =)

So im looking into schools, and thus far: Redstone college, Tulsa tech are in my cross hairs. Tulsa tech i believe has an aerospace manufacturing degree program that branches off into A&P(airframe and power plant) program and i believe tulsaT is a community college because the tuition is bout $5+k versus Redstone College in either campuses "Denver CO, or Los Angeles" is $35+k tuition... that is a little out of my price range, but i believe education is an investment. but what im wondering is whichever school i decide to go to, the one that is 5+k, or the 35+k in the end, will i come out with the same knowledge and work-quality?

as for piloting, can u elaborate on that more please? im thinking more in the lines of getting my A&P license certification as a major, and a private pilots license as a minor.

and course in the future, furture...a degree on the business side.

any help would be greatly appreciated . I am ambitious as hell lol! and I plan on starting school in january, just as you may all know by now, im undecided and confused bout which institution, or institutions if you know of any...

thank you

The FAA lists every A&P school in the US here:
http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp
It's searchable by state, so you can start with schools closest to you.

I have no experience with them, but it looks like the University of Central Missouri offers everything you're looking for. Doesn't seem to be too expensive if you qualify for in-state tuition. I hear some universities won't let you fly as a non-pro-pilot major, so that might be something to check on first.

The FAA lists every A&P school in the US here:
http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp
It's searchable by state, so you can start with schools closest to you.

I have no experience with them, but it looks like the University of Central Missouri offers everything you're looking for. Doesn't seem to be too expensive if you qualify for in-state tuition. I hear some universities won't let you fly as a non-pro-pilot major, so that might be something to check on first.

Thank you so much Berkut. this is exactly what i was looking for, i would have never found this nor know what to search engine to find that url. this is key in finding colleges that are accessible to me.

On another note, are there any of you from this forum who have gone to an aeronautical institution and had taken aircraft maintenance category M license? and what did u think of it, before during and after u graduated? where are you today, and whats are your salaries if you don't mind me asking.

Central Missouri State University
Kansas State University - Salina

Kansas State University in Salina, KS has a very good aviation program. It's also relatively affordable if you compare it to other, more well-known programs.

Spartans MX side is more well known than their flight program. It's affordable and you can get through relatively quickly. That being said, what-ever you do, DO NOT MOVE TO TULSA.:banghead::banghead: Tulsa is stuck about 30 years behind the rest of the country and you will be disappointed with the QOL it has to offer. I just moved away (last week) after 6 1/2 years and would NEVER live there again. But, if you are seriously looking at making the move to T-town, PM me and I will be more than happy to let you know about the right areas of town, where to live, job, etc. Good luck with whatever you do!

I'm waiting on mail from Tulsa Tech, UCM (University of Central Missouri), and Kansas city - Salina.

I'm really looking into the best possible school to go to for an A&P license.
Of course it be nice to go to a university and take a B of Science major in Aviation technology, but most of the degree titled professions are in the management sectors, and pushing pencils really isn't my think even if im going to be making in the $80-90+k range...

have any of you taken A&P at a accredited institution in the midwest, or know someone... and if u have what do u personally recommend..

If i can pursue a career as an professional pilot,would mild asthma hold me back from a successful career as either a military, corporate pilot versus a commercial, because i know to be a fighter pilot the air forces requirement is not to have any history of hay fever and asthma after the age of 12. for commercial im not to sure, and corporate im not sure either..
having a private license is great to, but it isn't an investment.
any info on this as well?

i really do appreciate all the help, after this, i promise no more questions :eek:

I started the aviation program at the University of Central Missouri, formerly called Central MO State University about six years ago. I switched majors after earning my instrument rating. You can earn your A & P there, and you can work on your pilot ratings. The prices are decent, and it will definitely be cheaper than Kansas State in Salina.

Depending on how long you have been in Missouri, you are eligible for in state tuition. In Kansas, you will definitely have to pay out or state tuition, which is a significant difference in terms of cost.

I don't know anything about the Aviation Institute of Technology in Kansas City, but you may want to check in to them. They have an A & P program. I know of at least one or two other Universtiy of Central MO students/grads on this site, so hopefully they can give you more info about the school.

what did u switch your major to? and how are the aviation technology programs?

do u know much bout them, and where ppl have ended up after they had completed?
If i decide not to pursue a bachelors degree, is an associates degree frowned upon by employers in the aviation industry?

i believe the a&p program has been pulled from UCM's curriculum.

what did u switch your major to? and how are the aviation technology programs?

do u know much bout them, and where ppl have ended up after they had completed?
If i decide not to pursue a bachelors degree, is an associates degree frowned upon by employers in the aviation industry?

i believe the a&p program has been pulled from UCM's curriculum.

I guess I'm not surprised the A & P program is no longer around. When I started school there, it was the only associate's degree offered by the school, and I figured it would not last long.

A lot of jobs in aviation won't require a 4 year degree, but a lot of the jobs with large companies and major airlines do... I think. A 2 year degree is certainly enough to get you started in this career field though.

I am glad I have a 4 year degree, so it's something to consider... times are tough and it is always good to have a plan B when the aviation industry isn't doing well. My degree is in Biology education. Right now, I teach and coach, which really doesn't pay too bad. I decided to resume my flight training a year ago for a career in aviation after having stopped flying shortly after earning an instrument rating in college.

My friends who stayed in the aviation program were all hired upon graduation during that big hiring boom by the airlines, some went the corporate route, and some are in various other sectors of the industry. I doubt any of the recent graduates are having much luck finding jobs, but that will change as the industry picks back up... whenever that may be. If you get your cfi in Warrensburg, you are pretty much guaranteed a job instructing there, which is what most of the students do until they find another job.

It's probably worth your time to schedule a visit with the people in charge of the aviation program. Since you are relatively close, you might want to go check it out and see what you think. If you really just want an A & P and don't want to fly, then this obviously wouldn't be the school for you. I noticed the do have a degree in avionics though if you like that sort of stuff.

CHECK YOUR PMs. I INSTRUCT AT TULSA TECH AND DID ALL OF MY TRAINING HERE.

Purdue.

They wrote most of the college textbooks, and it's as midwest as you can get.

Cornfields and red brick buildings.....

Then again, there is breakfast club and Harry's.

Oh I just noticed that you are looking for A&P schools, not flight schools.

Still, my brother went to TUlsa TEch for his A&P and it is a wonderful school. Very cost effective, and good academic standards.

CHECK YOUR PMs. I INSTRUCT AT TULSA TECH AND DID ALL OF MY TRAINING HERE.

I'm considering an Aviations degree at UCM, or an A&P license program. I'd rather do A&P, but not before i get my AEM medical. if i pass that, I'd take the bachelors road, so maybe a career as a pilot wont be so unrealistic..

but tulsa tech is in my crosshairs as well...

tell me bit bout the program there, either here or through pm, up to you.

Oh I just noticed that you are looking for A&P schools, not flight schools.

Still, my brother went to TUlsa TEch for his A&P and it is a wonderful school. Very cost effective, and good academic standards.

the institution itself, is it expensive living on campus, cuz thats what i'd have to do since its not so close to home. is it relatively easy to find roomates off of campus?

what sort of equipment are in the hangars, and is it glass cockpits?

man i keep getting calls from this admissions recruiter from spartan..wtf is up with them, there so pressuring

I started the aviation program at the University of Central Missouri, formerly called Central MO State University about six years ago. I switched majors after earning my instrument rating. You can earn your A & P there, and you can work on your pilot ratings. The prices are decent, and it will definitely be cheaper than Kansas State in Salina.

Depending on how long you have been in Missouri, you are eligible for in state tuition. In Kansas, you will definitely have to pay out or state tuition, which is a significant difference in terms of cost.

I don't know anything about the Aviation Institute of Technology in Kansas City, but you may want to check in to them. They have an A & P program. I know of at least one or two other Universtiy of Central MO students/grads on this site, so hopefully they can give you more info about the school.

i looked into UCM, and they don't seem to have the A&P anymore, are my speculations correct?
I'd like to be wrong about this, but the UCM aviation department website seems to be outdated and misleading =/

I'm really trying to find a University or institution that i could take my A&P certificate so i could later apply to SLU where I'll do my Bachelor's in Aviation Maintenance Management... because I figure I'd save much more money doing it this way since I'm a resident of Missouri, and will be eligble for "In-state" tuitions.

Back