A320 - 1 emb175 - 0

I open my DV window and summon him over.

I think it's a SERIOUS design flaw the CRJ doesn't have a window or hatch that opens.

I yell down "Why can't I go?"

"Captain, you didn't start #2"

"I know", I yell, "I have gauges that tell me that!! I still want to taxi out!!"

He finally gives me the salute, and off I go....

IMO, this is a training fail. They shoulda told this guy that single engine taxi is approved. Actually good on him for paying attention rather than just saluting over his shoulder as he ran to catch up with the pushback.

ASpilot2be said:
Interesting. My manager seems to frequent the ramp quite often. Of course our entire operation hinges on one airlines contract. So he wants to make sure things go smoothly.

Sadly, ours (unless you count Colgan) is tied to one airline, too. Unfortunately, management has everyone so convinced the pilots are gonna bankrupt the airline for not taking an "industry average" contract, they don't examine their own departments.

How difficult is it to walk under a wingtip and quickly wave your hands around if you think it's about to hit something?

How difficult is it to walk under a wingtip and quickly wave your hands around if you think it's about to hit something?

How many WING walkers actually walk all the way out. Guess you get what you pay for. We cut the pay of our rampers, crews etc. You get this stuff going on.

Well, since that block time was lost by the mainline crew affecting their retirements, I guess us youngin's will just work 'till we're 70.

You know, paying it forward and what not. :crazy:

For the dense: :sarcasm:

Well done Sir lol.

For what it's worth, a year or two ago, a spirit 320 taxied into gate 5 in bos when we had a 1900 backed up on 7 or 6. Airbus wingtip hit the 1900 tail. 1900 was flying 30 minutes later, airbus I heard was days( no dammage to the 1900) so: 1900>320>175.... Sounds about right, Americans know how to build airplanes right :)

he's not the only point of failure, the marshaller has to be paying attention to see the wingwalker give him the X.

I flew with a guy who was friends with a station manager at one of our outstations and they had a problem with a marshaller who they had been getting reports wasnt paying attention to his wing walkers. To catch him and make a point to him, they coordinated on a flight he would be flying in, and with one of the wing walkers to give a STOP signal during on the inbound taxi. The FO saw the wing walker showing the STOP signal the crew stopped. The marshaller completely unaware of his wingwalker impatiently prodded the crew to continue taxiing inbound until the crew pointed to the wing walker.

He got some additional training from the station after that one.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the UAX ramp in IAD this summer. Maybe they'll throw us reserves a bone and send us up there for a trip or two. On second thought, they probably won't. They can't have us noobs doing something stupid that makes a bad impression with big U.

In all my days, I don't think this marshalling episode will be topped. I've seen about all of it on the ramp, but this is king.

We were flying for UAX out of IAD in the G-gates right after ACA and UAL split. They hired the absolute best help they could for $6/hr in the DC metro area, and it showed. However, I can't fault this guy for trying.

It was int'l rush hour, and I'm number last. We push back, going to IAH, so I'm loaded with people, bags and gas. Long line so I want to single engine taxi.

We're disconnected, I've got #1 spinning. I give the marshaller the taxi light flash. He stands there with the big red X.

I flash him again. He holds the X and shakes it (you've all seen it when you're about 500' from the top of the T). We look around, no planes or equipment to be seen. We call ramp, no one inbound, outbound or behind us.

I flash him again. He starts pointing at the jet and dancing like he's been standing on a mound of fire ants.

I open my DV window and summon him over.

I yell down "Why can't I go?"

"Captain, you didn't start #2"

"I know", I yell, "I have gauges that tell me that!! I still want to taxi out!!"

He finally gives me the salute, and off I go....

Priceless.

Ironically it's normally the mainline ground crews that are marshalling me in while either looking at the ground, the sky, the hot girl in the terminal window, etc.

Then they are splashed across the DCA ramp, with their guts across the boarding stair door footprint, and their watch line-driven somewhere into a highway... when they pull that crap with a Dash 8.

I can only imagine what the pax thought when the crown of someone's head hits their window, THEN they have to step over the same person's innards covered in a blue sheet.

I do NOT have to imagine very much what the FO saw when it happened... it is gruesome.

I don't see much gore in these photos, just bent metal. Remember that.

Are you saying you WERE the FO? I'd heard the FA saw the whole thing happen. Thankfully (knock on wood) that hasn't happened in a while.

How many WING walkers actually walk all the way out. Guess you get what you pay for. We cut the pay of our rampers, crews etc. You get this stuff going on.
I dont know about other places, but where I work we walk the wings to the stopping point. Then the right wing walker becomes the marshaller and the left wing walker disconnects the tug from the aircraft.

Back