"...a step forward for all Mesa pilots" (huh?!)

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Mesa Pilots Ratify New Contract with Significant Gains
Wednesday December 10, 5:20 pm ET

Pilots express need for company to build trust, follow contract to be successful
PHOENIX, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- After years of working under a substandard contract, the Mesa Air Group (Nasdaq: MESA - News) pilots, who are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA), today ratified a new agreement that contains numerous industry-standard and industry-leading provisions. However, the pilot group was split nearly even on their support for this agreement, indicating that much work still needs to be done by the company to provide the necessary benefits and stability for Mesa and its codeshare partners, investors, and passengers.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This new agreement represents a step forward for all Mesa pilots," said Capt. Kevin Wilson, chairman of the ALPA unit at Mesa. "No concessions were made for this contract, which is no small feat, given the state of our company and the industry. Thanks to our negotiators and the support of ALPA, we were able to achieve significant quality of life and other improvements at or above industry average."

The Mesa pilots' contract became amendable in September 2007. Facing an industry in crisis due to a slowing economy and skyrocketing fuel prices, the Mesa Master Executive Council (MEC), which is the governing body of the Mesa pilot group, pursued an expedited process for a short-term agreement that would significantly improve the lives of their pilots, attract and retain professional pilots, and place the Mesa pilots at the forefront of the next bargaining cycle. After just 10 months of negotiations, the Negotiating Committee reached a Tentative Agreement (TA) with the company. On October 2, the MEC approved this TA to go to the membership for ratification, and the vote closed today with nearly 77 percent of eligible pilots voting on this agreement. Of the votes cast, 51 percent of pilots voted in favor of the agreement.

"Many pilots voiced their distrust in the company during the road shows and expressed their lack of faith in the company's desire to abide by any agreement," added Capt. Wilson. "Trust is an integral part of any agreement, and we have communicated our pilots' concerns to the company. While changes are taking place, the outcome of this vote is a clear indication that there is still much work to be done."

This new collective bargaining agreement will provide Mesa pilots with immediate scheduling and quality-of-life improvements, including a true definition of scheduled or actual flying time and the implementation of a Preferential Bidding System (PBS) that will allow the pilots to have more control over their schedules. Additionally, the pilots can expect to be back at the bargaining table in 21 months to work toward more improvements with what they hope will be a healthier company in a more stable industry.

ALPA is the bargaining agent for the nearly 1,200 pilots at Mesa Air Group, which includes Mesa and Freedom Airlines. ALPA represents 53,000 pilots at 37 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit ALPA's website at www.alpa.org.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing about our stupid MEC. I don't know what is worse -- if they're complicit in arranging this paycut contract or are they just stupid?

No pay raises for CAs = a concession. Sorry, but agreeing to the same pay rates you already have on an agreement signed years ago in the face of rising inflation is conceding. I could technically say that we didn't concede if we signed a deal that kept FOs here at $21/hr first year. The honest truth is they wouldn't have near the buying power now as they would in 1999. I think the MEC at Mesa was so intent on not giving concessions, they didn't actually think about what they wanted. They opted to go with the first thing that wasn't backwards moving. Was there even a signing bonus involved with this turkey?

Mesa is practically bankrupt and the pilots have zero leverage...what were you all expecting?

Balls. But I'm used to disappointment by now.

Why?

They chose to work at Mesa. What could possibly make you think they'd man up and hold out for something better?

Economy is in the crapper, they chose a crapper of an airline to work for, and well, it's just Mesa.

Hehe. Take it easy on poor mesa kids. SJS wears off with time, especially when there is no upgrade and no future job in sight.

You guys crack me up. ALPA National is about "your" money...nothing more.

ALPA national needs my money to pay for those lawyers on retainer for one. I make so much more at this ALPA carrier rather than my old carrier that I don't mind giving them the 1.95% personally. I'm sure some of the ALPA guys here can chime in but I'd like to comment: even if they are just about getting my money, they've bumped up my pay and quality of life to do it, keep it up boys.

So my question is, why is ALPA national proud of this 'accomplishment' too?

Well, the new FastRead came out today. I gotta say I'm disappointed in the title of the article "Mesa Pilots Ratify New Contract with Significant Gains."

From the ALPA guys at 9E to the 51% ALPA guys at Mesa....thanks for making our job of getting a better contract harder. If they had taken even a SMALL increase in pay on the CA side, it woulda brought the national average up. Instead, the average stays low now, making it harder for us to get better rates.

ALPA national needs my money to pay for those lawyers on retainer for one. I make so much more at this ALPA carrier rather than my old carrier that I don't mind giving them the 1.95% personally. I'm sure some of the ALPA guys here can chime in but I'd like to comment: even if they are just about getting my money, they've bumped up my pay and quality of life to do it, keep it up boys.

I got no problem paying that 1.95% (and deducting it from my taxes). It's piece of mind knowing I'll have lawyers on my side that I don't have to pay for if something ever happens. People bitch and moan about dues at ALPA, but the same people are happy to have car insurance when they need it, too.

You guys crack me up. ALPA National is about "your" money...nothing more.

Don't be ignorant! ALPA does much, much more than take your money. It just so happens I know a couple guys at a certain non-union carrier that would love to have ALPA legal providing advice for them right now. 1.95% is the cheapest career insurance you'll ever get. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either extremely naive or just plain stupid. Just because they might not have helped you directly, they have certainly been there for you in an indirect manner. Legal, aeromedical, insurance, industry improvements over the years........1.95% is a bargin.

I'm not ignorant.

ALPA National's position should be to refuse this concessionary contract. Prater should NOT sign it. MESA's succumbing to fear is going to <edit> us all royal when we enter section 6.

ALPA National has been complicit in the creation of a gigantic C scale. The organization has failed woefully in its fiduciary duty to its members. A DC-9 captain made $180.00 per hour in 1980's dollars.

I have talked to MESA pilots, about this thing. Most are really pissed off.

Others just don't give a crap anymore. It's really sad and I do not blame anyone of them.

:(

Well, I am still learn about union. Here is my question:

Mesa pilots vote in their contract or TA, can ALPA national refuse to sign? If yes, what would happens to TA..etc?

Back