Academy Pay

-=Deniz=-

Hey you guys, I have a question, I was playing around with ATCS pay scale calculator and after every result it says something along the lines of:

Upon arrival at Academy , you will be paid XX,xxx
Upon arrival at your Facility, you will be paid XX,xxx

Is the pay that you receive at the academy (that the calculator mentions) part of the per diem (or is it the whole thing?)

I know most of you have seen it but here is the link to the calculator anyway
http://www.stuckmic.com/atc-pay-scale.html

So that is what you are paid while in OKC on top of the diem? Sorry if I seem retarded but im just a little confused whats the point of the per diem when you are getting paid? I mean it's not like your gonna be at OKC for a whole year so why put trainees on a salary and a perdiem? Is it like a stipend or something?

So that is what you are paid while in OKC on top of the diem? Sorry if I seem retarded but im just a little confused whats the point of the per diem when you are getting paid? I mean it's not like your gonna be at OKC for a whole year so why put trainees on a salary and a perdiem? Is it like a stipend or something?

Well, I can't speak for all people, but I will not be "moving" to OKC. My family will stay behind in FL because my daughter will be in school. So rather than try and pay two mortgages/rent with just a salary, we have the per diem to pay for our housing in OKC. Which I think is the way it should be because we are going out there for training, not a permanent appointment for our job.

Well, I can't speak for all people, but I will not be "moving" to OKC. My family will stay behind in FL because my daughter will be in school. So rather than try and pay two mortgages/rent with just a salary, we have the per diem to pay for our housing in OKC. Which I think is the way it should be because we are going out there for training, not a permanent appointment for our job.
Correct. That's why Oklahoma City area trainees don't get the per diem. No need to maintain two residences. But I understand that they are allowed to claim mileage to and from the Academy from their residence.

After taxes, insurance and all that jazz we walk away with about $1100/month off the salary (not per diem). There is no way I can pay my mortgage, rent, car insurance, buy food and live off $1100/month with the family. Rent and food alone would take that entire budget. Now add in gas and car insurance, utilities, my mortgage...we would be dead in the water without the per diem!

FutureATCer - our entire family came out. We took our daughter out of school in Utah and put her in school here. I have LOVED the school here and my daughter begs me to not have to go back to Utah, she likes it here more! I am actually kinda sad to have to go back to Utah and put her in school there cause she is learning so much better here!

i have a relatively dumb question...

but how exactly are we paid in training?

i heard a horror story that you dont get your salary until we graduate...

obviouisly thats not true but whens the first paycheck? biweekly after that i assume?

how is perdiem paid to us?? one lump sum or issued everyday?

We should be able to turn in the per diem request and housing, etc, on the 15th day, and the checks are cut every two weeks, and withheld two weeks, so you don't get your first check until 4 weeks in, and continue recieving paychecks each two weeks thereafter, until the two weeks following graduation. make sense?

My husband got in at the last week of the 2 week pay period. The work week ended on the Saturday and not the next Tuesday but the Tuesday after that we received payment for that week he worked. So we got the first pay check 2 weeks after he started.

My husband got in at the last week of the 2 week pay period. The work week ended on the Saturday and not the next Tuesday but the Tuesday after that we received payment for that week he worked. So we got the first pay check 2 weeks after he started.

This would be much better- any amount of time sooner than two-four weeks would be GREAT! :rawk:

i have a relatively dumb question...

but how exactly are we paid in training?

i heard a horror story that you dont get your salary until we graduate...

obviouisly thats not true but whens the first paycheck? biweekly after that i assume?

how is perdiem paid to us?? one lump sum or issued everyday?
You get paid every other Tuesday for salary. The 2-week pay periods end on Saturdays and you get that pay 1.5 weeks later on Tuesday. Per diem is paid anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks after you first file, which you are allowed to do two weeks from your travel day (the day before you start). You can then file for per diem every 30 days.

Back