A short story to share

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Something really cool happened on my last trip, and I really didn't even know it happened. I was coming into MDW from MKE, and we were flying a high downwind for a visual approach, and it ended up taking us right over my house/neighborhood where my parents live. I was sitting there saying to myself "too bad I can't call my Dad, he'll get a kick out of watching me fly over." Well it ended up both him and my Mom were hanging out in the pool arguing whether or not it was a Chicago Express Saab that flew over, and how it might have been me. Well, it was! And now my parents are ecstatic knowing they watched me fly over.

Seeing how happy they are really makes the hard work even more worth it than just for my own personal satisfaction. For the parents on the board, you really don't know how much of an effect you can have keeping a keen interest in your son or daughters choice of a career!
grin.gif

Aww, that's so sweet! It's great when parents are supportive isn't it!! I have seen my husband fly over our house, he tipped the wing a little to give me a wave! Can't wait till my son is old enough for me to point out daddy to him!

You have great parents that they were even paying enough attention to see if it was you! Sorry, I used a lot of !!!!'s Lol.

Is that a Saab 340 in that avatar photo? Good looking airplane whatever it is. Almost looks like a turboprop 737.
smirk.gif

Thats really cool, I am training for a student pilot licence and my parents surprised me on my b-day with my introductory flight as a present it was so much fun and they watched me the entire time.

[ QUOTE ]
I was sitting there saying to myself "too bad I can't call my Dad, he'll get a kick out of watching me fly over."

[/ QUOTE ]
That is really great flychicaga. Many times I have flown over and wished I could call my family and tell them to look up. Occasionally, I do listen in on my old local unicoms and sometimes say hi to my old boss or CFIs when I hear them on the freq.

PS...Eavesdropping on the air to air freq is quite entertaining on a cross country flight. I once heard some CFIs following each other up the GA/SC coast. We were at FL430 over Louisiana! I was surprised those transmitters (in a trainer) could even get out that far.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup it's a Saab, and I'm 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
smile.gif

Would you help me in a chorus of "Network, Network, Network"?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yup it's a Saab, and I'm 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
smile.gif

Would you help me in a chorus of "Network, Network, Network"?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

So assuming that you look your age ie young. Do passengers look at you oddly when they see you in the cockpit. And do any of the older pilots have reservations bout flying with you since your so young?

Lastly... how'd you get all your ratings and build all that time so fast to be hired with a regional airline so very young. Please shed some light on that enigma...thx.

[ QUOTE ]

So assuming that you look your age ie young. Do passengers look at you oddly when they see you in the cockpit. And do any of the older pilots have reservations bout flying with you since your so young?

Lastly... how'd you get all your ratings and build all that time so fast to be hired with a regional airline so very young. Please shed some light on that enigma...thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had any passengers question it at all. I guess I look something around 22-25... but the passengers look more to how a pilot carries him/herself, and that's how they determine age. By acting professional, making announcements with confidence and such, they don't worry. It's when you sound like Howdy Doody and act like a 12 year old, then they worry.

Regarding my ratings and such, I went to a four-year university and got my degree while getting all my ratings through MEI. I took a semester off in that time to do an internship (and made up for the lost semester by staying summers), and that opened up a job opportunity at my company since they were hiring. I still had to pass the sim rides and written test, etc., and got the call for class in July. After that it was sipping from the same firehose everyone else was holding on to.
wink.gif

Well I'm 13 right now and when I take lessons the other instructors (who don't know me) think I'm like 16 because I act very professionally during flights etc.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, when I was 22 I was sitting around the quad in front of PFM thinking how cool I was for having four whole hours in a Duchess!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, when I was 22 I was sitting around the quad in front of PFM thinking how cool I was for having four whole hours in a Duchess!

[/ QUOTE ]

PFM rules!

Back