Advice for attending job fair/ who's going

badtransam97

Thought about attending my first job fair/conference and was wondering if anyone had any advice on attending, such as: is one day better than any of the others, do you usually attend a discussion or just mingle around the floor, etc..?
I assume taking a stack of resumes and knock the dust off the suit is a given?
I'm looking at going to the WAI conference in BNA March 10-12, is anyone else planning on attending? Be nice to put some faces with names in here.
Thanks!

You'd think that's a given, but you'd be surprised what some people do or don't do ha..

Just bring a good attitude and be open to meeting lots of new people, you never know when that great connection will be made...

Attending my first job fair this month for NGPA, not really expecting miracles or anything just want to get out there talk to some influential people and start the process of getting my name out there. Resume, business cards, fresh suit. Im putting together a cheat sheet on each major. Core values, mission statement, general facts etc. Have an hour or two in line? Read through some notes and pretend like you have done your homework.

Make sure to follow through with emails/thank yous/updates etc. keep notes on each business card you collect/person you meet.......date/where/reactions/follow-up, etc.

Be confident (not egotistical or pushy) and personable. Above all else stay/keep a positive attitude. (no whining-no negativity-no rude/snarky comments, no complaining) Don't look bored or irritated even standing in line forever.

No over drinking either.

Be prepared. Do a little research on each carrier and look at some current news about them. get a concept/handle on their company culture and what they look for.

Network your ass off, with EVERYONE. (that includes other attendees)

Make sure all of your on line applications are up to date. If you need help/advice writing a professional resume, then get it before hand. Some people even write a specific resume or cover letter to target each specific carrier. Not a bad idea at all. Don't get your resume printed on cheap ass paper either. Make sure your cover letter is not a mini/condensed resume.That's not their purpose.

Wear what you would to a professional interview, dark suit (most importantly- make sure it fits you well), clean fresh pressed tie and shirt, polished shoes. Be refreshed/well rested and well-groomed.

Thank people for their time. You will only have a few minutes to make a lasting, good impression. You are in control of having a good experience or not having one. Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
^ That x1000

Also, be genuine. Show up prepared, enthusiastic, and educated about the carriers you would like to speak with. Keep track of recruiters' names and write those thank you notes. (I walked into an interview once and saw the note I had written from a job fair months earlier, sitting right there with my paperwork.)

And meet everyone....those you stand in line with, and form friendships with, don't look at them as competition. They are the ones who may walk in your resume someday, or you may end up sitting in class with them somewhere. If you never get a call from your carrier of choice, could you walk away from dropping a ton of money on the job fair and still feel like you gained interviewing experience, networked, and maybe made some new friends? As said above, you control your experience there....Good luck!

^ That x1000

Also, be genuine. Show up prepared, enthusiastic, and educated about the carriers you would like to speak with. Keep track of recruiters' names and write those thank you notes. (I walked into an interview once and saw the note I had written from a job fair months earlier, sitting right there with my paperwork.)

And meet everyone....those you stand in line with, and form friendships with, don't look at them as competition. They are the ones who may walk in your resume someday, or you may end up sitting in class with them somewhere. If you never get a call from your carrier of choice, could you walk away from dropping a ton of money on the job fair and still feel like you gained interviewing experience, networked, and maybe made some new friends? As said above, you control your experience there....Good luck!
Stop messing around on JC and get back to studying flows!

Kidding ha...

All the above is great advice for the OP.

Reactions: Tld
Thought about attending my first job fair/conference and was wondering if anyone had any advice on attending, such as: is one day better than any of the others, do you usually attend a discussion or just mingle around the floor, etc..?
I'm looking at going to the WAI conference in BNA March 10-12, is anyone else planning on attending? Be nice to put some faces with names in here.
Thanks!

I'm planning on going.

1. Speak to everyone. Speaking to a guy who everyone assumed was a vagrant was a person that helped propel my career. True story.
2. You never know who is listening. I know a guy who worked a career fair with SouthernJets who was standing in line for the hotel shuttle who was near a guy who was very angry with a particular airline, but was applying, but had no idea the guy in a plain t-shirt and jeans was one of the recruiters for the airline he wanted to work for.
3. The hotel bar is where the networking magic happens.
4. Bring resumes.
5. Be yourself. Career fairs are largely looking at personality.
6. RUN OUT OF BUSINESS CARDS. Make sure everyone gets one. Especially the hotel bar, in line for the career fair and other situations where you may meet people. Make sure it's up to date and professional.
7. Here's the big secret. It's a small network of people who do recruiting. They all talk and all know one another. If you're an ass at the Alaska desk, rest assured they're going to hear about it at United.
8. Your opportunity starts before the career fair starts, continues during the career fair and continues afterward. A lot of great networking happens before, during and after.
9. Take your time, be patient. The recruiters know you may be nervous. They may be as nervous as you are, just relax, try to be yourself and take it easy.

Why w
1. Speak to everyone. Speaking to a guy who everyone assumed was a vagrant was a person that helped propel my career. True story.
2. You never know who is listening. I know a guy who worked a career fair with SouthernJets who was standing in line for the hotel shuttle who was near a guy who was very angry with a particular airline, but was applying, but had no idea the guy in a plain t-shirt and jeans was one of the recruiters for the airline he wanted to work for.
3. The hotel bar is where the networking magic happens.
4. Bring resumes.
5. Be yourself. Career fairs are largely looking at personality.
6. RUN OUT OF BUSINESS CARDS. Make sure everyone gets one. Especially the hotel bar, in line for the career fair and other situations where you may meet people. Make sure it's up to date and professional.
7. Here's the big secret. It's a small network of people who do recruiting. They all talk and all know one another. If you're an ass at the Alaska desk, rest assured they're going to hear about it at United.
8. Your opportunity starts before the career fair starts, continues during the career fair and continues afterward. A lot of great networking happens before, during and after.
9. Take your time, be patient. The recruiters know you may be nervous. They may be as nervous as you are, just relax, try to be yourself and take it easy.
Why was it that I often was the only one with business cards to share at NJC? And my cards were only inviting attendees to visit my museum.

Bring cards!!!!!!!!

What do you have on your cards? Name, email, and phone number? Do you have the title of "professional pilot" or "airline pilot" or do you even have a title?

What do you have on your cards? Name, email, and phone number? Do you have the title of "professional pilot" or "airline pilot" or do you even have a title?

If you have business cards from your current employer, just bring those.

If you're going to make some, keep it simple but make sure it's got your name, telephone number and a professional email address. You're basically showing that you're prepared and trying to find a scrap of paper to (hopefully) legibly write down your contact information is a pain.

If you have business cards from your current employer, just bring those.

If you're going to make some, keep it simple but make sure it's got your name, telephone number and a professional email address. You're basically showing that you're prepared and trying to find a scrap of paper to (hopefully) legibly write down your contact information is a pain.

Great!

I know my email address might not be professional enough to some, but I think it's cool! Pilot_jock_av8or@hotmail.com

:biggrin:

Have we said how small this industry really is?

I think earlier this week I got to having a chat with one of our own guys who used to be a bush pilot in Alaska, his FO used to fly 402s for Cape Air (talk about extremes). Both of them knew some of my old co-workers from the airline formerly known as Wiggins.

Be pleasant! And never burn a bridge.

Back