JoelT

At least the passengers can't complain.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009/03/26/pet-centric-airways-to-take-flight/

wsj_print.gif

• <small>March 26, 2009, 3:33 PM ET</small>
Pet-Centric Airline to Take Flight?

Dog_E_20090326151141.jpg
AP Photo/El Paso Times, Victor Calzada

A new airline just for pets is set to start flying next month according to the technology blog TechCrunch:
Enter Pet Airways, a new startup launching next month that flies pets and only pets: “With Pet Airways your pet will be safe and comfortable, flying in the main cabin, not in cargo. From check-in at our Pet Lounge, and throughout the flight, our Pet Attendants will be caring and catering to all your pet’s needs. You can even monitor how your pet is doing.” Fees start at $150. Sadly, only your pet can fly, not you (they won’t even put you in the cargo area of the plane).
Flights will be limited to start, basically from Los Angeles to the East coast with stops in Denver and Chicago.
The company says they’re funded but aren’t giving details yet. Each flight has a pet attendant on board at all times, and the airline will start with a fleet of twenty planes, ranging from twin props to 727s.
I have no idea if this airline is going to be a commercial success, but I’m hopeful. If they start flying from San Francisco to Seattle, Laguna will be a regular customer. And I’d pay a lot more than $150.
The higher carriers ratchet up fees for flying pets, the more compelling a proposition an airline like this seems. In the fee-frenzied environment, the cost of flying with your pet has become rather steep — for example, Delta now charges $275 to check your pet and $150 to bring it with you in the cabin on a one-way flight. (See other pet fees in this handy fee chart from Kayak.)
One other note: As we’ve reported before, be especially careful about bringing bulldogs, pugs, Boston terriers or other other short-nosed, or brachycephalic, breeds on flights. They are especially susceptible to problems in the air.

I can see this working even when I really didn't read the article. People are nuts about their pets, seriously. Kill a pet and it's sometimes more serious than killing a person.

=Jason-

...doomed. However, it proves that the dogs are probably smarter than the guys who thought up this idea. And waaaaay smarter than anyone pumping money into it. :laff::laff::laff::laff::laff::laff:

I can see this working even when I really didn't read the article. People are nuts about their pets, seriously. Kill a pet and it's sometimes more serious than killing a person.

=Jason-

That's because many of us consider our pets as family members. Plus animals are completely innocent - they're incapable of evil, backstabbing, etc. etc., unlike many people I've encountered in my life.

727's? HA! I could see maybe Cirrus or something of that nature, but that big? Let's waste money!!!

On a serious note, there is a elderly lady who pays to charter a Sovereign to fly her two dogs from Boston to Tampa four or five times a year...

People are crazy about their pets, I do agree to that.

Looks like something that would be in "The Onion".

I have gotten more than a few inquires from my work with "Pilots N' Paws" if I could fly people's pets here and there for hire. So, may not be a "far fetched" (HA!!!) idea...

What a stupid idea that will never ever take off (no pun intended).

Someone needs to learn how to use Photoshop a bit better... the logos aren't even set right on the airplanes:
our%20planes.jpg

I've heard of airlines going to the dogs before...but this takes the cake!

::rimshot::

On this airline, the flight attendants are real bow-wows!

::rimshot::

Now that the stupid jokes are out of the way, I don't think these people will be operating any aircraft themselves. The impression I get is that they just put the pets on existing cargo flights operated by others.

I'm going to throw this out there and then duck ...

They could charge the FOs for flight time

.... and gone!

That's because many of us consider our pets as family members. Plus animals are completely innocent - they're incapable of evil, backstabbing, etc. etc., unlike many people I've encountered in my life.
You haven't met my sister's cat. That thing is pure concentrated evil. Actually looks a lot like the one in your avatar.

Back