AA Openings

Well, it would be a pay cut--but not nearly as drastic as I would have to take at a smaller regional. LOL. I'm going to apply!

They have to be kidding with that pay... I make more at a regional. What an embarrassment, especially with the requirements they have posted.

"$2,142.48 while in training" Wow, I make way more than that a month on the ramp, without OT. It's bad when you can go to regional and make more without having to deal with the extensive hiring process. Plus DFW isn't a very cheap place to live....

To be fair, AA did have a tentative agreement for a new contract with a significantly higher Delta-like pay scale, right when the Chapter 11 was announced, and that got thrown out. But I agree, it would be hard to start over at those wages (although I don't think DFW is that bad in terms of cost of living - many places are worse.) It says something that the company didn't seek to cut dispatcher pay any as part of the reorganization - the current contract agreement is almost exactly like the pre-bankruptcy one.

To be fair, AA did have a tentative agreement for a new contract with a significantly higher Delta-like pay scale, right when the Chapter 11 was announced, and that got thrown out. But I agree, it would be hard to start over at those wages (although I don't think DFW is that bad in terms of cost of living - many places are worse.) It says something that the company didn't seek to cut dispatcher pay any as part of the reorganization - the current contract agreement is almost exactly like the pre-bankruptcy one.

AA management probably gave them a good agreement just to keep them quiet knowing they were going into Chapter 11.

AA management probably gave them a good agreement just to keep them quiet knowing they were going into Chapter 11.

Actually, I think it was the lack of progress in pilot negotiations that put them over the top and had them decide to do a BK. Just my opinion though.

Actually, I think it was the lack of progress in pilot negotiations that put them over the top and had them decide to do a BK. Just my opinion though.

The point that I was trying to make is that management probably didn't care too much about the dispatch group judging as how small they are compared to the pilot group. By knowing that it's such a small group, they agreed to many of the changes in the contract knowing that they wouldn't get it since they were going to file BK.

"$2,142.48 while in training" Wow, I make way more than that a month on the ramp, without OT. It's bad when you can go to regional and make more without having to deal with the extensive hiring process. Plus DFW isn't a very cheap place to live....

AA HDQs is in the suburbs where the cost of living is actually pretty cheap. Short of living downtown, DFW is relatively cheap compared to other major cities. Not justifying pay in anyway... just saying.

The point that I was trying to make is that management probably didn't care too much about the dispatch group judging as how small they are compared to the pilot group. By knowing that it's such a small group, they agreed to many of the changes in the contract knowing that they wouldn't get it since they were going to file BK.
I know the feeling...it's sad that we have just as much responsibility for the flight as the pilot's and yet we are treated like the redheaded step-child. Equal Responsibility, Equal Pay. I think that's why you saw SWA DX get somewhere between FO & Capt pay.

I know the feeling...it's sad that we have just as much responsibility for the flight as the pilot's and yet we are treated like the redheaded step-child. Equal Responsibility, Equal Pay. I think that's why you saw SWA DX get somewhere between FO & Capt pay.

Where did this notion that dispatchers "have just as much responsibility for the flight as the pilot" come from? Re-read FAR 121.533. Part (b) says:

"The pilot in command and the aircraft dispatcher are jointly responsible for the preflight planning, delay, and dispatch release of a flight in compliance with this chapter and operations specifications."

Joint responsibility does not necessarily mean equal responsibility. But even if it does, that joint responsibility only goes so far; i.e. until the flight moves from "planning" to "execution." Once that happens, the dispatcher's responsibilities change to:

FAR 121.533(c)
(1) Monitoring the progress of each flight;
(2) Issuing necessary information for the safety of the flight; and
(3) Cancelling or redispatching a flight if, in his opinion or the opinion of the pilot in command, the flight cannot operate or continue to operate safely as planned or released.

While the dispatcher is doing all that...

(d) Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.

Now what part of any of this suggests to you that a dispatcher has anywhere near the level responsibility of the Pilot in Command? Certainly the dispatcher plays an important role, but the two levels of responsibility are hardly equal. Because if the dispatcher can claim equality of responsibility, then so can the First Officer, and the Flight Attendant, and the Ground Crew.

DFW isn't bad, cheaper than Orlando. There is a decent apartment complex right next to the AA training academy in DFW for $500 a month for a 1 bedroom. No state income tax either.

Any way you could give me more details on that complex? I might be relocating to Dallas with Southwest and most decent complexes in nice areas are charging 800-1000 a month for a 1bd, which is costlier than Orlando btw. Plus we also enjoy no state income tax!

Southwest hdqs and Love Field are downtown Dallas. Thats about a 30 min drive from AA/DFW.

Texas is income tax free too, BTW.

I didnt read the AA posting but I assume they only hire experienced dispatchers?

Yes, but with their starting pay so low, it never hurts to apply. If you have any kind of airline operations background they may substitute that for the dispatch experience, who knows.

Anyone else see this at the bottom of the job description?

* Travel to the interview and any subsequent relocation expenses are the responsibility of the candidate.

Back