advice please

Killtron2000

So I've got this flying job out in the middle of nowhere and that's about as specific as I'm going to get. I've been here 4 months and the company is in pretty desperate need of pilots because the turn over rate is very high. For the most part it's an awesome job but one point of contention I have with the owner and and managers is my unwillingness to work overtime for free (i'm already at 50 hours a week and flying 100+ hours a month). For this I think I will be let go or at least they are trying to give me the impression that I will. They are taking advantage of the fact that I have several things keeping me here first I have a car that I need to sell, I have a plane ticket I will need to buy (i told them i have enough frequent flyer miles to get a ticket for free), the US job market is somewhat bleak and they know I have a pretty serious girl friend I will have to leave here if I go back to the states. I've got a few options.

I could hold out and see if they are bluffing.

I could agree to work extra hours and once I build up enough time split for another job.

I could leave right now and go back to CFIing or some other not so glamorous job.

There is also a small chance I could get on with our competitor out here but I don't think its likely they have too many pilots already. I haven't really been able to talk with US pilots in awhile and I don't have a feel for the market over there. I've got some friends at colgan and pinnacle but I really don't like the idea of working for either of those companies. Any input would be welcomed.

Stick to your guns. If they fire you, you can always collect unemployment. There is no reason to work for free. I see people doing that all the time at my company and I think they are nuts. Yes, I only get an extra $25 to 50 per week. But my time is valuble. If they want to take that away from me, they can pay it. So I will be CFIing in a Cirrus at more than triple what I make hourly during the week. But then again. I cannot depend on CFIing alone. Good luck man!

I would love to hear what happens. Keep us up-to-date!

So I've got this flying job out in the middle of nowhere and that's about as specific as I'm going to get. I've been here 4 months and the company is in pretty desperate need of pilots because the turn over rate is very high. For the most part it's an awesome job but one point of contention I have with the owner and and managers is my unwillingness to work overtime for free (i'm already at 50 hours a week and flying 100+ hours a month). For this I think I will be let go or at least they are trying to give me the impression that I will. They are taking advantage of the fact that I have several things keeping me here first I have a car that I need to sell, I have a plane ticket I will need to buy (i told them i have enough frequent flyer miles to get a ticket for free), the US job market is somewhat bleak and they know I have a pretty serious girl friend I will have to leave here if I go back to the states. I've got a few options.

I could hold out and see if they are bluffing.

I could agree to work extra hours and once I build up enough time split for another job.

I could leave right now and go back to CFIing or some other not so glamorous job.

There is also a small chance I could get on with our competitor out here but I don't think its likely they have too many pilots already. I haven't really been able to talk with US pilots in awhile and I don't have a feel for the market over there. I've got some friends at colgan and pinnacle but I really don't like the idea of working for either of those companies. Any input would be welcomed.

If you're working in the Bush (which its sounds like you may be) and you happen to be in Alaska, don't count on over time for pilots, its not allowed thanks to uncle ted. You might be flying for JPAir, that kind of sounds like them, but PM me and tell me what's up. I've been more than taken advantage of in the sticks once, I'll give you whatever advice I can.

Back