A question about flying

Grumpy01

I wondered if any one knew, how many and which countrys require you to be a "citizen" if that is the correct word to use, in order to fly that countrys regestered airplanes.

[all that in one sentence, damn I'm good]

I ask because I've seen a couple where you must be a native to work.

I'm not a U.S citizen, but I can "LEGALLY" work here. When I'm ready to fly for an airline I won't have any problems....

I think Australia is about the same as the U.S where you can work if u have a work permitting visa which allows you to do so...

I think he is asking that with an FAA license what other countries could he use it in with their registered aircraft. I know when I was living in England I would fly on my FAA license, however there were restrictions. I could only go DAY VFR, if I wanted to do more I would have to convert, taking courses, etc. I believe you will find this in most JAA countries - but be aware at some small local fields they do speak native tongue, and not English.
In Australia I believe you will need to do some sort of convertion. I am not sure if it is just a case of taking your FAA license to the CASA office, and they hand a temp over to you - or if some training is required, or what restrictions your license is given.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if it is just a case of taking your FAA license to the CASA office, and they hand a temp over to you - or if some training is required, or what restrictions your license is given.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct! A few weeks ago I called a flight school up in Australia and enquired about converting U.S ratings to Australian... I was told all you need to do is take the U.S ratings to the CASA office which they then validate for 3 months, cost about $300 AUD not sure if that is per rating or just PPL, however.. After that you then go to a flight school and need to go up with an instuctor a few times. So a little bit of additional training is required..

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a U.S citizen, but I can "LEGALLY" work here. When I'm ready to fly for an airline I won't have any problems....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to fly in the US I would become a US citizen. The background checks that were put in place after 9/11 are a huge pain. Employers can't legally discriminate but they still will so they don't have to deal with the DOT and TSA.

Yup, my parents are working on turning us from foreign aliens into resdient aliens at the moment. This will take many years, 3 years sooo far. After we get our greencard (if we get ever get it) then we can apply for U.S citizenship which takes 5 - 10 years or something... Bare in mind the entire time you have lawyers to pay and other expenses which make it very EXPENSIVE.

Some people spend over $100k+ trying to settle here in the U.S only to be told to get the heck out of the country, their time is up...thankyou for supporting our economy..

For some people it's a quick process, or it's very very long and slow, while for others it can be both and they never get anything.

I have some friends in the bay area who I know quite well. Both of their families are from Australia also.

One of them uses the same lawyers and everything as us, and decided to move here in September, 2001...by December they had their visa's and they moved here in Jan, 2002. 8 months later they got their greencards!!!!!

The other friends family have been in the U.S for 6 years and are still without a greencard, and I think they have renewed their visas the maximum amount of time they could, so I think they plan on leaving the country soon....

Us - took 1 and a half years to get our visa's. Still waiting to get our greencards...

A lot of my pals here in PHX are Canadian and still aren't citizens after years of trying.

We have some of the wackiest immigration laws on earth -- extremely politically motivated.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I agree...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemme put it this way, from what I've seen both on the political front and on the 'real world' front, if you guys formed a large, powerful voting demographic, the two parties would be falling over themselves to get you guys citizenship.

That's probably true...

I just wish it was as simple as what it supposedly use to be back in the 80's when my parents had a chance to move us here then...

Now it seems like it's only getting more and more complicated each day and year....

Back