AA and AE to park planes....

Well I hope they upgrade the GDS and reservation systems so the passengers can pay in advance for their checked bags - heck, it's a good day when I have cash on me for the van driver! :D

Here's what da boss man say.

JFK-SJU on the A300 has not been profitable. Get the A300s outta here. 15 Airbii in an all Boeing(MD) fleet = not efficient.

With fewer passengers in SJU, Executive doesn't need as much lift. Move some ATRs to DFW.

Park the DFW Saabs.

Try to park all EMB 135s.

Exciting times....

Ha, sweet! Looks like I picked a great time to get into aviation. Learning costs increasing, pilot jobs decreasing and pilot salaries decreasing. WOOOO HOOOOOO!! :banghead:

Best part, the industry I was working in is also laying people off!

Oh well. Can't change the past, can only work towards the future!

I wish all those who are faced with possible furlough the best.

Tell me about it. Try being in the position of graduating college at the moment :D

Thank you for pointing out the typo, by the way lowerer is NOT a word!

A consumer obviously looks for the best deal, how is that a bar "lowerer"?

I guess you go to the highest cost providers for all your needs?

Nice one man! I was hoping you would re-bring it.

You-Are-Awesome_%28The_Office%29.gif

Tell me about it. Try being in the position of graduating college at the moment :D

Congrats man! Huge accomplishment.

That there is the kind of attitude to have, good on ya! That, and always having a plan 'B', 'C', and possibly 'D' :)

Yeah, I find no use in worrying about things that are outside of my control. I will make the best of whatever is thrown at me. I love flying and will peruse it regardless. If it becomes impossible or very impractical, I have a few different options I can go to.

The former AMR CEO (sorry, I forgot his name) was on CNBC today calling for the gov't to enforce larger planes, less frequency, and (surprisingly) more train service between NYC and DC. I can't say I disagree with him, but I am also aware of the consequences to pilots in that scenario. Frequency is great for the traveler, but efficiency is better for the airlines. Guess which one will eventually win.

I'm the worst when it comes to grammar and spelling on the 'net....but I see this phrase a lot and it always bothers me (not sure why...not too much gets to me).

However, we graduate from college....we don't graduate college.

There needs to be a preposition between the verb and the noun.

Golfers are the absolute worst. "I hit driver on that hole." No...you hit a driver on that hole.

Letter 3 has expired
TECHNICALLY yes, but realistically, it's been "tabled". The arbitrator has made a decision which has been sealed at the request of both APA and ALPA.

so American pilots will be furloughed vice flowing back to Eagle.
Nope. That ship has sailed. Eagle will not be allowing the AA furloughees to flow back again.

frog_flyer said:

JFK-SJU on the A300 has not been profitable. Get the A300s outta here. 15 Airbii in an all Boeing(MD) fleet = not efficient.

With fewer passengers in SJU, Executive doesn't need as much lift. Move some ATRs to DFW.

Park the DFW Saabs.

Try to park all EMB 135s.
This is precisely what I've been hearing as well.

Exciting times....

I actually disagree here. The after ownership costs on the A300 are probably lower than on most of the Boeings. The killer for those airplanes is the price of fuel. Remember that they are established in the fleet with the technical support for them. Just because an airline operates an all Airbus or an all Boeing fleet doesnt mean that their is significant cost savings. There are a lot of differences between each model of aircraft. Tooling is the only real issue with operating both fleets. Airbus uses metric. Remember Delta and Continental both operate very small fleets of certain jets. Delta has 8 777-200ERs and 2 772LRs.

JFK-SJU is a market where there is a lot of traffic between those two cities. There is a large Puerto Rican population in New York and using a low CASM aircraft a few times a day is probably a smarter way of serving the market.

Now in all fairness the A300s should go. You're right that they're kinda an oddball.

MEMO TO SELF:

operating airplanes = losing money

parking airplanes = making money

I somehow always knew this was the case.

Ha, sweet! Looks like I picked a great time to get into aviation. Learning costs increasing, pilot jobs decreasing and pilot salaries decreasing. WOOOO HOOOOOO!! :banghead:

Keep in mind, guys, that only six months ago regionals were still hiring people with super-low times like crazy. I know it's a little frustrating to see the slowdowns/possible furloughs, but things change really fast. I (and a lot of the other folks on here) started training around 9/11. It was impossible then (and really until a couple of years ago) to go from private pilot to airline in 6 months, but that just meant that a lot of us had to stick it out instructing or flying checks until we got a call back.

It is not a bad thing to have a couple thousand hours when you reach an airline!

Keep in mind, guys, that only six months ago regionals were still hiring people with super-low times like crazy. I know it's a little frustrating to see the slowdowns/possible furloughs, but things change really fast. I (and a lot of the other folks on here) started training around 9/11. It was impossible then (and really until a couple of years ago) to go from private pilot to airline in 6 months, but that just meant that a lot of us had to stick it out instructing or flying checks until we got a call back.

It is not a bad thing to have a couple thousand hours when you reach an airline!

I agree....people hired with such low time should be grateful they in the right seat after 6 months, instead of complaining, "Dude, where's my upgrade?"

I heard something funny yesterday around AMR HDQ:

"The farther away you get from the passengers, the more money you make."

So true.

MEMO TO SELF:

operating airplanes = losing money

parking airplanes = making money

I somehow always knew this was the case.

Nah, it's more like:

operating airplanes = losing LOTS OF money

parking airplanes = losing slightly less money

In the States at least. Unfortunately.

Wonder why the other countries have it figured out and we're losing our shirt, pants, shoes and socks? Free market? Deregulation?

Back