? About logging multi time

FlyingFireman

I have PPL, no inst. rating, low time. I have an opportunity to accompany a MEI that I know on a xc trip where he is ferrying a plane across the country and back. According to him I can log this as multi-time dual. I am a little confused on this, just wanted to make sure it's legit. I think this will be 20 hours or so of multi time I could get for just the cost of a hotel...not a bad deal. Would this multi time count eventually toward my total multi time? Please let me know! thanks in advance!

I have PPL, no inst. rating, low time. I have an opportunity to accompany a MEI that I know on a xc trip where he is ferrying a plane across the country and back. According to him I can log this as multi-time dual. I am a little confused on this, just wanted to make sure it's legit. I think this will be 20 hours or so of multi time I could get for just the cost of a hotel...not a bad deal. Would this multi time count eventually toward my total multi time? Please let me know! thanks in advance!

Well, he's an instructor, so let him instruct you on the way and count it towards your total multi-time and dual received, but no multi-PIC. As long as his MEI is current, yes, you can log it. By 20 hours, you should be able to fly the multi as easily as you fly the single. Get some takeoffs and landings in as well. You most likely won't be doing any single engine stuff, but you can "practice" other stuff...have fun with it. Sounds like a good time.

If he's a MEI (a CFI with a multi-engine airplane CFI rating) you two can certainly agree that he will instruct you on the trip and you may log the time accordingly.

What's the part that's confusing you? Maybe I'm missing something in your question?

I have PPL, no inst. rating, low time. I have an opportunity to accompany a MEI that I know on a xc trip where he is ferrying a plane across the country and back. According to him I can log this as multi-time dual.

You can log it as Multi - Dual Received, as long as he is instructing. No PIC though (you don't have a multi-class certificate). I would study as much as you can before you go.

You'll probably only need an hour or two in another twin when you get back to add the multi (which you might as well do). Actually, see if you can schedule a multi checkride while you are away - you'll be able to fly back PIC :)

You can log it as Multi - Dual Received, as long as he is instructing. No PIC though (you don't have a multi-class certificate). I would study as much as you can before you go.

You'll probably only need an hour or two in another twin when you get back to add the multi (which you might as well do). Actually, see if you can schedule a multi checkride while you are away - you'll be able to fly back PIC :)

I doubt it will only take an additional hour or two before a checkride, he still has to do much more training than what is conducted on a regular flight. Single engine ops mainly.

Also I have been asked this question before but not sure the answer, is it possible to get your original private pilot in a twin without ever flying a single, such as a student who buys a light twin and has no intention of flying singles?

Also I have been asked this question before but not sure the answer, is it possible to get your original private pilot in a twin without ever flying a single, such as a student who buys a light twin and has no intention of flying singles?
Yup.

Alot of mil guys have done it that way. Had a bear of a time a few weeks ago to find someone to go fly a single with me as safety pilot because of that.......all I wanted to do was take a civilian plane up for some instrument work in a light aircraft. Couldn't find a collegue qualified to just sit there in the right seat and play safety! All had thousands of hours, but never in a single.

If you have the time and the funds, you might even consider getting your PP AMEL beforehand then the entire trip would be Multi PIC. If you ever plan on making a career of this and/or becoming an MEI you will need 15hr Multi PIC before taking the MEI ride. This could prove to be a great money saver for the future.

Whatever you do, make sure there is actual instruction being given rather than just logging the time.

Also, why is it being ferried cross country and then back?

You can log it as others have stated, but legally it will cost you more than just a hotel.

He is not acting as PIC, therefore it doesn't matter whether he pays for it or not.

Yes... but good luck finding someone willing to insure a solo in a twin.

I think they are referring to the FAA considering free flight time as compensation?

Doesn't matter... he's not getting free flight time, he's getting instruction. As long as he doesn't log more than 8 hours a day (because the MEI may only instruct 8 hours a day) then he's good to go.

Back