A man was charged with fraudulently earning more than 42 million frequent-flyer miles worth $1.75 million

Oxman

:ooh: A new scheme every day.

A man was indicted by federal prosecutors this week, accused of earning more than 42 million Delta frequent-flyer miles by committing fraud.

Prosecutors said on Thursday that Gennady Podolsky, a managing partner of a Chicago travel agency, Vega International Travel Services, earned the miles through Delta's SkyBonus program, which lets businesses earn frequent-flyer points when their employees travel.

The indictment said Podolsky created a SkyBonus account for a fertility center owned by a relative of Vega's president. When Podolsky's customers flew Delta and booked through Vega Travel, he would enter the fertility center's SkyBonus information, even though the travelers were not employees of the fertility center and didn't have any connection to it, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said that this way Podolsky earned and redeemed more than 42 million SkyBonus points, which the airline valued at $1.75 million.
Podolsky, a dual Ukrainian and American citizen, has been relatively prolific in his role as a travel agent and adviser. In a 2016 profile in Wired, Podolsky said he preferred to think of himself as a "creative director.

Podolsky could not be reached for comment on Friday, and Delta did not immediately return a request for comment.

42 million SkyPesos, that's good for what, a domestic first class ticket ATL-BHM?

There's truth to that but the good deals are on other carriers. I've booked friends on Virgin to England for 10k in econ, and their Upper Class is only about 86k. Seat isn't as good as D1, but service is better, and D1 typically runs 320k...

Delta is happy to sell (redeem) points for main cabin + or whatever their service is, without having seats available. Interesting...

So this is why, as a DM, I can't get an upgrade. ;)

As in Diamond? I thought it was basically impossible for diamonds to NOT get upgraded.

I’m just a lowly Gold, but yesterday not only did I clear the standby list on an earlier flight home, I also got upgraded. Madness.

Back