ADD Medications

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
I've been diagnosed adult ADD, but have tried behavioral modifications to curb my symptoms. I really feel like it's holding me back at work, though - and am now considering discussing medication options with my doctor. What are the implications for my 3rd class medical? Are Ritalin or Aderol ticket punchers?

Thanks doc!

Could you tell me what your symptoms are and how you found out about, and how it affects your daily life. My boss swears she has the same thing. I don't know much about it, but I sure would appreciate your input

Ritalin and Adderall are both disqualifying medications. In addition, the FAA will ask for an evaluation for ADD to see if you can function well enough off the medications to be safe.

Could you tell me what your symptoms are and how you found out about, and how it affects your daily life. My boss swears she has the same thing. I don't know much about it, but I sure would appreciate your input

It's a lot of little things - I have the hardest time paying attention, not only in meetings, but I'll lose interest in a conversation that runs too long. I tend to get very, very easily distracted - especially by the Internet. I'll sit down to do something, and then look up and realize it's been 4-hours and I'll I've done is post messages on here. I can focus intently on something for hours if I'm interested in it, but if I'm not, I can take me hours to do next to nothing.

There's a lot of other aspects I talked with my doctor about - I'm very quick to anger over very trivial things - generally feel like my brain has a thousand channels playing at once. There's some great information online. I've tried behavioral management practices, which have helped, but I'm finally giving in and considering medication.

Ritalin and Adderall are both disqualifying medications. In addition, the FAA will ask for an evaluation for ADD to see if you can function well enough off the medications to be safe.

Thanks doc - I'll have to talk about it with my doctor and see if that's something I'm willing to give up. Appreciate the help!

It's a lot of little things - I have the hardest time paying attention, not only in meetings, but I'll lose interest in a conversation that runs too long. I tend to get very, very easily distracted - especially by the Internet. I'll sit down to do something, and then look up and realize it's been 4-hours and I'll I've done is post messages on here. I can focus intently on something for hours if I'm interested in it, but if I'm not, I can take me hours to do next to nothing.

Dude that describes pretty much everyone...

Let me get this straight, you think you have ADD because you lose interest in things that don't interest you? And you spend time on online forums? Seriously?

I went to a neurologist for headaches, walked out the door with a diagnosis for atypical migraines and a prescription for career-ending anti-seizure medication.

It ended up being a pinched nerve because my neck muscles were stretched. All I needed was some hot packs and cold packs, some herbal tea to relax my body, and a few days of relaxation.

Some doctors are just a little too trigger happy with these meds and their diagnosis.

I agree:yup:

Dude that describes pretty much everyone...

Let me get this straight, you think you have ADD because you lose interest in things that don't interest you? And you spend time on online forums? Seriously?

I went to a neurologist for headaches, walked out the door with a diagnosis for atypical migraines and a prescription for career-ending anti-seizure medication.

It ended up being a pinched nerve because my neck muscles were stretched. All I needed was some hot packs and cold packs, some herbal tea to relax my body, and a few days of relaxation.

Some doctors are just a little too trigger happy with these meds and their diagnosis.

Back