ADF Written Question

jspeed87

Very frustrating but if anyone wants to help me out, I would appreciate it.

(67.) If a magnetic heading of 170* is maintained and your ADF indicates (the needle is pointing towards 315*), What will be the relative bearing to the station when you intercept the 090* magnetic bearing to the station.

A. 260*

B. 270*

C. 280*.

Correct answer is C, but I am pulling my brain out as to why. I understand the MH+RB=MB to station. But the way they phrase it here is so confusing. I think bearing is the same as "radial" to VOR.

I think bearing is the same as "radial" to VOR.
Bearing to the station
Radial is from the station. (Radials radiate from is how I remembered it)

MH + RB = MB
Mudhole + Rubber Boots = Muddy Boots

170 + RB = 090
RB = 090 -170
RB = -80

Since -80 is less than, add 360.

RB = -80 + 360
RB = 280

Or, you could do it this way (which is brute force, trying all of the possible answers and picking the only one that works):

MH + RB = MB
170 + 280 = MB
MB = 450

Because 450 is above 360 you have to correct by subtracting 690

MB = 450 - 360 = 090

MB = 090

You never used: My Hairy + Red Balls = Make Baby?

I have flown an aircraft with an ADF but never flown an NDB approach, I aim to fix that, but they are disappearing fast.

I remember holding over an NDB in IMC, partial panel and occasionally leaving the hold to do the approach only to return again and start all over. I did that with my first instructor for about 2 hours one day. NDB approaches are a different breed.

Reactions: PK
There used to be a radio station that was used as a practice approach in AZ KCKY, now the state has none. (awful broadcasting but there you go)

http://aftw.org/Coolidge_NDB-A_KCKY.jpg

I'd love to get some proper non precision approach experience. As an instrument rated pilot, ILS and GPS doesn't cover everything. especially in Canada, South Africa etc.

I still dig the fact that you can tune into commercial radio while flying. I'd love to rig up an ADF as a radio for home, same for a Comm radio, listen to LHR approach... Just need some home electronics to make that happen.

Alex.

You never used: My Hairy + Red Balls = Make Baby?

I have flown an aircraft with an ADF but never flown an NDB approach, I aim to fix that, but they are disappearing fast.

I thought it was Mary Had + Roast Beef = Mary Barfed?

Bearing to the station
Radial is from the station. (Radials radiate from is how I remembered it)

MH + RB = MB
Mudhole + Rubber Boots = Muddy Boots

170 + RB = 090
RB = 090 -170
RB = -80

Since -80 is less than, add 360.

RB = -80 + 360
RB = 280

Or, you could do it this way (which is brute force, trying all of the possible answers and picking the only one that works):

MH + RB = MB
170 + 280 = MB
MB = 450

Because 450 is above 360 you have to correct by subtracting 690

MB = 450 - 360 = 090

MB = 090

ahh I got it now, although I was trying to visualize it on paper it's just a math/algebra problem. What is point to these ADF questions when they are being replaced by GPS.

Exactly, just the ability to fly one is a more complex effort and more demanding of a pilots skills, we should seek out those challenges.

Back