Aerial Firefighting

The information is much appreciated. It's something I personally hope to get into sometime in my life. The USFS I'm sure does the bulk of the air tanker service, but how about private operators. I've seen aero-flite, and Dyncorp to name a few. I know the days of flying A26's and PBY's are gone, but I see the CL-215 to be popular. What would you say is the majority aircraft that the USFS operates.

Exactly Mike D. The lead manytimes can act as the air attack. The USFS doesn't operate any bombers, that is done strictly by contractors whether it is P-3, CL-215, or a SEAT, or Type 1 helicopter.

The information is much appreciated. It's something I personally hope to get into sometime in my life. The USFS I'm sure does the bulk of the air tanker service, but how about private operators. I've seen aero-flite, and Dyncorp to name a few. I know the days of flying A26's and PBY's are gone, but I see the CL-215 to be popular. What would you say is the majority aircraft that the USFS operates.
The USFS actually only operates a few King Airs, Jump Ships (sherpa, DH, etc) and some air attack (Turbo Commander). Almost all of the tanker work is contract. Currently the Large Air Tankers (LAT) are the P-3 and P-2. To fill the gap the USFS also contracts SEATS which are Air Tractors, and this year brought the Martin Mars on a Fed Contract. The 215s are strictly leased to the states.

Oh I have one. Are lead planes contracted by the USFS as well, or do you provide lead planes for your own aircraft?

Oh I have one. Are lead planes contracted by the USFS as well, or do you provide lead planes for your own aircraft?

Lead planes have traditionally been USFS or CDF pilots. BLM used to run their own OV-10 leadplanes for a while too. USFS used to have a fleet of Beech Barons, but am not sure if they're still using them.

all leadplane pilots are either USFS or BLM, they have now moved almost exclusively to the King Air 90 as the Lead.

Didn't get a chance to read this until just now. Thanks for the write-up, great info.

One question - Do the SEAT guys have roughly comparable lifestyles/contract times?

Thanks!

I'm not so sure, the USFS did away with most SEAT contracts and moved to CWN (Call When Needed) so they only get called up for fire activity.

all leadplane pilots are either USFS or BLM, they have now moved almost exclusively to the King Air 90 as the Lead.

Ah cool. There was a Cessna 337 as the lead plane in montana not too long ago... Funny thing was at the FBO nearby there was some talk that they needed a different plane. Almost wanted to volunteer for it. :D

It probably wasn't the lead plane, most likely it was the air attack. I haven't heard of a 337 being used as lead.

It probably wasn't the lead plane, most likely it was the air attack. I haven't heard of a 337 being used as lead.

Hmm.. not sure then. There was an issue with it but I'm not sure exactly what. What is Air Attack? There were 2 P-3s and a P-2 and the 337 on the ramp and a bunch of helicopters. I didn't see a King Air or anything else there.

The air attack aircraft is generally operated under contract by a private contractor. The prefered aircraft is an aero-commander, and the 337 has been used extensively as well. If you are interested in an air attack position, it would be helpful to get some aero-commander time, or Skymaster time.

The air attack aircraft contractor in every case I am familiar with operates under part 135, because thier job is to carry the Air Tactical officer over the scene.

The air attack aircraft is generally operated under contract by a private contractor. The prefered aircraft is an aero-commander, and the 337 has been used extensively as well. If you are interested in an air attack position, it would be helpful to get some aero-commander time, or Skymaster time.

The air attack aircraft contractor in every case I am familiar with operates under part 135, because thier job is to carry the Air Tactical officer over the scene.

Ah, so they monitor the firefighting? I guess I don't understand what exactly they do. Is the Air Tactical officer the person who would tell the aircraft where to drop?

Back