A question for you line pilots

Tommay85

What happens when your late. Especially if your the only crew in the area. Or are you the only crew in the area.

There is so much that can happen on your way to work the only way I can see getting on time 100% of the time in a big city is to be 2 hours early.

But I dont know.

Thanks for your answers

Tom

You said it!

If you've got to be two hours early to avoid potential problems with traffic, you've got to be two hours early.

But if you're late for an extenuating circumstance, call up crew scheduling in the speed dial and communicate your situation.

We are home based. Next month I'll fly out of El Paso, Tx. so they fly me out on, next month is Delta!, and I go the hotel at least 8 hours(by contract) before showtime. If I missed my flight, I'd call Crew Shedualing ASAP, they would extend the guy I'm relieving, and I might or might not have Hell to pay. If we took a delay because I missed my flight, I think I'd be working fries at Wendeys.

for my copmany it works like this. If you are late less than 1 hour to show your screwed. CP will know you will ge the what is your problem speech. don;t you kjnow we throw away one hundred resumes a month, you shoule be glad blah blah... or so I am told I am habitually early.

If you delay the departure because you are late, pretty much your fired.

if you don;t show, don't bother calling in ever.

One time I really screwed up. We get our bids and our bid awards a month in advance, which is pretty much our schedule. The sched. had a mistake on this day, it called for it to be a reserve day, but the Captain told me days before that we were going to Panama on that day. I called Crew Sched. and got the details for the trip, only problem was they said 0050 Z and I said 0500Z........Same numbers, but in different order, and that can make a difference.

So, I'm laying in bed watching JAG and the phone rings.

"Did you know that we are flying tonight?"

"Yeah, in about 4 hours"

"No, about 20 minutes!"

"Oh Rats!"(I think Rats is spelled with an "F"

We didn't take a delay, but that was to darn close.

Thanks for the replies. I gues they have to be strict as thousands of dollars are on the line.

Tom

True Story-

Last September I went to the Reno Air Races, I came home a day early to have a day to relax before I went back on reserve in NY. I had to ride the jumpseat back to ORD from RNO (gee, full flights after the races, imagine that!). Anyway, I'm eating dinner (it's 7 in the evening) and all of a sudden I thought "Hey, my days off just don't seem to line up properly here, when am I back on reserve?" A half second later I was running up the stairs to the computer because I was supposed to be on reserve in NY TOMORROW not the day after like I'd thought.

So I'm at the computer thinking "okay, maybe I didn't get a trip and I can just take the first flight to LGA in the morning, it gets in at 0830." Oh no, scheduling had given me a trip with a 0715 show time. There was no way I could make it, the last flight of the day leaves ORD at 8 pm, and I couldn't get from my house to the gate in one hour.

Basically I'm screwed at this point, so I call scheduling and confess, I'm given a 'missed trip' and told to report to LGA as early tomorrow as possible.

I go to bed, and at 3 am the phone rings, it's my in-laws, my husband's grandfather passed away during the night. I get up, make the in-laws travel arraingments for them to go to RSW where the grandparents live. I wake my husband, give him the news, and then get ready to head to ORD to commute. I figure I'll go to LGA, get my spanking for my missed trip, and go to RSW via MIA from LGA.

I get suited up, go to throw my bags in the back of my station wagon, and as soon as I open the back hatch I smell something funny. Like burning plastic. I put the key in the ignition, and it feels like the switch is full of silly putty. At some time in the night my ignition switch had lit on fire and burned itself up.

At this point I basically give up on the entire day.

I go in the house, call my supervisor, and tell him I won't be able to make it to LGA today. I got personal emergency days to attend the funeral, but the missed trip stood. It was my own fault I wasn't in NY when I was supposed to be.

Morale of the story - Know when you're supposed to commute in for work!

We have to show at our crew lounge and check in via computer (or phone) 45 minutes prior to departure. That means being at the terminal at least an hour before departure to catch the crew van to our ramp (a 5 minute drive). I live fairly close to the airport, so I usually leave about 1:15 before my show time to be safe all around... traffic, long security lines (even though we have "badged only"), etc. can mean being late. If we are late, it's bad news, but they can often find someone fairly soon to replace you (if needed). If it's an outstation and you are late, it's worse, because they would need to deadhead a crewmember to replace you which means delaying the flight until the next one comes in. NOT good.

[ QUOTE ]
. Next month I'll fly out of El Paso, Tx.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a fool if you don't try out the Cattle Baron restaraunt next to ELP. If you like beef, that's the place to go. Last time I was there, I ordered prime rib cooked medium. I was advised that "good beef is served rare...bad beef...isn't served"
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was advised that "good beef is served rare...bad beef...isn't served

[/ QUOTE ]

I flew with a Capt a long time ago who told me he liked his beef so rare that a good veterinarian could get it back on it's feet.
grin.gif

Thanks Mike,
During the week we don't have time to eat very well, but on the weekend, I like to live it up a little. Prime Rib sounds pretty good, with a good helping of mashed potatos, and some veggies...........and maybe something cold to drink.........yeah.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a fool if you don't try out the Cattle Baron restaraunt next to ELP. If you like beef, that's the place to go. Last time I was there, I ordered prime rib cooked medium. I was advised that "good beef is served rare...bad beef...isn't served"
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate at a restraunt in ELP by the name of Cattleman's but it was out in the desert, about a 25 min. drive. Absoulutely the best steak I have ever had.

There's some mexican restaraunt behind the bus station downtown that had phenomenal food and a wide variety of south-of-the-border cervezas if you're into that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate at a restraunt in ELP by the name of Cattleman's but it was out in the desert, about a 25 min. drive. Absoulutely the best steak I have ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cattleman's is just as good, and is located east of the city on I-10, they have their own "ranch" right there and make some damn good beef too. Highly reccommend. 650, consider yourself lucky to have eaten there, it's an experience all beef lovers should have.

Back