ADD, color vision

I think the special issuance is ok! It may have a time limit on it from what i have heard...dont know if thats true. On the other hand i dont think color vision is something that warrants a special issuance medical.......that is usually for much more traumatic bodily problems...look into that or have dr. Forred help us out.

also does this mean that for every medical third thru first we have to retake and resubmit the alt. results to get a new medical from the CAMI???

I think the special issuance is ok! It may have a time limit on it from what i have heard...dont know if thats true. On the other hand i dont think color vision is something that warrants a special issuance medical.......that is usually for much more traumatic bodily problems...look into that or have dr. Forred help us out.

also does this mean that for every medical third thru first we have to retake and resubmit the alt. results to get a new medical from the CAMI???

The special issuance is because of my ADD and Tourettes (tourettes was in childhood). I have to get an evaluation from my treating physician when I go to renew it.

As far as the color vision, I was wondering that myself. Can I simply resubmit the documentation saying I passed the Keystone?

Yeah thats the question we have to find out is if the process of the alt. test is just like the one we all went through....In my opinion this is becoming an AOPA attorney type of issue. Is there a coalition for colorblind aviators...we need advocates!

To make sure understand this correctly: everytime I rewnew my medical I will need to go to the optometrist I went to previously, take the test again, get another letter stating that I passed, and submit this with my FAA physical? Here's my concern. The Keystone test is already hard to find as it is. I'm 25, and I'm afraid there will fewer of them around in 25 or 30 years. How do I know I will be able to find one? What if the FAA changes what they allow as alternate tests? How would that effect people already certificated? Oh and can you explain what the special issuance means in regards to my ADD/Tourettes?

I suppose that even though I took/passed/mailed to the FAA the results of the FALANT about 2 months before the July 24th decision, I can't make a case for being grandfathered in?

To make sure understand this correctly: everytime I rewnew my medical I will need to go to the optometrist I went to previously, take the test again, get another letter stating that I passed, and submit this with my FAA physical? Here's my concern. The Keystone test is already hard to find as it is. I'm 25, and I'm afraid there will fewer of them around in 25 or 30 years. How do I know I will be able to find one? What if the FAA changes what they allow as alternate tests? How would that effect people already certificated? Oh and can you explain what the special issuance means in regards to my ADD/Tourettes?

That was my understanding. I am trying to get a clarification to insure this is exactly what they are going to do. The contact person I have is out for a long week-end. As soon as I have a more definitive answer, (and hopefully with a published policy) I will post it.

In my experience, they will not go back and rescind letters of evidence that have already been issued.

I suppose that even though I took/passed/mailed to the FAA the results of the FALANT about 2 months before the July 24th decision, I can't make a case for being grandfathered in?

You may have ground for argument but I don't know how far you will get. What seems fair is to process all applications that were submitted before the deadline -- but again that is what seems fair.

You may have ground for argument but I don't know how far you will get. What seems fair is to process all applications that were submitted before the deadline -- but again that is what seems fair.

I hope this is the case because I mailed a letter to the FAA today kindly pointing out that I submitted my application for medical certification in January. I guess I'll know in a month or two when they get around to it lol.

Doc, could you please explain to me what the special issuance means? This has all the privileges of a standard medical certificate right? Will they remove the special issuance after a set period of time?

If you have a "condition" that is disqualifying, the regulations allow the Federal Air Surgeon to waive the regulation. In the old days this was called a waiver, it is now called a Special Issuance. They have specific criteria for evaluation and follow-up for the conditions they feel can be "waived".

Okay, now I'm a bit confused:
The AOPA told me I could soon expect a letter from the FAA directing me to my local FSDO for a Medical Flight Test (I had mailed in my passing FALANT results requesting a letter of evidence).
Today in the mail I got a new 1st class medical with nothing written in the 'Limitations' box- and no letter of evidence, nothing about a medical flight test.
Why would they send me an unrestricted 1st class medical if they've decided they no longer like the FALANT? Did they goof up?

Okay, now I'm a bit confused:
The AOPA told me I could soon expect a letter from the FAA directing me to my local FSDO for a Medical Flight Test (I had mailed in my passing FALANT results requesting a letter of evidence).
Today in the mail I got a new 1st class medical with nothing written in the 'Limitations' box- and no letter of evidence, nothing about a medical flight test.
Why would they send me an unrestricted 1st class medical if they've decided they no longer like the FALANT? Did they goof up?

Your guess is as good as mine. They probably sent the unrestricted medical based on the FALANT. I am still waiting for the answer from my source as to what they are really doing. Will post the answer as soon as I get it.

Gotcha.
If you think of it, please ask your guy if there's any way I can still get a Letter of Evidence to show my AME next time, as this unrestricted medical sure won't last too long...

Thanks , Doc!

I passed alternate tests other than the Farnsworth Lantern, and was issued what is called a "letter of proficiency" that I show to any AME, which is valid for any class of medical.

I actually used it today in fact, to get a 2nd-class medical.

There is talk this will no longer be valid?

when did you get this letter of proficiency??!!!! I took the alternate test other than the farnsworth too! the titmus 2 test...how did you get your letter??!

I was told by the FAA today that effective July 24, 2008 they no longer issue a letter of evidence for color vision.

This was a real surprise to me too.

I would like to know where this is documented, the reason behind it, and why/how the change in policy was made without seeking any public comment.

I do not object to documenting I can pass one of the accepted color vision tests as required. I do object to having to jump through the same hoops every time I go in for an exam if I happen to fail the particular test a given AME chooses to administer.

If you read the first post of the first thread in Ask A Flight Surgeon, you will see the reason for the change. It lies within the purview of the Federal Air Surgeon to define process and procedure for aviation medicine.

This is really not a change from the long published standards - the Ishihara plates are the standard and alternate tests are acceptable. The published guidelines have always stated that a signal light test was required for a letter of evidence. It is also within the authority of the Federal Air Surgeon to establish Special Issuance procedures.

If you have a question, you can call Dr. Silberman's office in Oklahoma City and ask them about it.

Sorry to toss another question in there - but what about those of us who got our letter by taking the signal light gun test? Would we be expected to take the light gun test again before each medical?

Letters of Evidence issued prior to the change in process are still valid and there are no plans to rescind them. Once you pass the signal light gun test, you are done

Back