A320 partial separation of the left-hand elevator continues to destination

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:29-JAN-2023
Time:c. 13:15 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic A320 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Airbus A320-214
Owner/operator:flyCAA
MSN:03900
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Minor
9Q.gif
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Phase:Initial climb
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Mbuji-Mayi Airport (MJM/FZWA)
Destination airport:Kinshasa-N'Djili Airport (FIH/FZAA)
Narrative:
FlyCAA flight BU415, an Airbus A320-214, suffered a partial separation of the left-hand elevator during departure from Mbuji Mayi (MJM).
The flight continued to the destination were it landed safely at 14:45 UTC.

1675078929179.jpeg

1675078782119.jpeg

Probably didn't know.

The 350 can have a control surface completely freeze up or down, the flight control computers will solve the roll/pitch moment with a combination of flaps, spoilers, ailerons, etc, and spit out a performance penalty and lead you to continue or land.

But entirely losing a surface, that's something much different.

That airplane was made when the contemporary drama in the Lav included:
  1. the death of Bea Arthur
  2. a discussion about if Fox News is biased
  3. Popeye's Chicken running out of chicken
  4. a thread about how Swine Flu is really just the flu
  5. @Maximilian_Jenius joins the Facebook
  6. @WacoFan assuaged our fears that Miss California could keep her title after Donald Trump decided her remarks were not controversial.
    etc.

In our old school maintenance book for the 767 it has a reference to PDA : parts departing aircraft. Hope I never have to send that one in.

Probably didn't know.

The 350 can have a control surface completely freeze up or down, the flight control computers will solve the roll/pitch moment with a combination of flaps, spoilers, ailerons, etc, and spit out a performance penalty and lead you to continue or land.

But entirely losing a surface, that's something much different.

Are you on the 350 now?

In our old school maintenance book for the 767 it has a reference to PDA : parts departing aircraft. Hope I never have to send that one in.

During the lead up to the Tokyo Olympics (before they got delayed and then nobody was actually allowed to go) there was a really big deal made to carriers flying in and out of HND about PDA. We got a memo about doing extra thorough walk around to make sure we didn't miss a loose access panel or something.

Halfway through initial!

Yeah, I should probably throttle back talking about it so much. Message received.

Well you did unintentionally reveal to us that you guys have constant near midairs, even in the simulator (I mean, how does that even happen?). I guess that is because the 350 invalidates the sage wisdom of "little plane big sky". :)

Back