A long flight

Snuggle

A special thanks to the 777 crews at Delta for accommodating me in business elite from JFK - BOM AND back. The 15.5 hour flight flew by with the lay flat bed seats. The food was excellent, the crews were very friendly, and 1 of the 4 pilots even gave me a tour of the pilot rest facility. Total cost was around 20 dollars in taxes and a box of Godiva chocolates.

Attachments

• miles.jpg
    miles.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 328
How was India?

I went after about 8 years, a lot has changed. It was a very memorable trip because I got to meet a lot of family that I haven't seen for 8 yrs. India itself has changed quite a bit in the past 8 years. There are malls everywhere just like the ones we have here, mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants are all over the place. Bars, lounges, nightclubs, themed restaurants, they have it all. I was even working out at Golds Gym in India. It isn't the India it used to be 8 years ago, there's a lot more development. A lot more jobs and a middle class now exists. Of course coming from America you need to keep an open mind as things are different out there. The strangest thing for me was how respectful everyone was, even if you go to a restaurant the waiters are very respectful and I wasn't used to that being from New York.

I traveled within India on Spice Jet and Kingfisher, after talking with the crew I realized how much more respect the Captain gets from everyone. It seems like the Captain has a lot more authority there then we do here. When I asked about jumpseating, the Gate agent told me the Captain has full authority over that and they really just do whatever he says. Oh yea and they say ''Commander'' for the Captain.

I went after about 8 years, a lot has changed. It was a very memorable trip because I got to meet a lot of family that I haven't seen for 8 yrs. India itself has changed quite a bit in the past 8 years. There are malls everywhere just like the ones we have here, mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants are all over the place. Bars, lounges, nightclubs, themed restaurants, they have it all. I was even working out at Golds Gym in India. It isn't the India it used to be 8 years ago, there's a lot more development. A lot more jobs and a middle class now exists. Of course coming from America you need to keep an open mind as things are different out there.

Do you see this 'progress' as a good or bad thing? Personally, I dislike when other cultures are 'Americanized' in the sense of everything suburbia and fast food. Progress is one thing, but cloning our culture seems silly to me. Jobs and middle class are good for them, but more MickeyD's are not IMHO.

My and I definitely want to get over there sometime soon.

Do you see this 'progress' as a good or bad thing? Personally, I dislike when other cultures are 'Americanized' in the sense of everything suburbia and fast food. Progress is one thing, but cloning our culture seems silly to me. Jobs and middle class are good for them, but more MickeyD's are not IMHO.

My and I definitely want to get over there sometime soon.

I agree with you to an extent. I thought about this as well, but India seems to be keeping it's culture for the most part. It's still India and you can still experience the Indian culture there. You should definitely go visit, it's a great place to check out. Let me know if you ever decide to go and have questions, I may have some useful info for you.

Can you post some more pics of your trip?

Unfortunately due to the moisture there my cam kept getting all foggy. I'll post what I have but it's mostly stuff from indoors like Food. It's monsoon season and the moisture in the air is just crazy in Mumbai. After lunch I'll get on it.

The in flight dinning experience on board the 777.

Attachments

• india2.jpg
    india2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 116
  • india3.jpg
    india3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 114
  • india4.jpg
    india4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 100
  • india5.jpg
    india5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 119
  • india6.jpg
    india6.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 90
  • india7.jpg
    india7.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 97
  • india8.jpg
    india8.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 95
First pic here is from a restaurant called Barbecue Nation, the food cooks in front of you and you can use the brush to flavor the food yourself. The second pic is from another restaurant called Serengeti, it's a Rainforest theme. Third picture shows the ''Mob Justice'' which still goes on in India, local people who catch crimes happening will actually beat the person up and then call the cops. The last picture isn't the best shot of it, but if you look past the white car you will say the famous 3 wheeled Auto Rikshaw. Their like little taxis that buzz around all over India. In other countries they are called the ''Tuk Tuk''.

Attachments

• india9.jpg
    india9.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 89
  • india10.jpg
    india10.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 84
  • india11.jpg
    india11.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 92
  • india1.jpg
    india1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 98
That's because they were sitting in coach. I guess the only thing they'll have to complain about now is how much it costs to buy a meager snack during flight.

I went after about 8 years, a lot has changed. It was a very memorable trip because I got to meet a lot of family that I haven't seen for 8 yrs. India itself has changed quite a bit in the past 8 years. There are malls everywhere just like the ones we have here, mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants are all over the place. Bars, lounges, nightclubs, themed restaurants, they have it all. I was even working out at Golds Gym in India. It isn't the India it used to be 8 years ago, there's a lot more development. A lot more jobs and a middle class now exists. Of course coming from America you need to keep an open mind as things are different out there. The strangest thing for me was how respectful everyone was, even if you go to a restaurant the waiters are very respectful and I wasn't used to that being from New York.

I traveled within India on Spice Jet and Kingfisher, after talking with the crew I realized how much more respect the Captain gets from everyone. It seems like the Captain has a lot more authority there then we do here. When I asked about jumpseating, the Gate agent told me the Captain has full authority over that and they really just do whatever he says. Oh yea and they say ''Commander'' for the Captain.

This was my experience with going to germany as well on Singapore. I tried to get on Lufthansa from JFK-FRA and was abruptly shut out by any/all gate agents, even in uniform w/ US Airways hardware, speaking german. Went over to the Singapore and they sent me to talk to the captain who was very accommodating. It seemed like once he said it was okay, the gate agents did whatever possible to put my name into the system. No clue how they had me listed, but it printed out a boarding pass with a seat assignment.

Great pics! Did you by any chance get to visit the flight deck?

Yep! sure did. It was pretty busy up there with 4 pilots. Speaking of which, it's interesting to note there are only 2 jumpseats in the cockpit and 4 pilots total. So the Captain told me if the FAA does want to sit up front, the 777 has a special waiver to allow a pilot to sit in the pilot rest area for the takeoff and landing. You have to be rated in the 777 to sit up there as well.

I notice that it's that way all around Europe. Out here in Russia they also say Commander. When someone wants to talk to you they say, "Tovarish Commader". It's pretty neat becuase people actually have a form of respect for the captain and the position it holds. They may or may not like the person but they respect the position. Glad you had a great trip!!!

Back