ABC 15 loads on the cr@p ....

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
As I was bedding down for the night, last night, ABC 15 (here in PHX) was on. I left it on because I caught a promo about a story they were going to run on the 10 p.m. newscast about Mesa Airlines and specifically Jonathon Orenstein.

What a load of BS this thing was.

All it talked about was how much this guy loved his employees and how he was a highschool drop-out and how he was a rap-music-listening-motorcycle-riding hotshot of a success. They actually had shots of him popping a wheely on his bike and screeching down the street in his Mini. The "story" was reported by one of ABC 15's Anchors, Jonathon Elias. "This guy goes in and takes over failed airlines, re-tools them and makes them a success," Elais said wrapping up the piece - and for about the fourth time. Never once did they mention his attempt to break the pilot's union with Freedom Air or that the reason he's so successful is because he exploits his employees.

The thing that made me laugh the absolute most was the line by Elias "while he (Orenstein) admidts he doesn't pay the big bucks he makes up for it in other ways." To which the story cuts to Orenstein talking about company basketball tournaments and other HR gimmicks. That's all great and well but stupid crap like basketball tournaments doesn't pay rent, medical bills, groceries etc.

I atually went over to the computer, turned it back on and fired off an e-mail to Elias. Won't do much but I slept a little better.

Ya that sucks when people get a rep they really don't deserve. Hey what good places are there in PHX for twin building?

About the cheapest place I know is Airzona Aviation. They have two PA-23s (Apache) for rent at about $110/hr - andthat may be with an instructor (I can't remember).

There used to be a place down at Stellar called Accelerated Flight Training but I think they've since folded.

Just about everyone else in town all rents Seminoles/Senecas. But there are 10 airports in the area and I'm sure there are a couple of other places that aren't too bad.

Everyone's trying to be the next Herb Kelleher.

Next, I expect to see Leo Mullin and Don Carty in the mosh pit at a Korn concert talking about keeping employees happy.

Well someone has to be the next Herb since he appears to be on his last leg. Personally I think it will be good ole' Davey from jetBlue but I think he beats his drum to Pearl Jam

Actually if the mosh pit were construed of Delta employees I'm sure Mullin in the middle of it would make plenty of people happy!
grin.gif

Heh ... actually ... Mullin could raise all sorts of operating capital by selling tickets at $100 bucks a head for a mosh pit party with a guarantee that top management would be there!

His name is Jonathan Ornstein. I don't recall him ever taking over an airline. He originally worked for Mesa-West Air. He left to restructure Co-Ex, which he admits was an ugly part of his life.

He returned to Mesa at the request of the BOD in 1997, so I guess he has found his home.

He is management, so there are times he does things that are not so pro-pilot, he also does a lot of those "politically correct" things CEOs do.

The bike ride is real though. Every year JO and a bunch of his employees (including pilots) do a bike ride around Arizona for charity, very similar to the Victory Junction ride.

He's just a guy like you and me. He does his job and so far he has done it very well. I'm not always happy with the result but I'm pretty happy with the stock price right now (10 and climbing!)

If you want to pick on someone, try Steve Wolf or Bob Ferguson. Neither of them has improved an airline since they got to it!

I admidt I don't know the inner workings of Mesa - hell I barely know the inner workings of the PA-23 I fly (
grin.gif
) but when a guy tries to end-run around an established union - and one that barely guarantees sub-standard wages - I don't lump him in with the heros of this world.

Just my stupid opinion that's all.
laugh.gif

And I do agree there are far worse CEOs out there than this guy - it was just the way this piece made Orenstein seem like a hero or God that I had an issue with.

[ QUOTE ]
it was just the way this piece made Orenstein seem like a hero or God that I had an issue with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that stuff turns my stomach too. He's certainly not a god! Hero? Well no more than you or I, the grunts in the trenches.

I do admire him though. We are the same age and it's interesting to compare notes now and then and see where each has progressed.

On your standard media "success" scale, which is power and money, I suppose he has surpassed me. On the other hand, I spend a lot more time with my family.

I'd like to be an airline CEO for a day and see what those shoes really feel like. Probably pretty stressful.

I just think that Mesa Air Group is a crappy airline. They pay low, but at least that gives good turnover when the industry is good.....every 15 years or so.

Ya see Mike that is one of the misconceptions. Mesa pay is neither low nor high. In fact, their pay is adjusted every year to the industry average. That means that there are just as many lower paying airlines as higher.

The work rules are not ideal but that has an upside. The conception that things are "better" at another airline cause many people to jump ship when times are tough and seniority moves more quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see Mike that is one of the misconceptions. Mesa pay is neither low nor high. In fact, their pay is adjusted every year to the industry average. That means that there are just as many lower paying airlines as higher.

The work rules are not ideal but that has an upside. The conception that things are "better" at another airline cause many people to jump ship when times are tough and seniority moves more quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all perception, John, with the "grass is greener" theory, like was mentioned. Reality is, there's no secure airline jobs these days, no more 300K Captains like was advertised to me, mainlines are having to tough it out with RJs and vice versa, etc.

Every airline, as every company, has it's lions share of crap.

[ QUOTE ]
Every airline, as every company, has it's lions share of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put! and 100% correct
smile.gif

Back