Advice

vipermcg

This is some really helpful advice I read. It was written by an airline pilot/aviation law professor at Western Michigan State University to his students. I was particularly interested with the part about racial, religious and sexual discrimination. I had no idea it was so alive in the aviation industry today.

So You Want To Go Into Professional Aviation

I really didn't sense much racism on my path to the cockpit. I'm the type of guy that if you throw a wall in my path, I'll either break it down or crawl over it so may there was some, but I never took notice.

Take that article with a grain of salt. First of all it's very old, and secondly it is written by someone who has no firsthand information.

There is definitely sexual and racial discrimination in aviation, but it swings both ways. There is reverse discrimination in hiring practices at some airlines.

Fortunately there are guidelines to deal with harrasment which if followed, do a very good job.

As a Pro Stds guy I was called in to deal with several issues. Almost all the time it was a communication problem, and no one had to be disciplined severely. There were a couple of cases where disciplinary action was taken as well.

I think the industry is moving forward in this area.

You're pro STD? I guess whatever floats your boat.

wink.gif

Dave

I have heard some people say things are cool and there is no real problem with discrimination in aviation. I have also heard it is still very much a boy's club. Any thoughts???

[ QUOTE ]
Take that article with a grain of salt. First of all it's very old, and secondly it is written by someone who has no firsthand information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, John, it's from this May.

However, your second point is very well taken.

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard some people say things are cool and there is no real problem with discrimination in aviation. I have also heard it is still very much a boy's club. Any thoughts???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that aviation is ALWAYS going to be a predominantly male field. Men just seem to be more interested in it than women. Who knows why? Maybe it's because men and women are wired differently; maybe it's because men tend to have the traits that are required for success in aviation more than women do; or maybe it's because of socialization. There, I covered everything, I think.

However, I do know that some women have made it, so even if there is sexual discrimination, it can be done.

And I think that Doug has the right attitude as far as racial discrimination goes. Even if it's there, he will find a way to overcome it.

With all the obstacles that are thrown up between any person, even a Hitler wet dream, and the cockpit of a major, I think that if you can make it to the point where discrimination is a factor, you'll overcome that one, too.

You're right, it is an interesting article LOL. The only discrimination I faced concerning my advancement towards my ultimate goal was self inflicted. I have experienced personal resentments, etc., but the people that really mattered only cared about if I could fly or not.

"Pro STD" LOL ok no more abbreviations
wink.gif

Professional Standards

The article was re-published in May but I have seen that same article in several publications since 1995. It may have some minor modifications.

All the PC (oops no more abbreviations) Politically Correct airlines hand you that article or one like it during basic indoc (indoctrination), just before you get the harassment speech. Yes we want to make sure you know how to harass professionally!

The original poster said that the author was an airline pilot. I believe he is ATP rated, but not an airline pilot.

Back