ACPP Questions

pilotmandy

I recently completed the interview for the Career Pilot Program, and I have a lot of questions. If anyone can help out with any or all of these I would greatly appreciate it!

--Do they tell you who your “partner” is beforehand so you can e-mail them?
--How soon do you get the backpack with all the books and stuff in it?
--How much money should I plan on for eating out, etc.?
--Besides the charts, do I need to have money for stuff like fuel, transportation on cross-countries, hotels, etc.?
--When you stay in hotels, is it direct-billed, or do I pay and get reimbursed?
--How do they handle the sleeping arrangements for girls?
--What would you recommend as far as bringing sheets vs. a sleeping bag for cross-countries where you stay in the apartments?
--Do you know beforehand if you will be staying in a hotel or apartment?
--How many hours a day are you at the facility/flying, and is it pretty much every day?
--What is the dress code?
--Do they ever hire instructors from the total instructor training program or just the Career Pilot Program?
--Does pretty much everyone get offered an instructing position? Are there a lot who don’t?
--Is there a day of orientation of all their procedures and stuff or do they pretty much just throw you in?
--Do you come to the facility/apartments like the day before you start, or a couple days before?
--What other rules/guidelines do they have?
--I heard there is no phone line in the apartments. Is there internet access anywhere if I bring my laptop?

Also if anyone has any other kinds of suggestions or advice, I would love to hear it; I want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks!

Nice questions.. I'll wait for answers too
laugh.gif

They handle X-C accomodations beforehand at dispatch I believe (Car, hotel/apartment) so no worrying about that..

I'm not sure if fuel is pay and reimburse or what.

Yeah Mandy, those are some great questions.1.
Smokey......................................................................................

[ QUOTE ]

--Do they ever hire instructors from the total instructor training program or just the Career Pilot Program?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't attend the ACPP program just the Multi-Commercial add-on and will be atttending the total CFI course. TO answer the two above questions I'm almost positive the dress code is relaxed. The two ACPP female students that flew into Aurora up near Chicago from FLL had shorts and t-shirts when they flew in. The instructors always had their ATP polo shirts and usually shorts. As for hiring out of the total CFI program. No they do not. It's solely from the ACPP at the moment. I believe for a short time awhile ago they did when demand was there, but since 9/11, they don't have the need to look outside the ACPP.

Hi Amanda,

I just started ACPP in Dallas about two weeks ago... I can answer the majority of your questions, and I know that Sig reads this section quite a bit and he could probably answer the rest... or at least correct me on anything I may not have gotten right.
shocked.gif

I knew who my partner was prior to the start date, I'm sure that they would have no problem getting you in contact with them prior to start. Just call your location or the 800 number to find out.

After I paid my deposit, I had my package of materials in two days. You can pay your deposit well in advance of your start date if you wish to get them early. I got mine about 40 days prior to my start date.

You will be in an apartment for your training. Full Kitchen facilities, etc... are available to you. Whatever you would normally spend on yourself for groceries is what you can figure in. You can pack your own lunches for training days, and a lot of times you may have an hour to two down time between Ground School & SIM sessions so you could feasibly go back to the apartment and cook yourself a meal. Other than that... Your meals on your X-Country phase are also up to you... so plan your budget accordingly...

--Besides the charts, do I need to have money for stuff like fuel, transportation on cross-countries, hotels, etc.?

All Fuel, Transportation, and Housing charges are covered by ATP. Dispatch handles your Cross-Country phase and it depends on the location whether or not you will be in a hotel or in the locations apartments. You will get a binder upon start of the program that has information on all locations including: Airport Diagrams, ATP's Location Info, the hotel's information, and local taxi numbers.

Most times all items are direct billed, but for the occasional Taxi or Rental car when necessary you will be re-imbursed.

Easily handled... separate rooms.

--What would you recommend as far as bringing sheets vs. a sleeping bag for cross-countries where you stay in the apartments?

I personally will be bringing a sheet and a light blanket with a pillow. It really depends on what you feel the most comfortable with.

Most times... Yes. But it is important to be flexible.

--How many hours a day are you at the facility/flying, and is it pretty much every day?

Here's where it varies... Based on scheduled checkrides, Fuel on the field, Ground School scheduled, Aircraft Maintenance, TFR's, Weather, SIM Schedules, etc... It really depends. Thus far, my longest day has been 8 hours and my shortest has been about 3 hours. And yes... for the most part it is everyday. You can work out days off with your partner and instructor when/if needed though.

Business casual, with the exception that shorts are also allowed, or you may wear the ATP polo's with khaki's. Regardless, the ATP shirts are required for Checkrides and X-countries. You'll get these with your training materials.

I asked my instructor, and he stated that occasionally they do, but your chances are most likely better if you have completed the whole ACPP. However, ATP will be happy to look at any resume.

--Does pretty much everyone get offered an instructing position? Are there a lot who don’t?

This was a big question of mine as well... Here's the response I've been getting over and over again. Think of the 90 day program as a 90 day job interview. How you react to stress, variable schedules, and training has a big impact on whether or not you will get hired. Other factors that seem to be considered are: How well you interact with Dispatch during the X-Country phase and did you complete your assigned studies as per your instructor? Being a good student is a good barometer to how good of an instructor you may be.

--Is there a day of orientation of all their procedures and stuff or do they pretty much just throw you in?

It is fast paced... I just received my Private about 2.5 months ago, but I've never felt like I've been "thrown in". The expectations are high, but in my opinion they give you plently of training and time to complete your studies. However, the best advice I received was to have your Writtens completed prior to your start date!
smile.gif
This will be a blessing to you in the long run.

The first couple of days, your instructor will spend time with you going through the whole course timeline and setting up your training files. You will sign some documents, and recieve a book of daily quizes that need to be completed prior to the start of each day. Also, it's a really great idea... if not an expectation, to have the Seminole Supplement memorized... It will help when it comes to your Multi Checkride Oral which will be scheduled approx. 6-7 days after you arrive.

--Do you come to the facility/apartments like the day before you start, or a couple days before?

This you work out with ATP... It can go either way. It all depends on what you prefer.

Study your butt off. Stay on good terms with the dispatchers. When your instructor tells you to study something... do it. Be safe in the air. Have your writtens (at least your Instrument and II) done prior to arrival. (I took mine the second day.) They will re-imburse you if you take them elsewhere, prior to arrival. Be on time each day. When you have a question... ASK it, don't worry about sounding stupid. Study, Study, Study!

--I heard there is no phone line in the apartments. Is there internet access anywhere if I bring my laptop?

You are correct, no phones. Every student with ATP is required to have a Cell phone for that reason. It will also come in handy for you on the cross-country phase. No specific Internet access except in the office but that is mostly for ATP business only. The local library is a great place for free internet access, as well as the local University Campus. Other than that, I'd hit an internet cafe and relax with a nice mocha-chino. If you wanted to pay for a cable connection to the apts. I believe you can also do that as well for the time you are there.

Also if anyone has any other kinds of suggestions or advice, I would love to hear it; I want to be as prepared as possible.

Get to know your partner well... take each other out to eat and relax... your going to be spending the next 90 days with each other. Don't BS your partner, if he/she asks how you did on a ride tell them the truth... "It went alright up until I did the last cross-wind short-field landing... but then I was all over the place." This will help you build the trust with each other and perhaps you will be able to learn from each other.

Other than that... It's fairly laid back, as long as you've studied and are prepared each day. It's also good to get to know the ACPP students who are ahead of you in the program. You can find out a LOT about the program and the upcoming Checkride expectations from them. Another good source of information is the 800 number... most everyone answering the phones is a former ACPP student and they are a wealth of info. on the program. Lastly... Have fun!

Thanks!

Your welcome... Have fun with it. I know I am!
smile.gif
Feel free to ask me any other questions... If I don't know the answer I'll find them out. Good luck to you!

Bob

I am currently in the ACPP right now and i'll try to answer the questions to the best of my knowledge. If I am not 100% sure, i'll let you kow.

I dont know, i never asked before I started, but you can try calling the 800 number and see if they will five you that info.

As soon as you pay your deposit they will send it out. I got mine fairly quickly after i paid

Thats up to you. you can shop at eat at home and sack lunch and save as much as you want.

they pay for housing and transportation, but you might have to front the money and get reimbersed for it when you get back. but i would always carry some extra cash.just in case. Food is on your own.

Its normally direct billed.
They get their own rooms.
thats up to you. i know people who take sheets, and others who take sleeping bags, its just preference. I just took a pillow.

No, I never knew. but if you going to a career pilot location, you most likely will stay in an apartment. but not always. I've stayed in a hotel in Atlanta.

Yes its everyday. Most of the time I dont know what day of the week it is. As far as how long you spend there, it all depends on what stage of the program it is and how you and your instructor work it out.

No dress code. At least no formal one.

As far as I know its just from the career pilot program

I dont have any numbers on that one, but suprisingly a good number of people just want to go back home and not teach at ATP.

What kind of procedures are you talking about?you generally spend the first day filling out paper work.

You can move in the saturday before the monday start date.

about what?

I can only answer about Jax. And at the Jax apartments there arent any. But you can log in at the airport.

hope this helps
-Brian

Phew...

Brian is in Jax and I'm in DFW... don't know each other... but it looks like our answers were pretty similar!
smile.gif

We must have been responding at the same time. But at least you can see that there is consistency at different locations.
wink.gif

One more thing...
[ QUOTE ]
pilotmandy
New User
Reged: Jul 25 2003

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to JC.com!
grin.gif

Bob

Captain Bob,

I was thinking of going to the Dallas location. So what is it like there?

I don't know what ratings you hold or how much time you have but what was the transition like going from SE to doing everything in a ME? Is it difficult? Do they still use new planes in that location?

Is everything rush, rush, rush? (to meet the 90 days) I have a hard time believing everything can be tought in such a fast pasted program? Can you explain?

Hi Aviator,

The Dallas location is.... HOT! I just moved here from Maine and I can't believe how friggin' hot it is here!
smile.gif
I actually grew up here but moved away 8 years ago and I am just now getting re-acclimated.

Anyway, you're probably not as interested in the weather as you are in the location itself. Well for starter's the location is air-conditioned!
tongue.gif
Sorry, still stuck on the heat thing... Actually DFW is a great location... lot's to do when you're not studying. Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys, Stars, & Mavericks. Six Flags, Great Concerts, Awesome Water Parks, West End Dallas, and Fort Worth has the Stock Yards and Sundance Square. You also have some great lakes nearby too.

As far as the training location goes. GKY (Arlington Municipal) is just under the DFW Class B Airspace. It's a great little airport to train at, and we do most of our Instrument Approaches at Fort Worth Spinks (FWS). The Arlington Jet Center (ATP's location on the field) is a nice location, probably the nicest on the field. They have a large classroom, and two smaller (4 person) classrooms, as well as an older generic Twin Simulator and a newer Level 3 AST Twin Simulator. That pretty much makes up the location except for the main office area. They also have a C-172, and 4 of the newer Seminoles at this location.

They just moved the ATP students into newer apartments too... The new location pretty much beats the heck out of the older one. It's nicer, gated, and has pools and a small workout room.

The instructors are great too... (Kris, are you reading this??)

As far as my experience prior to entering... I had just finished up my PPL in Maine back in May with 65 hours. Within the first week of the program I had my MEL and felt very comfortable with it. I am now shooting approaches in the Seminole with ease as I work on my Instrument Rating. As far as the transition goes... I was scared to death when they told my after my first day that my Multi checkride was scheduled the following Tuesday... However, the training put me at ease, and now I dread going back to a Cessna.
smile.gif

Is everything rush, rush, rush? Well, quite simply, yes. One way to avoid that is to have your writtens done prior to starting the program. I did my Instrument and II, and that helped greatly. However, your flight instructor will simply not sign you off if they don't feel you are ready to take the next step. In fact... they get a bonus if you pass your checkride the first time so there's an incredible amount of incentive for your flight instructor to ensure you learn each rating properly.

As far as believing if it can be done within 90 days or not... Just call 1-800-ALL-ATPS. The folks answering the phones have successfully completed the program and were hired as flight instructors... they are just waiting for a location to open up. Soooo, they are more than happy to chat with folks about the program... it makes their day go by faster!
smile.gif
Give them a call. The guy I spoke with, prior to signing up, gave me some very realistic expectations, which I really appreciated.

Also, just peruse the other flight school forums here on JC.com, review them and compare some of the comments... I think you'll notice a difference.

Lastly, it took me over a year to get my PPL, due to my schedule, my FBO having cruddy planes, Maine weather, my instructor not being available, etc... This caused a lot of "re-learning" on my part due to the extended period of time between lessons and flights. This "Fast Paced Program" is just that... "Fast Paced", and a "Program". It's well thought out with a good timeline. Flying every day and learning everyday is the way to go (for me anyway). It helps you retain what you just learned and also helps you hone your skills each and every day.

Is everything taught and learned in 90 days? Yes... Everything needed to pass the FAA required Oral and Checkride. However... Is "EVERYTHING" taught and learned in 90 days? Well, the answer to that is quite simply, no. Each new ticket is a license to learn. Quite frankly, I'm still learning things that I wish I had learned for my PPL... I suspect that will always be the case. Around every hangar door is a new learning opportunity.

I hope this helps... Some people may not agree with my intrepretation, but it works for me. Just do your research... and I know you'll pick the right school. Whether or not you choose ATP... I wish you luck, and I look forward to seeing you "in the skies".
smile.gif

Bob

Ooh, how close are the amusement parks to your location? I'm always for good amusement.. parks.. yeah.
cool.gif

What are all of the WRITTEN exams that are required during the ACPP program. Is it private, instrument, CFI, and CFII?

Written Exams for ACPP
IRA - Instrument Rating Airplane
FII - Flight Instructor Instrument
CAX - Commercial Airplane
FIA - Flight Instructor Airplane
FOI - Fundamentals of Instructing

Optional written exams, (not needed for ACPP)
IGI - Instrument Ground Instructor
AGI - Advanced Ground Instructor

Have fun taking them!

Hi Bob
Yes, that's me behind the sun glasses and hat. I am looking for a CFII position right now. Good luck in your job hunting.

Back