A & P/dispatch

Do hiring manager give preference to people who hold airframe & powerplant licenses?

Personally I think it would be a plus to work dispatch and also be an A@P but just having an A@P just by itself would not be a benefit. If you worked for years with aircraft and knew systems really well and MEL's it could be. I can't tell you how many times dispatchers call me to explain MEL's to them and explain systems. But to answer your question I don't think it would get you any preference in a dispatch job but hopefully maybe some of our active working dispatchers can answer that question. Now being a pilot? That might get you preference.

I agree with FXMXC. Having an A&P can be a plus since you'll understand systems and MEL's better than most. How much preference you'll be given, I can't say.

Though a pilot's cert can be a double edged sword. A private with or without instrument rating can be good, a commercial or ATP with multi and instrument and they begin to question your motives and wonder if you're there just to get in as a pilot.

I would say it just depends on the interviewer - some might see it as a plus, others might be neutral on it. Of course, for your first job, it does help to have things to put in your resume since you don't have dispatch experience yet.

I never got my A&P but I did have some avionics experience from the military - and I would say in general it didn't seem to help much with getting my initial job. I had one interviewer ask my why I hadn't gotten my A&P. As I've been in the industry a while now, my current resume only lists jobs I've held working in dispatch.

Now what about ATC experience? Does that look good to employers and tip the scales a little?

I would think that ATC experience would probably be a bit more valuable than maintenance experience, even though (from what I have heard from ex controllers) the jobs are quite different. I suppose that, aside from actual dispatch experience, working in a place like airport operations would be considered pretty good. In general, on your resume you want to present a well-rounded profile that includes some indication of strong desire to work in aviation. To that end - pilot licenses, A&P licenses, and ATC experience all would help. Just my opinion.

Different jobs definitely, but the things i learned in the school house for ATC are very similar to what i've seen in what i have to study for dispatch

Do hiring manager give preference to people who hold airframe & powerplant licenses?

Not by default. All other things being equal, having an A&P license might boost the strength of your resume and get it pulled from the pile for further review, but that's about it. If you don't have the basic qualifications for the job, your resume won't get any consideration.

Back