A late night departure...

I_Money

from LAX bound to JFK. All is going well, you have a nice afternoon nap, the weather enroute seems perfect, it is your last trip of the month with a great FO, it looks like it is going to be an enjoyable day at the office.

All the passengers have board and have started to settle in so they can go to sleep after departure. Just before the door closes the head flight attendant runs up to the cockpit and your worst nightmare has become a reality.

You are a captain on a night flight, and the coffee machine is broken - what would you do??

Roll Fire and rescue, deploy emergency evacuation chutes, deplane. Call it a night.
grin.gif

well - i'd get it fixed.. pronto!!

altho there was one flight where the video was broken and the girls had to do the "procedures" manually... in that case, they did not fix the video before takeoff...on a 5 hr flight - that's sad!!

Haha, I don't think it's a required item. And considering on LAX to JFK they probably have 10 of them, not going to be a major problem. There isn't an MEL for a coffee maker.
grin.gif

Uhh, Folks we have an electrical problem. It will be fixed momentarily. THen the FO grabs the thermos and runs back into the apt to go to Starbucks for a refill.
grin.gif

Well I dont drink coffee anymore. I'd probally just drink a little coke since I cant get liquored up before operating.

It's funny you posted this scenario. In FLYING's January issue, Capt. Les Abend writes about this topic in his Jumpseat column. Its a great insight on how some people have poor work ethics, and others go out of their way for good customer service.

I do what Capt. Abend did.

When I was doing transcons with AA on our 767s we had 8 coffee pots on board. I had a couple flights where we went with one inop, but it wasn't often. They're really easy to replace, the whole unit just comes out from the galley, and the mechanics would simply plug a new one in and we'd go. Obviously we would never delay a flight for it, because there were so many, but if we caught it early enough to call MX they'd always come replace it.

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I don't think it's a required item. And considering on LAX to JFK they probably have 10 of them, not going to be a major problem. There isn't an MEL for a coffee maker.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But remember safe operation of flight - can a crew operate an aircraft safely at night without a coffee machine????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But remember safe operation of flight - can a crew operate an aircraft safely at night without a coffee machine????

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, we're talking mega air-rage. I think this situation could be more dangerous than someone with a gun on board. We've all seen the movie Airplane. Remember what happened when the FA announced they were out of coffee? It could happen.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, we're talking mega air-rage. I think this situation could be more dangerous than someone with a gun on board. We've all seen the movie Airplane. Remember what happened when the FA announced they were out of coffee? It could happen.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point!!!

Anyone brave enough to try a self-heating can of coffee? If you are, let me know if you can still feel anyting afterwards.
crazy.gif

coffee2.jpg

It's also not a good idea to take the wire off a bottle of champage and then set it in the galley to 'open later'. I flew with a girl who did that, by the time I saw what she'd done, I couldn't get to the bottle in time, and it blew it's cork and spilled everywhere. Scared the crap out of everyone all the way back to row 10. Even the pilots called back and were a little 'curious' as to what the loud BANG was. At least this was pre-9/11 so nobody freaked out too much.

[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

true true.. Then, we could always inflate the "automatic pilot" since I don't think he drinks coffee.
laugh.gif

LMAO

Just hope and pray you don't have to re-inflate him while the captain is watching...

Back