A serious question about past POTUS (or is it POTI?) and TFRs

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
The proposed TFR has been posted around 45's residence for after his term ends.

44 lives inside the DC ADIZ, which presumably means no additional need for a TFR since that area is already secure (from an airspace perspective).

43 lives in Texas, and if I recall correctly used to get a 3nm up to 3,000' TFR but now has P-39 over the property.

42 lives in Westchester County, NY but there is not a TFR over that area.

41 is deceased.

40 is deceased.

39 resides in Plains, GA. Even the local airport is named after the guy, KACJ. There is not a TFR over his residence.

Is my assumption about 44 & 43 accurate? So what differentiates 42 & 39 from getting their TFRs? Do they only get them for 5 or 10 years, then lose the TFR? Does anyone have an idea, or reference to the rule/ policy that governs this obscure part of the NAS?

I seem to remember that John Kerry declined to have temporary flight restrictions over his various events when he was running for President, as he saw them as a post-September 11, 2001 National Security Overreaction(tm). So, the candidate (or protectee) can kibosh it, and some do. (The AOPA “caucus” hates the damn things and writes in opposition every time.)

If you are terribly bored, prohibited area notices of proposed rulemaking are published in the Federal Register, as the establishment of a charted prohibited area amends 14 CFR 73. Here, for instance is the one overlying Naval Base Kitsap (P-51); in establishment of each of these areas comments are solicited prior to the establishment of permanent ones. In the case of Naval Base Kitsap (then the Naval Submarine Base, Bangor), a TFR existed for quite some time, and the FAA simply made it permanent.

Actually, now that I went on a little dive, P-49 (Dubya’s Prohibited Area) actually shrank by a 1nm radius after the Secret Service asked for it to shrink semi-recently.

Re: 39, I’m pretty sure that while some people don’t really like Jimmy Carter...nobody really hates the guy nowadays either.

Incidentally, the only TFR I see around Orange Man By the Sea is a short one for VIP movement—unless I’m missing a more permanent one.

I seem to remember that John Kerry declined to have temporary flight restrictions over his various events when he was running for President, as he saw them as a post-September 11, 2001 National Security Overreaction(tm). So, the candidate (or protectee) can kibosh it, and some do. (The AOPA “caucus” hates the damn things and writes in opposition every time.)

If you are terribly bored, prohibited area notices of proposed rulemaking are published in the Federal Register, as the establishment of a charted prohibited area amends 14 CFR 73. Here, for instance is the one overlying Naval Base Kitsap (P-51); in establishment of each of these areas comments are solicited prior to the establishment of permanent ones. In the case of Naval Base Kitsap (then the Naval Submarine Base, Bangor), a TFR existed for quite some time, and the FAA simply made it permanent.

Actually, now that I went on a little dive, P-49 (Dubya’s Prohibited Area) actually shrank by a 1nm radius after the Secret Service asked for it to shrink semi-recently.

Re: 39, I’m pretty sure that while some people don’t really like Jimmy Carter...nobody really hates the guy nowadays either.

They used to de-commission nuclear reactors at Sub Base Bangor when I lived up there in the late 90s. Don’t know if they still do but a TFR seems like a good idea if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They used to de-commission nuclear reactors at Sub Base Bangor when I lived up there in the late 90s. Don’t know if they still do but a TFR seems like a good idea if so.

Even better, it’s covered by P-51. And yeah, agreed.

Incidentally, the only TFR I see around Orange Man By the Sea is a short one for VIP movement—unless I’m missing a more permanent one.

Then you have Individual 1 Tower in NYC that has an indefinite 1nm up to 2,999ft TFR over it, yet the Palm Beach residence has a 3nm up to 2,999ft TFR that only lasts 24 hours.

The inconsistency is the interesting part. Maybe each individual does have influence on their own TFR after office. 45 has been involved in litigation with Palm Beach department of airports for 30 years, because he’s a NIMBY type. It wouldn’t be surprising if he tries to get a permanent TFR over the residence to mitigate the noise.

Yet, Indian Island just to the north is only a National Security area.

The inconsistency is the interesting part. Maybe each individual does have influence on their own TFR after office. 45 has been involved in litigation with Palm Beach department of airports for 30 years, because he’s a NIMBY type. It wouldn’t be surprising if he tries to get a permanent TFR over the residence to mitigate the noise.
I mean, if the States of either Georgia or New York get off their duffs, he won’t really be in a position to complain about noise, if you know what I mean. At least, not about the airplane kind.

Yet, Indian Island just to the north is only a National Security area.
The common theme about prohibited areas is absent the obvious ones where aircraft operations really ought to be prohibited outright (Capitol, WH, Naval Observatory, Camp David, Naval Base Kitsap, Kings Bay, etc.) they don’t seem to make much sense. I’m all for banning aircraft operations over the Boundary Waters, for instance, but it seems like an odd thing to include alongside the above obvious national security-related prohibited areas.

If during the summer any of y’all wonder why you’re being descended to 3000’ and vectored by the SBJ VOR, it’s for operational purposes only. I promise.

FWIW, Trmep is prohibited from making Mar-a-Lago his residence per an agreement he made in the early 90s with Palm Beach when it was turned into a private club. Plus his would-be neighbors are other rich • who don't want to deal with him living there.

That, plus the nearby airport, should make a Donny-by-the-Sea TFR unlikely.

I remember being asked right along with the takeoff clearance to make an immediate left turn after takeoff before the DER in order to not overfly Mar A Lago and my captain stating firmly "code it into a departure procedure, or else we are unable" :) Loved spewing 88 coal over that resort!

I remember being asked right along with the takeoff clearance to make an immediate left turn after takeoff before the DER in order to not overfly Mar A Lago and my captain stating firmly "code it into a departure procedure, or else we are unable" :) Loved spewing 88 coal over that resort!
I've flown into the Disneyland TFR on an ATC clearance numerous times in my career. I think it's more to simply keep lookie-lous away than really about prohibiting the flight of airplanes through there.

I've flown into the Disneyland TFR on an ATC clearance numerous times in my career. I think it's more to simply keep lookie-lous away than really about prohibiting the flight of airplanes through there.

But it's red on the map!

"THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES"

Oh... Operational purpose? I would like to fly in this area.

Word on the street around Orlando is that the TFR helps keep banner towing aircraft that are advertising for non-Disney businesses away from the park.

Back