A UPT pilot slot

smokey1

I was just wondering how hard it would be for me to get a slot in UPT. I graduate from college in December and I will be 23. Also would it help if I had all my ratings or just say.........up through my Single Engine commercial?1.
Smokey........................................................................

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering how hard it would be for me to get a slot in UPT. I graduate from college in December and I will be 23. Also would it help if I had all my ratings or just say.........up through my Single Engine commercial?1.
Smokey........................................................................

[/ QUOTE ]

Ratings don't help all that much, they just show some basic aptitude. Academic scores are what really count. If you're already a college graduate, and you desire to apply to active duty, then your only route would be Officer Training School where you need to apply to be accepted for an officer slot, then for a job slot (prior to being offered a OTS slot).

You could always try for an ANG or AFRES slot, but those are few and far between.

Smokey-

Just to give you a little background on me. I was selected to be an Officer and Pilot with the 143rd Airlift Wing back in August 2001. I was 23 at the time with almost a PPSEL, non-prior service and did not know anyone at the unit. So, it IS VERY possible to be selected for a Guard UPT slot for someone in your shoes. I am leaving for the Academy of Military Science tomorrow to be commissioned as a 2LT and I have a class start date down at Vance AFB 3 December.

I would add that good college grades, good scores on the AFOQT and a lot of enthusiasm and motivation WILL get you a slot!! Granted that their could be medical issues that could either potentially disqualify somene and/or hold up the process. Bottom line is- if you have the heart and desire to become a USAF pilot- go for it- and you will get a slot.

Wow, good luck with that. I have decent grades, but nothing spectacular....... I missed a lot of classes and stuff do to travel and time spent in the hospital while playing baseball in college. Right now I'm working on my PPL. Anyway, good luck. I'm off to the airport, I've got the plane reserved for 3.
Smokey.....................................................................

It's been awhile since I posted but I thought I'd interject here. I've been having quite the opposite experience from 130Guy. I started going after a UPT slot about a year ago and am still going after it. I've been in contact with 4 diff. units and have had a very difficult time getting sponsored for something a simple as taking the AFOQT and the BAT. This is with recommendations from 2 General officers and a full bird. C130 guy had slightly bad eyes and still got a slot, however he is waiverable. I'm not so that is a HUGE hurdle that I've been trying to get around. Still not sure if I will ultimately be able to get around it, but I won't know if I don't try. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but going the AFRES or ANG way is not easy, in the least, and it takes alot of patience, work, and time investment. Just my $.02.

My CFI for my private was a prior-service Naval officer and got hired into an F-16 Guard unit. He didn't know anyone in the unit, had no sponsors or anything. He did contact and apply with virtually every Guard fighter unit in the country until he found one interested in him. The very first one he applied to told him that they wouldn't even consider him without at least a PPL, so he went out and dropped $7k and did it in 3 wks. After that, he kept going and got his CFI before he got hired. Lucky bastidge just graduated from Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard AFB, TX and is working his way through IFF, then on to F-16 FTU at Luke AFB, then survival, then back to his Guard unit for 18 months of "seasoning". Then hopefully, on to a regional.

With the 10 yr commitment required of active-duty pilots, I tell everyone I come in contact with who's interested in a civilian flying career to go guard or reserve. MUCH better deal. They're hiring, too--with the increased likelihood of deployments due to greater integration of the guard and reserve into the AEF model, they're seeing greater turnover than before, and fewer active-duty types trying to join (which means more entry-level slots). There's a book out there somewhere on how to go about getting a pilot slot with guard and reserve units, do a search for it and check it out.

The book Aloft is talking about is the 2003 Pilots Guide to Flying in the Guard & Reserve by Robert Black. It sells for $40.95 + $6 shipping. Has all the addresses of ALL (300+pages)the flying units in the country as well as points of contact and hiring plans. I ended up enlisting shortly after it was shipped to me so if anyone is interested purchasing a current mint condition copy of this book for $25 (shipping included) PM me for my contact info.

Hootie I might be interested but I am gonna see if the library has it first. I might PM you with some personal Questions though, if you don't mind. Let me know?

I don't mind if you or anybody PM's me. 99% sure your library doesn't have the book. You can get it though off the internet.

Back