A Message From Safetyengineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafetyEngineer

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I wanted to take this opportunity to make a statement (kind of a personal message or blog) and to express my thanks and appreciation to everyone.:eek:

First, about me. I know that my avatar is the NTSB symbol, but it is important to know that I am not an NTSB investigator. I was a former firefighter-paramedic and I am a private aviation accident/incident investigator as well as an occupation health and safety engineer. I wanted to become an NTSB investigator, but I haven’t reached that goal just yet. I use the NTSB insignia to immediately show that I am not a pilot or cabin crew, but an investigator and safety engineer instead. I hope this hasn’t angered anyone and if it has, I apologize.

<O:p</O:p
I have studied every major aircraft accident since 1968 and I have investigated several general aviation accidents privately. My goal is not to be ghoulish, but to understand what happened and to help educate everyone so corrective measures can be taken to keep it from happing again. I believe that the more we know about an accident or incident the more prepared we can be to mitigate any incident in the future.

And… even though the investigations call to identify the human factors at play, I am one to try and give the flight crew the benefit of the doubt until all the evidence is in. I will side with pilots and cabin crew until there is a clear human error on their part. When that happens I choose to be constructive and not mean spirited about reporting and finding the solution to the problem. This is just my way, it is not an industry standard and I don’t ignore evidence to protect the crews, I just don’t believe in flock shooting them. Mistakes will be made, but there is a better way to correct them than be mean and disrespecting in my analysis. I hope that made sense.

If there is any accident or incident you would like to talk about, for whatever reason, please e-mail me here or at erich@safeworkinc.com and I would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
Second, I want to take this time to express my respect and best wishes to all who are involved in the safe operations of aircraft. From the skilled flight crew, to the professional cabin crews, to ground crews and maintenance, ramp agents, air traffic controllers who keep the TCA and other areas safe, and even to customer service reps who have to do damage control when things don’t go as planned in the airport. I hope this new year finds all of you and your families in good health and good spirits. May the new year bring you joy and prosperity, and may all of your future flights be safe.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, allowing me to be a part of a great community, and for all you do.

Respectfully,

Eric
Safety Engineer
Fly fast, stay safe! :rawk:

Mesage From Safetyengineer. (Repost from General Tpoics)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I wanted to take this opportunity to make a statement (kind of a personal message or blog) and to express my thanks and appreciation to everyone.

First, about me. I know that my avatar is the NTSB symbol, but it is important to know that I am not an NTSB investigator. I was a former firefighter-paramedic and I am a private aviation accident/incident investigator as well as an occupation health and safety engineer. I wanted to become an NTSB investigator, but I haven’t reached that goal just yet. I use the NTSB insignia to immediately show that I am not a pilot or cabin crew, but an investigator and safety engineer instead. I hope this hasn’t angered anyone and if it has, I apologize.

I have studied every major aircraft accident since 1968 and I have investigated several general aviation accidents privately. My goal is not to be ghoulish, but to understand what happened and to help educate everyone so corrective measures can be taken to keep it from happing again. I believe that the more we know about an accident or incident the more prepared we can be to mitigate any incident in the future.

And… even though the investigations call to identify the human factors at play, I am one to try and give the flight crew the benefit of the doubt until all the evidence is in. I will side with pilots and cabin crew until there is a clear human error on their part. When that happens I choose to be constructive and not mean spirited about reporting and finding the solution to the problem. This is just my way, it is not an industry standard and I don’t ignore evidence to protect the crews, I just don’t believe in flock shooting them. Mistakes will be made, but there is a better way to correct them than be mean and disrespecting in my analysis. I hope that made sense.

If there is any accident or incident you would like to talk about, for whatever reason, please e-mail me here or at erich@safeworkinc.com and I would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Second, I want to take this time to express my respect and best wishes to all who are involved in the safe operations of aircraft. From the skilled flight crew, to the professional cabin crews, to ground crews and maintenance, ramp agents, air traffic controllers who keep the TCA and other areas safe, and even to customer service reps who have to do damage control when things don’t go as planned in the airport. I hope this new year finds all of you and your families in good health and good spirits. May the new year bring you joy and prosperity, and may all of your future flights be safe.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, allowing me to be a part of a great community, and for all you do.
Fly fast, stay safe!

Re: Mesage From Safetyengineer. (Repost from General Tpoics)

Please do not repost the same thread in different forums.

Re: Mesage From Safetyengineer. (Repost from General Tpoics)

...First, about me. I know that my avatar is the NTSB symbol, but it is important to know that I am not an NTSB investigator. I was a former firefighter-paramedic and I am a private aviation accident/incident investigator as well as an occupation health and safety engineer. I wanted to become an NTSB investigator, but I haven’t reached that goal just yet. I use the NTSB insignia to immediately show that I am not a pilot or cabin crew, but an investigator and safety engineer instead. I hope this hasn’t angered anyone and if it has, I apologize.

I have studied every major aircraft accident since 1968 and I have investigated several general aviation accidents privately. My goal is not to be ghoulish, but to understand what happened and to help educate everyone so corrective measures can be taken to keep it from happing again. I believe that the more we know about an accident or incident the more prepared we can be to mitigate any incident in the future....

Just trying to get a better understanding of your background. You mention that you do not work for the NTSB and then make the statements above. In what aspect are you performing these 'investigations' and what if any 'formal' qualifications do you hold in this arena?

I began my interest in crash investigations during my service as a damage controllman in the US Navy and continued it while in the fire department. I have taken several classes on aviation investigation and I was involved with my department’s accident investigation team. Since then, I have been a consultant on general aviation crashes for small private air companies, law firms, and a couple of small investigations for local agencies working with the NTSB on general aviation crashes. I wanted to take an internship and eventually a position with the NTSB, but my wife of 17 years is disabled and my son just recently had major surgery on his legs. Being my only source of income the internship has been put on hold.

Sorry if I confused you. I can be confusing from time to time. Sorry again.

Also, I want to apologize for the double post. I just re-read the terms and it won’t happen again. My bad. Sorry.

But, again, I want to thank all of you for allowing me to be a part of this community. My goal is to help educate and inform anyone who is interested. This forum is a great place to interact with great people directly involved with the safe operation of aircraft.

Thank all of you again.

Respectfully,

Safetyengineer

Fly higher, fly safer! :rawk:

Pardon me for continuing the line of questioning, but it helps us to know your background when talking about things like accidents. Who gave these accident investigation classes that you took? Do you have an engineering degree? What exactly was your role as a consultant on those investigations?

Sorry for the twenty questions, but it really is important (at least for me personally) to be able to establish your credentials if you are going to post here purporting to be an expert in the field. I hope you understand that context and content are both important on a semi-anonymous site such as this. Thank you for your understanding.

Eric:

Arriving at the truth concerning aviation incidents and accidents is a noble but challenging goal. I have seen situations in the past where the cause seemed cut and dry. I was later very surprised when at some point later in the investigation a small fact emerges that literally changes the entire investigation. Due to the complexity of the equipment and the dynamics of our work environment, I have learned to jump to NO conclusions in these type situations until I know all the facts. That philosophy would probably serve us all well. Good luck with your journey to the NTSB and hopefully the health and strength of your family will improve to allow you to pursue your goals more aggressively.

I welcome and appreciate your opinions and judgment here.

JEP & Steve C

To keep the spirit of this post (Thanking everyone for allowing me to be a part of the community and to wish everyone a happy new year) and to not clutter the thread with back and forth posts on questions and answers, I will be happy to answer any other questions you have if you e-mail me. My e-mail is erich@safeworkinc.com or you can just message me here. Whatever I can do to put your concerns to bed.

However, I will try to answer some of the questions you asked.

Course *********************************Given By
_________________________*********** _________________________
Accident Investigations, Analyses **********Weber State University
And Applications

Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting************ Utah State Fire Academy

Aviation Crash & Rescue******************* United States Navy

Crime Scene Processing And ***************Weber State University
Evaluation

Paramedic****************************** Weber State University

Firefighter 1,2, ADO, Ladder************* Utah State Fire Academy

Introduction To Flight And ***************Salt Lake City Flight Academy
Aviation Principles

Hazardous Materials Technician **********Utah State Fire Academy And Utah State Hazardous Materials Insitiute

The Mechanics Of Flight *****************Salt Lake City Flight Academy

Responding To Special Payloads*********** Department Of Energy
In Military Aircraft

Airport Operations********************** Salt Lake International Airport

Human Factors And Psychology************ Weber State University
Of Aviation Incidents

OSHA 500/501 for **********************Iowa Institute Of Safety And Health
29CFR1926/1910

Understanding The Basics Of *************Salt Lake City Flight Academy
FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations)

Part 91 & Part 121 Incident ***************Salt Lake City Flight Academy
Investigation

(Do you need me to go on or is that enough?)

As far as my consultant status for investigation, as I stated I have worked for law firms and general aviation companies. Because of confidental agreements I have signed I can not reveal those sources. I hope you understand that.

I do understand the reason for your questions, but you have caught me off guard asking me to prove who I am. If I post something you know is wrong, please let me know.

Yes I do have a degree.

And to close, I work in Occupational Health and Safety and I am available to consult on an Aviation accident if called. It has been three years since the last accident I was directly involved with, in case you were wondering. My role was working in a team to investigate, evaluate, and reach conclusions in aviation incidents and accidents. My specific duties change with each investigation, but mainly focus on the accident aircraft.

E-mail me if you have any further questions.

For the rest of you, HAPPY NEW YEAR! May this new year bring all of you peace, safety, and good health. :rawk:

Have you done any NTSB or FAA accredited investigation courses in OKC or anywhere else? I read where you wrote that you are not a pilot, do you work with anyone that is? Are you an actual engineer?

Not taking a swipe, but that is quite a telling title that implies an extremely high level of accountability. I would hate to see the media take what you say as fact without double checking it.

I think safetyengineer drowned in his own tears last week and said he was leaving jetcareers forever. Something about everyone questioning his credentials/font selections...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I sign onto JC
click on/read this thread..
scroll down...blue font...
scroll down...questions...
10 minutes later
scroll down...oh yeah he left

what a bummer you guys can't treat your guests this way didn't you ever see to kill a mockingbird?

I think safetyengineer drowned in his own tears last week and said he was leaving jetcareers forever. Something about everyone questioning his credentials/font selections...

hahaha

All I did was make a few comments, wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. In return I got blasted. It’s unfortunate when the people I’ve seen as my hero’s treat me like I’m a zero. Call me a cry baby, call me a quitter. It’s not worth the slamming I have received. I will not post anymore.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I sign onto JC
click on/read this thread..
10 minutes later
scroll down...oh yeah he left

what a bummer you guys can't treat your guests this way didn't you ever see to kill a mockingbird?

That's funny!:yup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back