Actual on purpose...

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
This may sound like a dumb question...

Let's say you've got a nice thick cloud layer. Is there any reason why you couldn't file for an altitude inside that layer just so you can log a good stretch of actual time in the IFR system?

I ask because it seems like a lot of IR pilots I've met have a lot of TT and very little actual. I realize there are lots of reasons for this, but forcing yourself into actual seems like a good way to maintain proficiency.

Let's say you've got a nice thick cloud layer. Is there any reason why you couldn't file for an altitude inside that layer just so you can log a good stretch of actual time in the IFR system?

I ask because it seems like a lot of IR pilots I've met have a lot of TT and very little actual. I realize there are lots of reasons for this, but forcing yourself into actual seems like a good way to maintain proficiency.

Go for it. And if you get up there and see that the layer is higher or lower, ask for it.

Just make sure its not below freezing haha.

Is there any reason why you couldn't file for an altitude inside that layer just so you can log a good stretch of actual time in the IFR system?

Sure, do it all the time. If necessary, request a different altitude once you get aloft. Or, if the clouds only exist in a thin layer at some strange altitude like 3,300 feet, you can request 3000 block 4000.

Man, you guys are nuts! :)

I spent almost 4 hours last night trying to find an altitude OUT of the cloud layers between LAX and ORD!:D

Seriously, however, it's a great idea as long as there are no embedded thunderstorms or icing.

Fly safe!

Actual is the best! Especially when it's OC at 1000ft and you take off and bust through at about 6K. Nothing but sunshine and fluffy clouds below you! My favorite part of flying. My former instructor was one of the few who actually liked to fly in actual so it worked out well for the two of us. The more actual you can get, the better you will feel about the first time you do it by yourself.

That's a great idea like everybody said just make sure there's nothing embedded. I always file for the cloud layer. No reason not to take advantage of it while it's there right?

Ha! My instrument instructor used to request different altitudes to keep us in the clouds. I have 32 hours of actual :) And I am glad I have that experience.

My former instructor was one of the few who actually liked to fly in actual so it worked out well for the two of us.
What was wrong with the rest of them?!

I like actual because as a CFI it's the only way I'm going wrack up any significant amount of instrument time.

I do it all the time.

I don't know if other people do this but I put in the remarks that it is a training flight. They give me pretty much whatever I ask for. Altitudes, holds, vectors, multiple approaches, whatever.

I think ATC really likes to help out so long as they are able.

I do it all the time.

I don't know if other people do this but I put in the remarks that it is a training flight. They give me pretty much whatever I ask for. Altitudes, holds, vectors, multiple approaches, whatever.

I think ATC really likes to help out so long as they are able.

Its tougher here, especially when its solid IMC, to get that sort of thing, since we are under the DFW B.

Back