A lesson in Diversion (kinda long)

ready2fly

Let me preface this by saying that our forcasters SUCK!!!

K. Forward.

Headed north last night to X35 (Dunnellon) - a 68 NM (one way) trip. The further north I got, the more clouds seemed to be hanging around (which, for Florida in late afernoon - is no big deal), but the were getting darker.

I had called wx-Brief before I left and was told that the wx along my route would be clear. "Only high cirrus for the rest of the evening". I was also told that any convective activity was on the East coast of FL and was moving west, but would not interfere with my flight.

Then, I went on line and checked the wx along my route as a back up. Nothing forecasted there either. Cumulus clouds at 5000, but clearing.... or so it says...

So.....off I go.

As I left Tampa's airspace and was instructed by Approach (again - did Flight Following), I noticed that the clouds to the North West of me seemed to be producing rain.... that or a HUGE shadow.... so, after I contacted JAX Approach, and was instructed to expect a VFR approach into Dunellon... I overheard that same controller tell a plane some 15-20 miles ahead of me to "be looking for that storm that developed to the South-West of Dunellon and looks to be growing in intensity."

Ummmm - okay.

So, I call the controller and ask him "did you just say that there is a storm South West of Dunnellon and growing in intensity?"

He confirms... so, I keep my eye on it and it does not look promising that I would reach my destination.

Being in the 150, I was already being kicked around pretty good.

I was approaching X40 (Inverness), a small strip that is 3762 X 60 and was just off my 1 o'clock.

I IMMEDIATELY called back to Jax and informed them that I was diverting, landing at X-ray 40 and getting out of town.

I landed, took off and turned West as the dark clouds were already directly overhead and bouncing me around.... it was crystal clear to the west along the coast, but I didn't want to get stuck there or worse - blown out into the Gulf.

I called Flight Service and got an update on the storm and they told me that it was building in intensity and was "fishooking" in front of me to the south.

He said that I should be safe if I fly to the coast and head south. So, I headed west and stayed about 10 miles inland. The storm was about 15 miles to my east and looking nasty.... no lightening, but dark clouds and rain... lots of rain.

As I approached BKV (Hernando County), I contacted Tampa Approach and requested Flight Following and asked if they saw the storms on radar.... they did not.... leading me to the IMMEDIATE conclusion that Tampa needs new radars!!

Then the controller says "Cessna niner seven juliette, turn to a heading of one five zero...".... DIRECTLY INTO the storm!

If I would have cancelled and got VFR on my own course, I would have had to go out over the Gulf and that didn't seem favorable since the storm seemed to be heading that way.

I informed him that he was vectoring me directly into the storms and that I was not instrument rated. He said: "well, they don't show up on the radar, so they can't be THAT intense.... let me know if you need anything else".

I cleared the first row of clouds with no rain. I was at 2000 and the cloud bases were at about 4500 to 5000, so no factor. He then instructed me to "proceed on course" to TPF.

As I turned to 210, I IMMEDIATELY ran into the rain. It was light at first and I could see. I called Approach and informed him that I was in the rain and where I was and how high. He said "still don't see any storms on radar... let me know when you get out of them"

As soon as he said that, the rain got worse! I could see clearly out the sides, but to the front, it was REALLY blurry. I concentrated on my instruments and after about two minutes, I broke out of the rain and it was clear for the rest of the flight back to TPF.

Needless to say though, I was PISSED!!! Not that the forecast was wrong so much as how CRAPPY Tampa's radar is!!

Afterall - sometimes, storms develope that are not forecasted, but for a realtively "large" system like Tampa to NOT see a line of storms that reached from North Tampa all the way to Dunnellon, Florida - 68 miles in length.... is inexplicable.

I got on the ground safely abeit with a 90 degree crosswind to RWY 21 (RWY 35/17 are closed right now, otherwise, I would have used 35 since that's where the surface wind was coming from.). Made a CRAPPY x wind landing (note to self - work on x wind landings) , secured the aircraft and thanked the aviation gods that I was on the ground.

So, anything there that you see that I could have/should have done differently?

It sounds like an interesting trip. It seems that you learned a very important lesson in aviation, you and you alone are responsible for your own safety. As it seems, the weather briefing you received was inaccurate and ATC neither provided adequate weather warning and also vectored you towards the area of precipitation. I was glad to read you landed the aircraft at the small strip. Smart move, when things dont start going they way they were planned , you did the right thing, get he aircraft on the ground and evaluate the situation. I am sure you were thinking to yourself when the controller vectored you into the rain that it was easy for him to say "It can't be that bad". He isnt sitting in a 150 bouncing around the sky.

Thanks. Exactly... and I am surprised there's not a nipple on the seat caused by my butt puckering to it.

[ QUOTE ]
"well, they don't show up on the radar, so they can't be THAT intense.... let me know if you need anything else".

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't say much. They can't see microbursts either. I've had very similar experiences to this in TX and AZ. Sometimes weather will pop up real quick and ATC just seems to lag behind, must be something in how it workks. This is exactly why it is so important to file PIREP's, allot of the time what we experience is very different from what is forecast.

Yup, I agree. You did the right thing. Hell, I did the same thing about a week ago with a student on an instrument flight. The weather was getting progressively worse, we had already missed 2 approaches because it was below mins., and been forced into a hold for 15 min., so we diverted to an airport nearby that has an ILS and called it a day. Turned out we ended up having to wait 2 full days for the wx to pick up to above mins so we could get the plane back.

[ QUOTE ]
He said: "well, they don't show up on the radar, so they can't be THAT intense.... let me know if you need anything else".

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
...but I believe that ATC can filter out weather on their radar 2 intensity levels at a time. Meaning, light or even moderate stuff won't show up, but the heavier stuff will. Having done quite a bit of flying in FL, I think they usually filter it so only the heaviest stuff shows up. Also, as was already said, they can't see things like microbursts, etc. All they can see is precip. I could be slightly off on the radar thing, so if theres any ATC gurus on here...please correct me.

[ QUOTE ]
He said: "well, they don't show up on the radar, so they can't be THAT intense.... let me know if you need anything else".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, if you fly in the "Sunshine State" enough, you'll get plenty of diversion practice.

ATC radar is not made for looking at thunderstorms. There will be plenty of storms out there that don't show up on the scope that will be bad news for a light airplane.

If you don't have airborne weather radar or a stormscope, your best bet is to remain clear of clouds and use the Mk. I Eyeball. A close second is leaving the freq. to talk to FSS on a regular basis.

>>ATC radar is not made for looking at thunderstorms. There will be plenty of storms out there that don't show up on the scope that will be bad news for a light airplane.<<

I'll second that. Air Traffic Control does not have access to doppler rader at their stations. All they can pick up is what the rain bounces back to their scopes.

Some stations, however, do have internet access and that's what they use to pull up the weather. When it gets really busy don't expect the controller to leave his/her station to walk across the room to download the latest radar picture.

[ QUOTE ]
Air Traffic Control does not have access to doppler rader at their stations. All they can pick up is what the rain bounces back to their scopes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know. I had incorrectly thought that ATC had the same ability as FSS to see storms. That's what bothered me. I thought "how is this guy NOT seeing this???" because it wasn't like it was a little storm.

It was abot 60 miles long with bases at 5K and tops - up there in the 10 - 15K range. No little shower.

But, that being said - I know that I'll just keep FSS on standby from now on for updates.

Yeah I believe the ASR-9 radars (the ones most approach controllers have) can show combined intensity 1&2, 3&4, 5&6; and they have the ability to block them out to declutter the screen. Some of the centers have the kind (don't know the name) where areas of precip show up as //// and heavy rain will show as HHH. It's all about wavelength, the longer the wavelength, the less likely areas of light to moderate rain will show up.

As for the flight, you absouletely did the right thing. That was kind of a bad comment from the controllers; he (or she) seemed to imply that you should have no problem with it simply because it didn't show up. I'm sure you were on top of the situation the entire time; just remember if they ever tell you fly heading 150 and it's gonna put you in a bad spot you can always say 'unable'. It might piss 'em off a bit but who cares, flying into a storm because of an uninformed vector would piss ME off. Anyways once you get your rating this kind of thing won't be a problem
laugh.gif
(assuming it wasn't one of those plane eating clouds; ie Tstorms). Good luck with the ride!

[ QUOTE ]
(assuming it wasn't one of those plane eating clouds; ie Tstorms)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats usually the only kind there is in FL!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck with the ride!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! I've got a whoppin' 1.7 of x/c time to knock out and a plane reserved for tonight.... but, we're expecting the same kind of stuff for this evening.... so, since there's no rush - I MAY just hold off until Monday.

At any rate.. the ride is just around the corner!! I'll be sure and post it up AFTER I've passed!!
grin.gif

OK; for curiosity's sake I just skimmed Machado's weather chapter.

Basically what I said is correct, except that ASR-9s can show any intensity level they want, or they can supress them all. It's wavelength is between 5-10cm; for comparison center's radar is 30cm; NWS is 10cm. The smaller the wavelength, the more likely a return will show from precip.

One more thing: returns will vary by cloud type; if the activity is convective you'll only get a level 2 return whereas if it was stratiform you'll get a 3 or 4 return for the same amount of precip. My guess at the reason is because stratiform = steady = more area and more possibility of a return; convective = strong but showery = less area to bounce off.

So if the guy says it's a level 2 and you see one of those bumpy clouds, best avoid it; whereas if its nice and smooth go ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
So if the guy says it's a level 2 and you see one of those bumpy clouds, best avoid it; whereas if its nice and smooth go ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm lookin' out my office window right now and I'm seeing a bunch of those bumpy clouds with dark bases.... soooooo..... might make it a no go for tonight and take care of it next week.

Back