ADD, color vision

srleslie

Doc,

I'm sure you recall my many PMs to you about the ADD issue. I finally got all of the psychiatric tests done and sent them to the FAA. I just got off of the phone with the FAA and they said they issued my medical certificate and it was mailed off yesterday. I asked him if they also included my letter of evidence for the color vision. He said they no longer issue letters of evidence EXCEPT for the signal light gun test. He said they don't issue them for the FALANT either. Please tell me this is not true. He said that I would have to retake the alternate color vision test each time I renew my medical. Was he mistaken? I need the letter of evidence for the keystone. That just doesn't sound correct. I don't know what to do. Can I request it from my regional flight surgeon? Please help.

Ryan

This is news to me. I will try to find out if they changed the rules but I have not heard of anything new.

Would it hurt to mail a letter to my regional flight surgeon requesting the LOE along with the letter from the doctor saying I passed the keystone? I mean it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

Ok, I really need to know what's up. I just called my regional flight surgeons office in Fort Worth. The guy said the only thing you can receieve a letter of evidence for is the light gun signal test. He said that every other alternate color vision test must be taken everytime the medical is rewnewed. Can you please get the real scoop for me? :banghead: Just when I feel that my dream is reality I hit another problem.

The guy said the only thing you can receieve a letter of evidence for is the light gun signal test.

I have a letter of evidence for color vision. Valid for all classes. It required a medical flight test. The letter was issued June 2007. Maybe things have changed since then?

Hi Doc,

I was in your office a few months back for a FALANT, which I passed. I mailed the results to the FAA requesting a Letter of Evidence and heard nothing back, so I asked the AOPA to make an inquiry.
The AOPA sent me an Email today saying that they contacted the FAA, and that I will soon be receiving a letter directing me to go to the regional FSDO office for a Medical Flight Test.
I thought that a passing FALANT test would get me through. Do you have any idea what this is all about? If the test involves the same Ishihara plate test as on the routine medical exam, I won't pass. I'm very worried- since passing the FALANT, I've invested quite a bit into my training toward becoming a professional pilot- not to mention, my hopes have been literally sky high.

I have a letter of evidence for color vision. Valid for all classes. It required a medical flight test. The letter was issued June 2007. Maybe things have changed since then?

What did the medical flight test involve? Is it literally a flight test, as in flying in an airplane with an FAA employee?
Did you fail the standard Ishihara test at your medical (numbers embedded in dots) then pass an alternative test?

What did the medical flight test involve? Did you fail the standard Ishihara test at your medical (numbers embedded in dots) then pass an alternative test?

Yes, failed the Ishihara test. Originally I received a waiver (SODA) by doing the light signal test. But it was only valid for third class.

I received a letter of evidence for doing the medical flight test which is valid for all classes.

The medical flight test consisted of flying with a FAA inspector at night and identifying the colors of the VASI, PAPI, rotating beacon on the tower, taxiway lights, light gun signals etc. For example, he told me to close my eyes, and then he maneuverd the aircraft into various positions on the PAPI glideslope. Then he would have me open my eyes and identify whether we were on glideslope, slightly low, etc.

He also had me identify colors on a sectional chart.

The whole test took about two hours.

I had to go through the regional flight surgeon to set it up.

Yes, failed the Ishihara test. Originally I received a waiver (SODA) by doing the light signal test. But it was only valid for third class.

I received a letter of evidence for doing the medical flight test which is valid for all classes.

The medical flight test consisted of flying with a FAA inspector at night and identifying the colors of the VASI, PAPI, rotating beacon on the tower, taxiway lights, light gun signals etc. For example, he told me to close my eyes, and then he maneuverd the aircraft into various positions on the PAPI glideslope. Then he would have me open my eyes and identify whether we were on glideslope, slightly low, etc.

He also had me identify colors on a sectional chart.

The whole test took about two hours.

I had to go through the regional flight surgeon to set it up.

Thanks for your reply.
But wow, intimidating. I think I'd get by, but I thought that passing the FALANT was all I'd have to do. Perhaps I have to do this because I got a Class 1 medical the last time I went.

Thanks for your reply.
But wow, intimidating. I think I'd get by, but I thought that passing the FALANT was all I'd have to do. Perhaps I have to do this because I got a Class 1 medical the last time I went.

Something similar happened to me. There is some misinformation on the AOPA website that says once you pass the signal light test, you are good for all classes. Once I decided to pursue flying professionally, and before I invested tens of thousands of dollars, I wanted something with an FAA bureaucrat signature on it that said I was good to go.

I called the regional FAA people and ended up having to do the medical flight test. There is an FAA document which explains exactly how they are supposed to administer the test. It's a large file, PM me if you want it. The reference is FAA Order 8900.1 Volume 5, Chapter 8.

I was told by the FAA today that effective July 24, 2008 they no longer issue a letter of evidence for color vision. If you pass a Farnsworth lantern or any other alternate color vision test, you must retake that test at the next medical. The only way to get around this is to ask for a medical flight test at the FSDO. I could not find this in print anywhere yet but when I do, I will post the link for your review.

This was a real surprise to me too.

WHAT! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is going to affect, from the numerous posts I have seen, MANY of us. I took the Farnsworth back in 02' - have passed maybe 2 of my medical color vision tests since (most fails were the Ishihara, which, according to most optomitrists, is the hardest test and anyone with a slight color deficiency will fail). No biggey, I just present the letter of evidience and, according to the FAA, I'm good to go. No longer? This sucks. The FAA is rescending those letters now? Wonderful, now they're going to have a boat-load of us scheduling one of those dang flights.

What a pain in the ass. This has been a constant thorne in my side since I began in this industry. First with Air Force ROTC, then when I wanted to fly civilian (with hope of an aviaiton career) then ATC, now back to general aviation.

What a load.

I doubt they will rescind any existing letters of evidence. In the past, they have not gone back and changed things that were already approved.

It does not sound like they are recinding already-issued letters of evidence. This is just the new procedure going forward. You need to be served with a letter of withdrawal for your letter of evidence to be recinded.

I doubt they will rescind any existing letters of evidence. In the past, they have not gone back and changed things that were already approved.

Wow, well I'll drink a beer to that. I hope you're right Doc. If you do hear anything else on this subject - especially for those of us that have the letter already, please do keep us informed.

Your partcipation on this site is invaluable. Thank you very much.

This is simply not fair. I passed the Keystone in January of this year. The FAA kept dragging out my medical because they wanted me to get more and more tests for the ADD. I completed the last tests in June, and they finally issued my medical certificate. Since I passed the test before July 24th, is there any way they would issue it for me? I noticed your service says something about agressive assistant with issuance. Is there any way you can help me with this?

Whats with the FAA and colorvision! what is the big deal??? the only incident they ever bring up is that FedEx crash....but the Captain (not colorblind) said he saw the same lights as the co pilot.....I have never had a problem with colors that would make me a hazard to fly. The only thing they worry about is the light gun signal.....I have a brilliant idea...change the filament to blue! instead of green if red/green is such a problem.. Isn't Europe like that? This debacle has become crazy already! Also there is no restriction for the sectional so why do they make you read it, there is no "not valid for sectional reading" on the medical! That makes it seem like discrimination just to make you jump through more hoops! I took the alternate Titmus 2 Vision test and passed, no problem...isn't that good enough already! Feds Against Aviation FAA. Sorry for the rant.

Another question i have is in regard to the alternate tests...if we have to retake the tests for each medical renewal do we have to send that in every time to the CAMI and they will give a new unrestricted medical...is that how it works?

I got my medical in the mail today. It is a special issuance medical. Does this have all the rights and privilages of a regular medical? How is this differnet.

On a different note and this is hopefully some encouraging news for some of you. Gene therapy has been show to be successful in primates who are color blind. They have the same three types of cones humans have. Color deficient individuals lack one of these cones. They have been able to introduce the DNA into the retina for the missing cone through a retrovirus which integrates the missing DNA into the genome. The primates who had this done were no longer color blind. I'm told human trials are about 5 years away. Ineed it appears gene therapy may prove very promising in treating several sight disorders.

Back