Advice for someone who hasn't flown in 7 years

I would only add that skills erode faster than confidence. Also, I've found that folks who spend their time when they're not flying simply THINKING about flying have a much quicker bounce back.

-A.S.

I went almost 9 years, and here's what I did back in 2002:

1. Ordered a new, plastic certificate via the FAA web site (I had an address change and also wanted my SS# removed (original certificate was from 1975).

2. Went to see my former AME and got my medical.

3. Ordered a bunch of King videos to review the new airspace, regs, etc. Watched them all. You can review material as you see fit, but I found the videos very helpful.

4. Went out to the local flight school, told them what I wanted to do, and shortly thereafter an instructor became available (nice guy, no issues with him, we got along well right from the start).

5. We took a Piper Arrow IV (I used to fly a Cherokee 235) and off we went!

6. I flew with him just about every day. We covered all the VFR stuff and then the IFR stuff.

After about 11-12 hours I had my BFR and IPC, and that was that.

Keep in mind that I had about 1300 hrs in my log book when I stopped flying, so things came back rather quickly for me.

The 2 times I got nearly sick in my aviation career:

1) First flight
2) First time in a full motion sim

Time I made myself sick:

1) acro practice at 9am after eating McDonalds.

FAIIIIIL.

thankfully i had a sicksac and I didn't get the urge til I was already on the way back to the airport... UGH.

Time I made myself sick:

1) acro practice at 9am after eating McDonalds.

FAIIIIIL.

thankfully i had a sicksac and I didn't get the urge til I was already on the way back to the airport... UGH.

I had mcdonalds before my first spin flight as my instructor told me to eat normal and I didn't think it would be that bad. N68ND seat belt might be a little tainted. I started feeling sick once we entered the patten and luckily the sick sack was hanging where it was supposed to be.

I had mcdonalds before my first spin flight as my instructor told me to eat normal and I didn't think it would be that bad. N68ND seat belt might be a little tainted. I started feeling sick once we entered the patten and luckily the sick sack was hanging where it was supposed to be.

68ND is my lady!! we put up that nice white banner in Odegard thanks to her co-operation. :)

Back