Admission into Purde

chris6387

Im a sophmore in high school and undecided on how I will go about in my aviation career, just keeping my options open.

Just wondering how difficult it is to get accepted into Purdue's flight program and what the everyday life is like of a Purdue flight student.

I've read Purdue's website, but maybe there is a current or former student on these boards that can give me some info?

Thanks!

If you want flight, it's tough. You have to have a high GPA and a high SAT score. It's all done on numbers as we only have a limited number of slots.

Life is like it was in high school, albeit with more responsibilites and homework. Ground school is now a credited class and your flights are now a lab in conjunction with said ground school. Classes are 50 minutes while labs are double that (110 minutes).

Your written exams are the final for the ground school and you take them at a Lasergrade Test Center (Lafayette Aviation, our FBO). Your checkride is the final for the labs (no pressure there, right?).

I hope I've answered your questions. I would definately apply here. If you don't get into flight you can get into Aviation Management but minor in flight (I just found this out). Having a degree from Purdue will go a long way to getting you in front the crowd.

Thanks for the advice! Purdue Pilot, I infer that your currently enrolled in their flight program? If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on your SAT? (just so I have a score to shoot for)

Neil- If you recall, you helped me answer some questions about Purdue a few months ago. I was wondering, what is the cost (after adding in housing) for students in the flight program? Also, what type of scholarship opportunity's do they offer the flight program, and how difficult is it to get one? Lastly, how accesible is Purdue from IND? Thanks alot.
Brian

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice! Purdue Pilot, I infer that your currently enrolled in their flight program? If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on your SAT? (just so I have a score to shoot for)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in Flight. I'm in Aviation Managment, but I'm knee-deep in affiars concerning the Flight major. I couldn't get into Flight, my SATs were too low. When I tried to transfer into Flight my GPA was too low (it was a 2.8).

I got about 1160 on my SATs, if you really want to know.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering, what is the cost (after adding in housing) for students in the flight program? Lastly, how accesible is Purdue from IND? Thanks alot.
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Follow these links for information regarding tuition. They should give you a rough idea of what to expect.

http://www.adpc.purdue.edu/Bursar/fees_wl.htm

http://www.adpc.purdue.edu/Bursar/2002_2003_wl.htm

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what type of scholarship opportunity's do they offer the flight program, and how difficult is it to get one?

[/ QUOTE ]

This page should get you started, I hope.

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/studserv/scholar/index.html

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, how accesible is Purdue from IND? Thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Purdue is very accessible from IND. There is a shuttle that runs about every 2 hours from said airport to Lafayette. That shuttle is the Lafayette Limo (it's way over priced and the service is pretty crappy -- if they're full they'll leave you at the curb regardless of whether or not you have a reservation).

Your best bet would be to fly directly into campus on AmericanConnection. In other words AA flies to LAF. So far it's been pretty popular. Just make sure you specify Lafayette, IN. They'll book you to Lafayette, LA. We've had plently of corporate flights bound for Lousiana landing here.

Follow this link for a timetable on the Lafayette Limo:

http://www.lafayettelimo.com/

I hope I've answered your questions!

If you're enrolled in the professional pilot program, will Purdue put you in a dorm with other people in that same program, or is it done randomly? Also, I am a junior in high school. When do you think the best time would be to take a visit?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're enrolled in the professional pilot program, will Purdue put you in a dorm with other people in that same program, or is it done randomly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The flight major is treated just as any other major. You pick the dorm that you want, be sure to pick early as it's first come - first served, and then you're assigned a random roommate.

The thing I've found is that majors will seek each other out though. What I mean is that the aviation people will tend to congregate together and the engineers will do the same. However, that's just until you branch out and meet more people.

[ QUOTE ]
When do you think the best time would be to take a visit?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I would say probably late March. You really don't want to be touring Purdue in the bitter cold as most of your tour will be outdoor.

I hope this has been helpful!

What type of Internship programs does Purdue offer for students in the Professional Pilot program? What year, and during what time of that year do students usually do the internship? Does the school or the airline provide you with a place to stay during the internship? I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Another question... Are all of the instructors Purdue students? Also, what is the general quality of Purdue's instructors?

We used to have a number of internship opportunities with United, Delta, American, ATA, and other carriers. I know that United and Delta have both ended their internship programs with us for financial reasons. I know of one student who is currently attending an ATA internship.

I would say that most students attend internships in their Junior and Senior years. However, it is not unheard of for someone in their Sophomore year to do this.

About housing... I believe that you have to search for this on your own. I'm not certain of that though. I would believe that if you're doing an internship program through the university that they would assist in this matter. I'll ask my advisor about this.

I hope this has helped you! Please don't hesistate to keep asking me some questions. I love helping people!

[ QUOTE ]
Another question... Are all of the instructors Purdue students? Also, what is the general quality of Purdue's instructors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most, if not all, of the instructors are Purdue students. I would have to say that the caliber of these instructors is higher than most other instructors that I've seen. Although they are students, they are trained to standards that are much, much, much higher than you find at any other school. We value safety and education above all else and that shows. We've only had 1 fatal crash in our program here and I think that says something for a program as old as ours.

There has to be a reason why a lot of regionals offer our graduates lower minimums.

[ QUOTE ]
Are most internships done during the summer, or during a semester?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the internship. It's up to the company offering it as to when they offer it. So... my answer to your question would be, "yes." We do have both summer and semester internships.

Most people, I believe, would opt for a summer internship as it works out better. If you do a summer internship then you won't miss a semester.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not in Flight. I'm in Aviation Managment, but I'm knee-deep in affiars concerning the Flight major. I couldn't get into Flight, my SATs were too low. When I tried to transfer into Flight my GPA was too low (it was a 2.8).

I got about 1160 on my SATs, if you really want to know.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm that brings up a couple of questions for me, as I'm considering Purdue...

Currently my GPA is 3.5ish, SATs 1450ish... do you know if thats enough, Neil, or are they looking for a better GPA?
Second, you said you tried to transfer into Flight-- is there sort of a 'back door' where current Purdue students can get into Flight if their grades are good enough?

I'm currently a high school junior taking classes at a local college doubling college/hs credit so I'm not sure how that'll play into the equation...

I appreicate it
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Currently my GPA is 3.5ish, SATs 1450ish... do you know if thats enough, Neil, or are they looking for a better GPA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's enough. You won't know until you send in an application, won't ya?!
smile.gif

Since it's rolling admissions, I'd send in the application waaaay early.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, you said you tried to transfer into Flight-- is there sort of a 'back door' where current Purdue students can get into Flight if their grades are good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can transfer in the second semester of your Freshman year... if you have at least your private. There's another time you can transfer in. That's in your Sophomore year. I think you need to have your commerical though.

You need really, really good grades though. It's a highly competative program. If you can't get in, I'd recommend going with the Aviation Management program.

Someone's up late
wink.gif

Thanks for the info, Neil.. I'll definately give it a shot. I'm beginning to think I need a more challenging university (and better weather!) than UND.

The only thing thats worrying me is that I have 43 college credits already in a non-aviation AA program (albeit with 10 aviation credits). I suppose I'll need to speak with an admissions person there to figure out how that'll all work out. I'm also planning a visit to the campus this fall, early September perhaps.

Thanks again...
-zach

[ QUOTE ]
Someone's up late

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on my vacation! That means going to bed around 3am and not getting up until 1pm!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing thats worrying me is that I have 43 college credits already in a non-aviation AA program (albeit with 10 aviation credits).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how those will work out. However, I can point you in the direction of who will.

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/at/facstaff/faclist.html

Go there and select Rose Bolyard. She's my advisor and she's been nothing but extremely helpful to me. I would suggest you give her a call.

Thanks, I'll definately give her a ring sometime between morning classes or something....

At this point, Purdue seems a much better choice for me than UND.

Admissioins criteria depends on the rest of the applicants apparently. I graduated from PU Flight and when I was admitted my High School grades weren't all that great - maybe a 3.0 and 1060 SAT's

Jason

Back