Aerobatics as a career

CN94559

Alright so my latest aviation career ambition is to fly aerobatics (preferably formation) and tour the airshow circuit like the Iron Eagles and Red Eagles do. The only problem is, I don't know how high the pay is for people like that, and I also don't know really where to start. I'm more than likely going to start competing in IAC events to start getting my name out there, and try to find myself a good wingman to then start practicing for a formation routine. Also I was thinking maybe become an aerobatic instructor to help hone my own skills.

So I guess my questions are, does anybody know a good way to get started in this? Is there much pay in this? What kind of training should I look into getting? (I've already looked at a few schools, including Sean Tuckers)

Just out of curiosity, how would one become an aerobatics instructor? Since there is no official certificate for this.

Just out of curiosity, how would one become an aerobatics instructor? Since there is no official certificate for this.

I think its just CFI and you specialize in aerobatics? Although I'm probably wrong, thus is why I'm asking people here

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html

Scroll to the bottom to see the aerobatic accredation. They aren't offering it anymore, but they may sometime in the future. But to answer the original question, I would just continue to network network network, get out to events as much as possible, maybe offer emergency manuevers/upset training as well. This is what I want to do as well. My aerobatics instructor teaches 4-5 days a week, and competes IAC and teaches clinics for IAC competitors in his off time....and he seemed to making a living at it....of course he has a sugar mama too, so that is always an avenue you might want to look into.

Sugar Mama FTW! :nana2:

Hey CN... one place you might want to go look at is www.airshowbuzz.com. It's definitely not the same environment as here but there are a few top notch performers that frequent those boards and they might be able to give you a better insight to pay and benefits of that career.

Sugar Mama FTW! :nana2:

Hey CN... one place you might want to go look at is www.airshowbuzz.com. It's definitely not the same environment as here but there are a few top notch performers that frequent those boards and they might be able to give you a better insight to pay and benefits of that career.

thats a good point. I go to that site all the time, but didn't think to post there. Thanks man!

If I could leave the airlines and make a living as a aerobatic pilot, I would in a heartbeat. I know of a former USAIR captain on voluntary furlough that is putting food on the table by working the airshow circuit. seems to be doing alright. I would LOVE to join him, if I knew anything about it.

I talked to Sean Tuckers son once about this and he said the main thing is finding a sponsor to help with your show. Obviously developing an entertaining routine would be necessary for you to get on the show circuit, but having a sponsor will cover the costs that I'm sure are not cheap. I worked around Mike Mangold for a while and his ticket was Red Bull. Seems like the way to go is to get in aerobatic compititions. Ive gathered this information from working around people in the arerobatic comunity.

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html

Scroll to the bottom to see the aerobatic accredation. They aren't offering it anymore, but they may sometime in the future. But to answer the original question, I would just continue to network network network, get out to events as much as possible, maybe offer emergency manuevers/upset training as well. This is what I want to do as well. My aerobatics instructor teaches 4-5 days a week, and competes IAC and teaches clinics for IAC competitors in his off time....and he seemed to making a living at it....of course he has a sugar mama too, so that is always an avenue you might want to look into.

Tell me more of this Sugar Momma strategery. This is intriquing and something worth pursuing!

I would reach out to USMC-SGT. He used to teach for Mike Mangold's place and would probably have some insight.

Tell me more of this Sugar Momma strategery. This is intriquing and something worth pursuing!

1. Find a female student pilot.
2. Confirm her sugar mama status (and availability)
3. Take her inverted, spin her around a few times....(in the plane of course).
4. Buy a ring.
5. Get down on one knee and ask her to buy you an overpowered, extremely maneuverable aircraft.
6. Live happily ever after.

Strategery at its finest

Oh, and make sure you love her......we women like that

Take a trip to KSZP. CP Aviation does aerobatic training and I hear they are damn good at it:yar:

I would reach out to USMC-SGT. He used to teach for Mike Mangold's place and would probably have some insight.
'

Close,
It was Michael Goulian. I was/am an aerobatics instructor and could answer a few questions for you, just shoot a PM or post it here although being a bit slow I may miss it if it gets posted and not PMd.

In short...
I had an interest in tailwheel and got the endorsement directly after the private
I flew tailwheel every chance I had when my training would allow it and got as proficient as possible. This was expanded to as many types as possible as well as most of them behave a bit different.
I met up with a guy who had stearman access and started flying with him and learned real basic acro in that and then practiced what I learned solo in a citabria.
Got hired with Michael and my limited experience was enough to get me in the door and they took me under their wing and between the lead instructor and Michael I took what I knew to the next level.

I started teaching unusual attitudes first which that course included some fun acro to give the students a taste but was typically just loops and rolls. After so many hours I moved into teaching primary and then sportsman and so on. The more I flew the more experience I got and the rest is history or lack thereof.

Now to be an airshow performer, do what I did times 100, get extremely good and find someone like Michael who has the time to take you under their wing. Typically the airshow performers had years of high level competition acro with great success and ended up with sponsorships which usually does not happen until you are in the national level.

1. Find a female student pilot.
2. Confirm her sugar mama status (and availability)
3. Take her inverted, spin her around a few times....(in the plane of course).
4. Buy a ring.
5. Get down on one knee and ask her to buy you an overpowered, extremely maneuverable aircraft.
6. Live happily ever after.

Strategery at its finest

Oh, and make sure you love her......we women like that

Whew...sounds complicated to me...and seems to involve emotions and stuff. I was thinking more along the lines of a hot older lady with gobs of money and it would be mostly a sex/she buys me cool airplanes and takes care of me financially thing.

There is a designation for aerobatics instructors called the CFI-A.
Check the IAC for further details.

I would higly suggest having spend a few years competing with the big dogs before going to tell people that one knows about aerobatics.

Leisurely strolling around in a little plane is "entirely different" from competing. It will take a few years to be where the "career aerobatics" guys are, even if you spend a looooot of money on it. Nothing comes easy in this sport, unless you're female, 19 and featured in a IAC magazine... :)

I was lucky enough to get to meet and talk to Tim Weber who flies an extra 300 sponsored by geico. His basic advice was buy a acro plane and spend as much money as you can on gas. And that seems to be the case. http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/pilot.html <--- that is a great article detailing how skip stewart who is one of my favorite airshows pilots started in the business.. and the title says its all.. if you want to be a airshow pilot get a high paying day job first... in that article it talks about how for the first 3 years it cost skip over 40,000 a year out of his OWN pocket to fly a airshow season plus 3,600 a year to insure his pitts. Luckily Skip flies for fedex so he could afford it. It aint cheap. I would love to fly aerobatics and I almost have enough money saved up to buy a superD to start in. Even though Tim Weber suggested a Yak 55 to start in but I'll stick with a superD. I hope to fly compeitions for a few years than hopefully start some aerobatic training at the school I fly out of one day. Who knows though. I guess it all comes down to can I afford it?

I respect your ambition. Acrobatics is challenging and exciting and teaches a lot about the dynamics of flight. The first thing you should do is get a tailwheel endorsement while taking a basic acro course. One place in Texas that offers significant acro training is Harvey-Rihn Aviation in La Porte (near Houston). Debby Rihn is the proprietor and has a few national titles to her name. For a place closer to home you might check out Aero Country airport near Frisco. A couple years ago there was an outfit there teaching basic acro in a Super-D. Get up there and get a feel for it. See if you like it.

Acrobatics as a professional sport is a pyramid like any other. We all played in little league. Some made it to high school ball. Some of them went on to play at college. Some of those guys made it to the minors. Finally, a handful got to the show. Keep that in mind when you create your expectations.

I think a career as an aerobatics instructor and occasional competitor is certainly yours for the taking. Once you get to that point, who knows what opportunities will present themselves?

Back