A REG's question I should be able to answer (ARROW & 61.203)

Acadia

A REG\'s question I should be able to answer (ARROW & 61.203)

So I’m getting ready to sign up my first student for his private check ride (part 61). I’m going through all of my materials making sure I have everything covered for the oral and I am unable find one thing. In regards to required certificates etc that must be on board – ARROW. 61.203 lists the requirements for an Air Worthiness Certificate & Registration Certificate, but can anyone tell me which FAR’s defines the need for weight & balance data and Operations Manual?

I swear I have looked at it before but now I cant find it! I started digging around because I could not recall the year when aircraft built from that point on are required to have the operation manual/handbook onboard (1978 or 1979 comes to mind).

Re: A REG\'s question I should be able to answer (ARROW & 61.203)

91.9 covers the flight manual, not sure about W & B...

Ok ,i'll take a shot at this. On my Comm/se check ride I was asked about the required documents. So I gave the standard arrow deal. Then he asked if I really needed the weight and balance, and I replied yes. Well the answer is actually no. Unless your plane was built before sometime in 1978, your weight and balance is already a part of your AFM.

So according to 91.9-no person may operate a civil aircraft without complying with the operating limitations specified in the approved airplane or rotorcraft flight manual, etc....

So really, if you fly an airplane newer than 24 years old the new acronym would be A R O

Im sure you knew this, but radio registration is only needed for operations out of the us...

Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the help. Yeah I thought 1978 was the cut off, but I just could not put my finger on the exact reg.

Thanks

yeah, i looked on faa.gov for the exact addendum, but got tired of searching through the thousands of them. I know its in there somewhere though.

Just a little update on Airworthiness. The Orlando FSDO gave us a presentation on what they now want to see to render a plane airworthy. The following is straight from their CFI Special Emphasis Program Airworthiness Checklist:

<font color="blue"> "No secrets, No surprises: In addition to items required by FAR 91 for general Operating and Flight Rules, the following items must be present in order to render a Standard Airworthiness determination on an aircraft:

-Airworthiness Cert.(original)-ref. FAR 91.203

-Registration Cert. (original)- ref. FAR 91.203

-Aircraft Flight Manual or POH (current revision) including
current weight and balance data- ref. FAR 91.9

-Annual and/or 100 hour Inspection due date- ref. FAR 91.409/417

-Current Status of Life-limited parts per T.C.D.S.- ref. FAR 91.417

-VOR Equipment Check for IFR operation- ref. FAR 91.171

-ELT- battery due date- ref. FAR 91-207(c)

-ELT- within last 12 months ops. inspection- ref.FAR 91.207(d)

-Static System Inspection Certification- ref. FAR 91.411

-Altimeter Inspection Certification- ref. FAR 91.411

-Transponder Inspection Certification- ref. FAR 91.413

-Current status listing of all applicable A.D.'s including time or date of recurring action- ref. FAR 91.417

-FAA form 337's for alterations or repairs- ref. FAR 91.417

-Inoperative Equipment Certifications - ref. FAR 91.405

-External Data Plate/ Serial Number - ref. 45.11

"Airworthy" means an aircraft or one of its component parts meets its type design (or is properly altered) and is in a condition for safe operation. (FAR 21.31)</font>

Come up with your own acronym. Also, if you read the Standard Airworthiness Certficate (box 5) it mentions that the AC has "been inspected and found to conform to the type certificate therefor". If you look up FAR 21.41 it talks about Type certificate which then mentions type design. Now look up FAR 21.31 which talks about type design. If your plane meets all these requirements, it is airworthy! Good luck, and why does it seem like the skies just got quieter.
grin.gif

Back