A Message from the family of Ben Hill

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Kristie (and all those at Jetcareers),

I didn't know how else to send you guys a message so I joined Jetcareers--I hope that is okay.

I'm Ben Hill's sister and I have read all the posts, already knowing what you guys at Jetcareers have done for my brother's family. It's no secret that we are going through a terrible time, and the tragic loss of our Benny is still very painful and real. But I also just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart. That was a tremendous amount of money you guys raised. I was in tears when I found out a few months back. I won't ever be able to express what that means to all of us, but you have lifted burdens and stresses we had no solution to--an answer to prayers. All the people on here are so amazing, and the messages they left were, and still are, a real comfort to all of us -- that is, to know that when your world has completely stopped, that others have paused, and taken notice. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your phenomenal compassion.

I'm sorry it has taken so long to thank you, all of you, I guess I had to work up the courage. You all are such wonderful people and may God bless you and keep you safe.

~Sincerely~

Tina Hill Sitton

Ben was so clearly a Gentleman that, from my perspective at least, it was quite literally the least the we could do. We grieve with you. Thanks for taking the time out to talk to us.

Simply put, WoW. We may not have all met at some point, and there may be bickering at times, but JC is a family of people regardless of what people say. It was the least we could do to help a family member out. I am sure it doesn't get any easier, but I truly hope it does get better over time.

Ben Hill will always be a part of us. I and every one else miss him deeply. We'd each give you a big hug if we could.

I really didn't know Ben at all.
I think I've mentioned that before.
I knew Ben as a presence on the site. We were never particularly close.
All the same, I've felt the loss, and have had a little trouble facing it.

Ben's passing is a reminded that in Aviation, but especially on JetCareers, there's a camaraderie that transcends that of mere colleagues or friendship.

This world, this community, is a family in a way.

The daily grind and occasional bickering we share can obscure the deeper issues at hand, but in the end I don't think anybody here would turn their back on somebody in need, especially when one of our own is felled.

I must admit in times like this I am reminded that humanity was never intended to fly. To make huge pieces of aluminum leave the surface of the Earth, to defy gravity and spite the howling wind is simply not the natural way of things. We balance precariously aloft in places where the mere height could do us in, let alone the icy temperatures or the air too thin to breathe. In reality, we take to the wing into a place where the Reaper's cold, stony grip is just every so slightly too far away to grasp us.

... and still, we persist.

We persist because while horrible things lay just behind us, the joy of an endless horizon in front of us continually beckons. As Da Vinci once said, "....there you have been, and there you will long to return." It is simply as we are.

It is simply as Ben was, and as he is in whatever great beyond where he now resides.

I think it is noteworthy that while Ben is no longer here, his final lessons linger. A reminder of the community and family we're all a part of.. of how much we must cherish this life and the experiences that we all seek as aviators and simply as people.

So here's to Ben. I hardly knew you, brother, but I guarantee you I won't ever forget you.

Tailwinds and blue skies, man.

I'm not surprised Ben's sister wrote such a classy and heart-felt note to JC'ers. I, too, never met Ben and probably didn't have much interaction with him here--but his posts were ALWAYS classy and respectful. I'm glad Tina wrote us. It's weird, but Ben's been on my mind a bit lately. I wondered how his wife and little girls were doing. I hope Tina or other family members can give us updates every so often to keep us posted.

Ben really loved teaching. It was quite obvious in his posts, and he was most strident on JC when he was working with another member who was just learning and that he was trying to help. That was the primary characteristic of Ben in my mind, and like all great teachers, it came from a generous and giving heart.

In his passing he also taught us - we learned a lot about our fellow members and it allowed us to build an even stronger community. I believe this to be a fitting legacy for Ben.

Thank you for posting.

I am sure Ben would have done whatever he could have if it was another one of us who had his misfortune. It was the least we could do within our community here.

I chatted with Ben enough to know I really wanted to have a beer with him.

To Ben's sister:
Thank you for sharing your brother with us.

Simply put, WoW. We may not have all met at some point, and there may be bickering at times, but JC is a family of people regardless of what people. It was the least we could do to help a family member out. I am sure it doesn't get any easier, but I truly hope it does get better over time.

Yes sir! :) Completely agree!

I think about Ben often, and miss him dearly. Before I moved out of Utah, we'd make plans to do this or that, and it never really materialized. Even with living 30 miles away (in Park City), schedules never really worked.

I always wish I had gotten that opportunity to fly with Ben, go fishing with Ben, or whatever it was that we were planning.

I too still think often of Ben. His number is still in my phone. I just can't delete it for whatever reason. I find myself seeing something or having a question that I would normally call Ben for, to find myself going "oh right."

We hope the best for his family.

I always wish I had gotten that opportunity to fly with Ben, go fishing with Ben, or whatever it was that we were planning.

Life is fragile and each day a gift. Ben left a legacy here at JC and taught us many things with his words and wit; but his life told us to not take a day for granted and stop putting things off until tomorrow.

He is missed in many ways but will be remembered in many more.

I too still think often of Ben. His number is still in my phone. I just can't delete it for whatever reason.
You too, huh?

I flew into KPVU last week and departing off of 13 couldn't help but think of Ben as I gazed down at the the spot on the levy where he lost his life.

Now that I think about it, maybe that explains the crazy climb rate I had. Thanks for the lift, Ben!

I really didn't know Ben at all.
I think I've mentioned that before.
I knew Ben as a presence on the site. We were never particularly close.
All the same, I've felt the loss, and have had a little trouble facing it.

Ben's passing is a reminded that in Aviation, but especially on JetCareers, there's a camaraderie that transcends that of mere colleagues or friendship.

This world, this community, is a family in a way.

The daily grind and occasional bickering we share can obscure the deeper issues at hand, but in the end I don't think anybody here would turn their back on somebody in need, especially when one of our own is felled.

I must admit in times like this I am reminded that humanity was never intended to fly. To make huge pieces of aluminum leave the surface of the Earth, to defy gravity and spite the howling wind is simply not the natural way of things. We balance precariously aloft in places where the mere height could do us in, let alone the icy temperatures or the air too thin to breathe. In reality, we take to the wing into a place where the Reaper's cold, stony grip is just every so slightly too far away to grasp us.

... and still, we persist.

We persist because while horrible things lay just behind us, the joy of an endless horizon in front of us continually beckons. As Da Vinci once said, "....there you have been, and there you will long to return." It is simply as we are.

It is simply as Ben was, and as he is in whatever great beyond where he now resides.

I think it is noteworthy that while Ben is no longer here, his final lessons linger. A reminder of the community and family we're all a part of.. of how much we must cherish this life and the experiences that we all seek as aviators and simply as people.

So here's to Ben. I hardly knew you, brother, but I guarantee you I won't ever forget you.

Tailwinds and blue skies, man.

Well said. :clap:

The notes his family leaves on his Facebook turn my stomach. To see a family struggle with such an unexpected loss is something I would not wish on my worst enemy, nevermind such a nice group of people.

I'm glad we could all be of a some assistance to them as they try and navigate their way to brighter days.

Thought this was as good of a place as any.

Happy B day to Ben Hill today.

I miss the fishing trips and cheap chinese buffet after a quick burns down to Vegas and back.

Back