Aerobatic Training

Italianaviator

Hey I started aerobatic training today, all I have to say is that it was simply amazing. I'm still trying to get used to flying upside down and the maneuverability of the Pitts. If anybody has any tips on aerobatics, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Hey I started aerobatic training today, all I have to say is that it was simply amazing. I'm still trying to get used to flying upside down and the maneuverability of the Pitts. If anybody has any tips on aerobatics, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Any maneuver in particular?

Yeah we pretty much worked on the maneuvers for the primary sequence, loops, stalls, barrel rolls and half cuban. We were going to do competition turns but I didn't want to over do it on my first flight.

Yeah we pretty much worked on the maneuvers for the primary sequence, loops, stalls, barrel rolls and half cuban. We were going to do competition turns but I didn't want to over do it on my first flight.

Oh, ah....... yeah. I'm probably not the guy to talk to then. I can fly those maneuvers...

.... but wouldn't want to compete any of them.

I'm so jealous you're in a pitts... I can't wait to fly one. The extra is amazing, but a pitts, wow, fun. where are you doing your training? Are you doing this for fun? do you want to compete?

How much are you guys paying for that training? Aren't the planes particularly expensive to rent, considering the insurance?

I started the same last weekend. I have to say, while I have no problems with loops, I do start feeling sick in high bank maneuvers, not sure why. Anything I can do to avoid this?

How much are you guys paying for that training? Aren't the planes particularly expensive to rent, considering the insurance?

A lot. 144/hr for the decathlon...and i already signed over my first born for the extra...

I started the same last weekend. I have to say, while I have no problems with loops, I do start feeling sick in high bank maneuvers, not sure why. Anything I can do to avoid this?

Try to take a non-drowsy dramamine, & I've heard people use those pressure wristbands as well. Other than that, I found that any motion sickness just got easier the more I flew. After a manuever that spins your head around pick a point on the horizon and force your brain to 'right itself'. In the words of my instructor, when your brain/inner ear isn't sure which way is up, you have to remind it by giving it a reference. And I didn't believe him when he told me, but anxiety plays a role. Once I was more comfortable with my ability in a manuever (but never too comfortable) and the handling characteristics of the plane, it seemed that any motion sickness faded....that's what worked for me.

Jealous about the Pitts too. All we have around here are a few Decathlons but once you have been in a Pitts you're screwed for life.

As far as airsickness - it goes away with practice and exposure. Eat light (but not nothing in anticipation of the flights) leave yourself 1 hour after the meal before flying, rest well and oh well, exercise a bit.

Prices are a nightmare anywhere.
Tld, how much does the EA run? $300 - 450... ?
The EA200 I got to fly was beyond 400 Euro's and that was when the airplane was rather new. But that was in Europe.

The Pitts where I fly is 140 an hour dry or 225 an hour wet, I was up for .8 and my price was 115 + 39 in fuel plus 28 for instructor so not too bad .8=$182. But I also had to pay a $400 lifetime membership fee so that is added in there too but after you have flown it a few times you really do make that money back.

I'm so jealous you're in a pitts... I can't wait to fly one. The extra is amazing, but a pitts, wow, fun. where are you doing your training? Are you doing this for fun? do you want to compete?

I belong to the eaglesport club which has the Pitts in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and for right now I'm doing it for fun but if I eventually get better then I may compete.

That sounds great! I'd love to get some dual in a Pitts.

I always wanted to head over to Budd Davisson for some heavy exposure.
Unfortunately police has stopped me several times when walking into the bank to withdraw the money for it. "Can't take that gun in there, Sir!"

Sooo narrowminded! It's only a few grand... and I could use the training.
Beats robbing a bank for drug money, does it not now?

I know a guy near VRB florida that will take you up in his EA300L for $220 an hour. That includes any "ground" time as well. Great guy and operates out of a nice grass strip next to his house.

I thought it was a good deal :)

I know a guy near VRB florida that will take you up in his EA300L for $220 an hour. That includes any "ground" time as well. Great guy and operates out of a nice grass strip next to his house.

I thought it was a good deal :)

Wow...I'm on my way, that's a fantastic deal

any specific competition/maneuver questions, fire them my way!! love to chat acro...

gonna do intermediate in a S2B if i can scratch the money together this summer...

Cool post! My flying club (Located in San Diego) has a 1978 Bellanca Citabria. $95 an hour plus $50 instructor. I know nothing about acrobatic flying, never gone, never been in a tailwheel. I was thinking about taking a lesson so I could fly a tailwheel and do a loop or something cool. I would imagine that a Citabria is a fine plane to learn some basics right? I think the instructor is pretty old and crusty dude so just the time with that guy would be money well spent...

Back