A FYI to ERAU Magna Cum Laude grads from a mere mortal

You’d have to be a moron to be a newhire JSing on another airline and taking an issue straight to the Feds.

I’m suppose to mentor this? It’d be like telling someone, hey, you know you probably shouldn’t stab someone. The receiving end of that might not like it. This should all fall under common sense 101.

I take it they're no longer teaching "snitches get stitches" in indoc?
To be fair, I don't think they are teaching ANYTHING in indoc. At least not at the carriers I've worked for. There is a very large hole in training that covers actually being an airline pilot that no one seems to be able to fully address. It seems like there is some effort, but it's just not sufficient. How to jumpseat without making enemies is one of those topics being missed.

Stolen

4224D548-092E-4F5C-8E3B-7541CD8C5032.jpeg

The Stars & Stripes necktie on the SWAPilat is a nice touch.

But yeah, save your cares for stuff that matters.

To be fair, I don't think they are teaching ANYTHING in indoc. At least not at the carriers I've worked for. There is a very large hole in training that covers actually being an airline pilot that no one seems to be able to fully address. It seems like there is some effort, but it's just not sufficient. How to jumpseat without making enemies is one of those topics being missed.

Problem is that most of that stuff is company mandated generic "on boarding" type stuff, that applies to all the work groups. At least at my shop it was. Fully agree that NH/indoc week should be tailored a lot more to "here's the stuff you need to know as an airline pilot" material. Perhaps there is a general assumption that these things are fairly well understood in a room that is largely filled with experienced former-regional types.

Problem is that most of that stuff is company mandated generic "on boarding" type stuff, that applies to all the work groups. At least at my shop it was. Fully agree that NH/indoc week should be tailored a lot more to "here's the stuff you need to know as an airline pilot" material. Perhaps there is a general assumption that these things are fairly well understood in a room that is largely filled with experienced former-regional types.

That’s why on Union day the rep presenting asks whose former military or zero 121 time, so they can get linked up with mentors where AS was their first show. Hopefully down the road they will in turn become mentors themselves.

But I agree, maybe even just a 1/2 day on commuting, crash pad and other dynamics of the job prior to chatting with a mentor.

You're absolutely right. Indoc is absolutely a government mandated box checking program. Which is fine, provided the class is full of experienced regional flyers. but that's not always the case. At my current shop, I'd say a bit less than half the class was prior military and another few percent corpies of various flavors. And then you have those regional Indocs that's full of CFIs and 91/135 people. The mentoring SHOULD, in a lot of cases, take care of itself, and it generally does, but there is still a lot of stuff that gets missed.

There is just so much stuff that is old magic and if you don't say the incantation properly the spell will backfire. I see all the time some of the old grognards losing their collective crap over "so a jumpseater came up and TOLD me he was assigned my jumpseat. Didn't ask or anything". Like, my guy, in a cold open that is a perfectly fine preamble to get the discussion going...but didn't say the incantation right so BURN HIM AT THE STAKE. This is the stuff we need to be better at teaching when mentoring fails to cover something.

We are failing the next generation of pilots, partially, by failing to properly indoctrinate them into the industry. We are failing them completely when we dox and crucify them.

Sorry...maybe a bit of a rant, but this is something that has bothered me for a while.

That’s why on Union day the union rep presenting asks whose former military or zero 121 time, so they can get linked up with mentors that AS was there first show. Hopefully down the road they will in turn become mentors themselves.

But I agree, maybe even just a 1/2 day on commuting, crash pad and other dynamics of the job prior to chatting with a mentor.
That's what it should be, but I've worked for 5 airlines and I've been given contact info for or contacted by a mentor exactly twice.

That's what it should be, but I've worked for 5 airlines and I've been given contact info for or contacted by a mentor exactly twice.

What’s that saying…

Easier said than done 😕

Then or than?? I should’ve went to college, oh boy.

I’m not saying anything about the veracity of the story, just that with the typos, it looks like a “proof” from the company SouthernJets uses:

Our very own JEP: (sanitized so I don’t get in trouble with intellectual property):

IMG_1997.jpeg

I only had a black and white laser to print the proof and took all of 30 seconds to make.

I’m not saying anything about the veracity of the story, just that with the typos, it looks like a “proof” from the company SouthernJets uses:

Our very own JEP: (sanitized so I don’t get in trouble with intellectual property):

View attachment 77825

I only had a black and white laser to print the proof and took all of 30 seconds to make.
That is absolutely hilarious. Btw Coffee burns when coming back out through your nose. Also I have your address and Jerome Powell will be sending you a bill for a new keyboard. I was like when did I send him a business card.... :)

Last edited:
The issues with Indoc are spot on.

Jetcareers is one of the main reasons I have avoided a ton of airline pilot faux pas, and had at least a rudimentary understanding of bidding, reserve and general etiquette. They taught us almost none of this at regional indoc.

Jetcareers is one of the main reasons I have avoided a ton of airline pilot faux pas, and had at least a rudimentary understanding of bidding, reserve and general etiquette. They taught us almost none of this at regional indoc.

At my company's Indoc they didn't even do a good job of teaching the FAA mandated material.

I came in with prior 121 time and left a week later completely lost. The only reason people passed the test was the answer key was floating around.

View attachment 77825

The chief pilot/ owner of a flight school once gave me a personal card that had "Wars fought, beers bought, women caught" as his tagline on it. I was able to discern he was a veteran, pub customer and I guess a bounty hunter that specialized in female fugitives?

Same.

Real talk. My regional was the same.

Class to instructor: when are we going to be taught about bidding?

Instructor: we don’t cover that. You’ll learn it on the line.

Class: Huh??

I never figured out when on “the line” this was supposed to occur. Between turns, on overnights? Ridiculous.

Back