A short documentary on aircraft carrier qualing in the C-2A Greyhound

VRC is the hidden gem of carrier assignments, from what I've heard. Much like HC squadron duty in UH-46s and being based on USNS ships was for helo guys.

Just wait until the Navy shifts the COD role to the Osprey and watch the readiness hit a brick wall.

Happens with every new aircraft. My buddy is the first fleet MV-22B pilot to fly it. He moaned and complainedat first but now realizes the new COD is going to work just fine. He enjoys flying it more as well. Yeah, cant do cyclic ops and you are not a tailhooker anymore but he is finding it to be very capable.

I have seen it all now. The Greyhound is not sexy, nor fun to fly but here is a short video about carrier qualifying. I have 1800 hours, 272 traps left seat (76 night traps) and around 300 in the right seat. Not a bad video. I flew the old 4 blade props. All C2s have the newer 8 blade props.

Here's What it Takes to Become a Certified C2-A Pilot

Might not be sexy or fun to fly, but I bet a lot of here would have love to have done it. Unfortunately the mil path didn't work out for me due to timing and draw downs

So after that how often would a person be in the left seat? Is it a shared situation?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

For the boat? Left seat if a trap is needed to stay current. If the piots are current, just rotate seat depending. As a senior pilot, I let the junior officers always fly left and get the trap, as long I was current. I forget how may carrier traps you needed to stay day current but one needed one night trap every seven days to stay current for night carrier landings.

Cool video. Also, do they qual on the Carrier with the T-45 first or is that just for the jet crews?

All carrier pilots first trap in the T-45. A student needs 10 traps and 2 touch and go’s (hook up) to carrier qual. Once they earn their wings and go off to a Fleet Replacement Squadron to learn to fly their respective platform. To qual in a fleet aircraft, you need 10 day traps, 2 day touch n goes. Also need 6 night traps and 2 touch n go’s.

All carrier pilots first trap in the T-45. A student needs 10 traps and 2 touch and go’s (hook up) to carrier qual. Once they earn their wings and go off to a Fleet Replacement Squadron to learn to fly their respective platform. To qual in a fleet aircraft, you need 10 day traps, 2 day touch n goes. Also need 6 night traps and 2 touch n go’s.

Predating the T-45 did it matter as to platforms between the buckeye and the Skyhawk where and how you did it? Just curious more than anything.

When we had a mixed bag fleet of TH-67 and OH-58 A/C which are the same aircraft guys who flew one received an aircraft qual in type but guys in the other didn’t. Made no damn sense other than Army paperwork.

For the boat? Left seat if a trap is needed to stay current. If the piots are current, just rotate seat depending. As a senior pilot, I let the junior officers always fly left and get the trap, as long I was current. I forget how may carrier traps you needed to stay day current but one needed one night trap every seven days to stay current for night carrier landings.
What happens if you go out of currency?

Predating the T-45 did it matter as to platforms between the buckeye and the Skyhawk where and how you did it? Just curious more than anything.

When we had a mixed bag fleet of TH-67 and OH-58 A/C which are the same aircraft guys who flew one received an aircraft qual in type but guys in the other didn’t. Made no damn sense other than Army paperwork.

I selected E2/C2 out of primary in 1995 and at the time, VT-4 “The Warbucks”, was the advanced training squadron for the carrier prop guys. We fly T-2C Buckeyes, a fun, slow, very forgiving aircraft. E2/C2 pilots do the intermediate jet syllabus and also why we can go back and instruct in jets. As a jet IP, we generally spend a six months teaching intermediate jet then start teaching the advanced jet stuff. Advanced jet is tactical forms, bomb dropping, CQ, low levels, night formation.

Here is a VT-4 bird out of Pensacola. All Pcola birds have an F on thr tail. VT-4 is no longer.

39FF67BC-1C13-4326-87A6-C10B5722F814.jpeg

What happens if you go out of currency?

You have to requal and depending on how far out of night currency you are, it could be from needing 2/2 or the original 6/2. When on deployment, that will take a ton of effort to move planes around the deck, the ahip around, schedules, etc. A big deal and the Captain and CAG (Commander of Air Group) will not be happy.

Day currency is easier as you can remain day current for like 3 months.

You have to requal and depending on how far out of night currency you are, it could be from needing 2/2 or the original 6/2. When on deployment, that will take a ton of effort to move planes around the deck, the ahip around, schedules, etc. A big deal and the Captain and CAG (Commander of Air Group) will not be happy.

Day currency is easier as you can remain day current for like 3 months.

Does Goggle throw a separate wrench into currency like it does for us in Helo land?

Or no trap under goggles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back