A little advice

cth2010

Well, I attended IFOD and got my dx cert. 2 months ago but the job search has been lame. I'm finding that even the tiniest companies want experience which I don't have. I've applied to a bunch of small cargo and flight schools and, yes, a few were nice enough to send me a wonderfully written email telling me to drop dead but mostly I'm hearing crickets. Before I go back to school for sonography or something(shoot me now), should I pursue a ramp operations gig to bolster my resume? My work history is oddball: b.s. accounting 30 years ago, sales and then FEDEX independent contractor. Clearly, my lack of any aviation experience is killing me but would ramp work really add to my skill set? For the last 14 years I've lugged heavy packages in all kinds of miserable weather as a fedex contractor and so slinging heavy luggage in all kinds of miserable weather no longer appeals to me, especially if it wouldn't significantly improve my chances of getting dx work. Or would it?

Also, I've noticed that in many airports airlines have contracted out their ramp operations. However, I have found ramp jobs under the DAL title. Question: Would I better off working directly for Delta's ramp ops - even for less pay - versus a contracted company. Delta is willing to pay a cool $17,000 for ramp work but at least with them I'm getting a foot in the door which could help me move up to dx eventually? Or would it?

Forgive my cranky sarcasms, just trying to keep a sense of humor over here. Since I'm in the ILM area I have widened my search area to a radius of 250 miles. I am willing to sleep away from home in a seedy hotel for $12/hr. if it gets me the requisite experience. I am quite serious and passionate but also realize that I may be too old and too inexperienced. It's all good.
Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on where I can volunteer or just gather relatable experience it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Well, I attended IFOD and got my dx cert. 2 months ago but the job search has been lame. I'm finding that even the tiniest companies want experience which I don't have. I've applied to a bunch of small cargo and flight schools and, yes, a few were nice enough to send me a wonderfully written email telling me to drop dead but mostly I'm hearing crickets. Before I go back to school for sonography or something(shoot me now), should I pursue a ramp operations gig to bolster my resume? My work history is oddball: b.s. accounting 30 years ago, sales and then FEDEX independent contractor. Clearly, my lack of any aviation experience is killing me but would ramp work really add to my skill set? For the last 14 years I've lugged heavy packages in all kinds of miserable weather as a fedex contractor and so slinging heavy luggage in all kinds of miserable weather no longer appeals to me, especially if it wouldn't significantly improve my chances of getting dx work. Or would it?

Also, I've noticed that in many airports airlines have contracted out their ramp operations. However, I have found ramp jobs under the DAL title. Question: Would I better off working directly for Delta's ramp ops - even for less pay - versus a contracted company. Delta is willing to pay a cool $17,000 for ramp work but at least with them I'm getting a foot in the door which could help me move up to dx eventually? Or would it?

Forgive my cranky sarcasms, just trying to keep a sense of humor over here. Since I'm in the ILM area I have widened my search area to a radius of 250 miles. I am willing to sleep away from home in a seedy hotel for $12/hr. if it gets me the requisite experience. I am quite serious and passionate but also realize that I may be too old and too inexperienced. It's all good.
Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on where I can volunteer or just gather relatable experience it would be greatly appreciated. :)

2 months isn’t that long of a time to be waiting. If you can afford to be patient I would do that. There are plenty of airlines willing to give people with no experience their first shot.

2 months isn’t that long of a time to be waiting. If you can afford to be patient I would do that. There are plenty of airlines willing to give people with no experience their first shot.

However, if you must find work immediately, then getting a job (any job) might be necessary to keep you off the streets.

That being said, if you can be patient, you'll be fine.

Keep this forum in your back pocket, because the openings almost always get posted here by someone too.

Honestly first gig is never about experience. Go in with a good personality, eagerness to learn and do the job. If you do that and pass whatever test they have you should get the job.

But be realistic dont expect to get on at a cargo, mainline or even some supplemental carriers without experience.

Also would add that getting the first job sometimes takes awhile. Took me 4 months to get one. Then after I got it I got offered a job I applied for 4 months before that.

Oh, and if you are willing to move, that opens a lot more doors. Starting out you can't afford to limit yourself or you'll be sitting around wandering why you aren't employed.

What city do you live in currently?

As other have mentioned, it takes time to get your first job - I had a hell of a time with my first quest for a job.

Stay on top of the material you learned in school also.

Also, don't let rumors fool you about where you when to school (PM me if you want to know more about this topic) - at the end of the day, you have your license - that is all that matters. I have worked with people who have gone to Sheffield to the Sonora Wings school....All good dispatchers.

Best of luck to you!

If you have experience as a Fedex contractor, it might be a good idea to try to get a job working for Fedex in a ramp capacity. GSO is expanding for Fedex. Fedex loves to hire dispatchers internally.

Im not sure what you have access to as a former Fedex contractor but if you did good work or had a good reputation, it could really help in getting hired by Fedex into dispatch.

250 miles within ILM doesn’t leave you with many realistic options.

For some quick experience Eastern Airlines formerly Dynamic in Greensboro is hiring. They are located in Greensboro, NC. If you’re willing to go to 400 miles , Piedmont Airlines hires anything and anyone. Surprisingly they aren’t hiring right now but they will be soon. They’re in Salisbury, MD — both those places are the hurry up get a job and get it on your resume and immediately look for a new job places.

Dispatcher job at Eastern Airlines - Part 121 Aviation Aircraft Dispatcher

My advice is going to echo a lot of what was said but hopefully it helps you anyways.

1. You need to be willing to move and further than 250 miles from ILM . I got lucky and my airline is where I'm from. Most are not that lucky. We have people here from as far west as california, to as far east as new york and anywhere in between. There is a relatively small amount of 121 shops in the US and they're decently spread out. . if you are looking for a job and are limiting yourself based on location when you have no experience, you're only handicapping yourself. I went on a different thread and roughly counted 18 regionals on that spreadsheet (there are probably a lot more but those ones are generally higher profile ones). Just by eyeballing it, 0 of those 18 are within 250 miles of ILM. Those include Endeavor and Compass in MSP, Skywest in St George, UT, Expressjet in atlanta, Envoy in Dallas, horizon in PDX, Republic in IND, PSA in Dayton, Mesa in PHX, Trans States in STL and silver in RSW. All of those give you part 121 experience with flight benefits which by holding yourself to such a small radius from ILM, you are essentially punting on the best jobs available, including some that hire frequently and whos dispatchers move on to bigger and better easier than those who go different routes (ie: 135 or what have you) If you're not prepared to move, I would begin to consider other options as your wait to get anywhere worthwhile may be long or infinite.

2. Have you had any interviews? Even a video interview? If so, perhaps practicing your interviewing skills may help. Video interviews (which i know some airlines are going with now) are particularly awkward so brushing up speaking to a camera might not be a bad idea. I've found a lot of success in interviews (especially an in person portion) making sure they know how much you want to be there. Especially at the regional level. My only aviation experience coming into this job was 41 hours of private pilot training that I had to abandon due to lack of funds, and a big interest in airplanes. They'll take people at regionals who seem like they have half a brain and a desire to be there and learn. If you've had interviews that haven't gone well, maybe work on how you convey that.

3. If you aren't getting interviews, it might be worth asking/paying someone to look over your resume. I do this frequently because God knows, I have no idea what to put on a resume. It can't hurt at the least.

4. I called the HR recruiter for my job every day for 2 weeks before I got an interview. Might be worth calling if you haven't yet.

I honestly don't think your age has nearly as much to do with it as the limited scope you've put on your search in terms of distance.. We have few "older" people where I work who are career changers.

I wish you the best and hope you get a job in the industry. I quite enjoy it.

I also went to IFOD and also had zero aviation experience. It was about 3 months of applying before I got my first interview. And now I work at a regional airline. I didn’t limit myself on location though. Definitely don’t give up just yet.

Don’t stress it. It took me 6 months after finishing Sheffield before I got picked up by a regional. I got pretty down and discouraged after countless TBNT’s, if I heard anything at all. But keep your nose to the grindstone and it’ll work out.

Yeah, I think the limiting your search to a small radius is what's killing you.

I got lucky in that there's a few operators where I live. Being willing to move will help you a lot. I went from a Part 135 right out of dispatch school, a few months later at a domestic Part 121 working in flight ops but not dispatch, and 2 years later now dispatch at a supplemental Part 121 operator - all of these in the same city.

To reiterate again, if you really want it, you're going to have to be willing to move.

To autosave36 and the rest, Thanks so much!! Really blown away by how many responded and I will take all your advice. This is a great forum.

I got my ticket in 2017 and I’m still looking to get picked up. I’d prefer not to move, but that hasn’t stopped me from applying to positions all over the country. Just trying to be patient and waiting for that day to arrive. Just be aware you may be waiting a while or you may get a call tomorrow. Just keep at it.

My advice is going to echo a lot of what was said but hopefully it helps you anyways.

1. You need to be willing to move and further than 250 miles from ILM . I got lucky and my airline is where I'm from. Most are not that lucky. We have people here from as far west as california, to as far east as new york and anywhere in between. There is a relatively small amount of 121 shops in the US and they're decently spread out. . if you are looking for a job and are limiting yourself based on location when you have no experience, you're only handicapping yourself. I went on a different thread and roughly counted 18 regionals on that spreadsheet (there are probably a lot more but those ones are generally higher profile ones). Just by eyeballing it, 0 of those 18 are within 250 miles of ILM. Those include Endeavor and Compass in MSP, Skywest in St George, UT, Expressjet in atlanta, Envoy in Dallas, horizon in PDX, Republic in IND, PSA in Dayton, Mesa in PHX, Trans States in STL and silver in RSW. All of those give you part 121 experience with flight benefits which by holding yourself to such a small radius from ILM, you are essentially punting on the best jobs available, including some that hire frequently and whos dispatchers move on to bigger and better easier than those who go different routes (ie: 135 or what have you) If you're not prepared to move, I would begin to consider other options as your wait to get anywhere worthwhile may be long or infinite.

2. Have you had any interviews? Even a video interview? If so, perhaps practicing your interviewing skills may help. Video interviews (which i know some airlines are going with now) are particularly awkward so brushing up speaking to a camera might not be a bad idea. I've found a lot of success in interviews (especially an in person portion) making sure they know how much you want to be there. Especially at the regional level. My only aviation experience coming into this job was 41 hours of private pilot training that I had to abandon due to lack of funds, and a big interest in airplanes. They'll take people at regionals who seem like they have half a brain and a desire to be there and learn. If you've had interviews that haven't gone well, maybe work on how you convey that.

3. If you aren't getting interviews, it might be worth asking/paying someone to look over your resume. I do this frequently because God knows, I have no idea what to put on a resume. It can't hurt at the least.

4. I called the HR recruiter for my job every day for 2 weeks before I got an interview. Might be worth calling if you haven't yet.

I honestly don't think your age has nearly as much to do with it as the limited scope you've put on your search in terms of distance.. We have few "older" people where I work who are career changers.

I wish you the best and hope you get a job in the industry. I quite enjoy it.

This. Plus, get a job at a real Fedex ramp. We take ramp agents all the time and if you have dx experience it always helps out.

Take it from me....I was an external hire into FDX several years ago. Best company ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back