a flight in a CJ1

sbe

well, last time we all met I had been incredibly fortunate to log time in the left seat of a 767 sim at the AA training facility in STL. In the "but wait, it gets better" department, just two weeks later I got to fly along right seat in a Citation CJ1 on a trip MKC (Kansas City Downtown) to ICT (Wichita Mid-Continent) to COU (Columbia, MO) back to MKC. Granted, it was middle of the night (I got up at 1am, we left about 2am...) but oh was it worth it!

I'll spare all the gory details (I posted this also over on studentpilot.com, you can read more about it here ) but wanted to share photos...

...too cool.
cool.gif

Sarah

sitting on the runway at COU right before takeoff
rwy20_COU.sized.jpg

The PFD en route COU-MKC at FL 180
pfd.sized.jpg

arriving over Kansas City
kc.sized.jpg

entering a left base for Rwy 19 at MKC
arriving_MKC.sized.jpg

short final Rwy 19/MKC
short_fnl_MKC.sized.jpg

Jeeesh Sarah, next thing you know we're going to be reading about you flying for some regional or corporate gig with only 300 hours. How are you getting all these lucky breaks? I'm thinkin I better move to Kansas City.
smirk.gif

I think Sara demonstrates what networking can get you. If you meet the right people you get rides in this plane, to fly that plane, tour this facility, or help on that project, etc. As Doug says NETWORKING NETWORKING NETWORKING!!

And being a pretty girl in a male dominated industry does not hurt!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

"I'm thinkin I better move to Kansas City"

NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We already have enough competition here in KC
grin.gif
grin.gif
mad.gif

That's great to hear. I'm very happy for you. Did you get to log the time?

to friggin cool. that is one phone call I would love to take at that time in the morning/night.

congrats...../

[ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard both positive and negative things face women in the cockpit. I have heard some companies are all for having women FO's and Captains and that at some companies there still exists resistance to women flying. Does anyone have anything to add (ie personal experiences, difference between flying w/women vs. men, other angles you may have). I recently read that only 2% of all women that have their pilot license are ATP rated. It seems like a very low number.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard both positive and negative things face women in the cockpit. I have heard some companies are all for having women FO's and Captains and that at some companies there still exists resistance to women flying. Does anyone have anything to add (ie personal experiences, difference between flying w/women vs. men, other angles you may have). I recently read that only 2% of all women that have their pilot license are ATP rated. It seems like a very low number.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom has actually been turned downed for two jobs because she is a women. Both were part time. One was copilot on a GIII and the other on a CE560. Both because the captain's wife on both aircraft didn't want a women flying with there husbands. These were two different companies based at the same airport.

We have quite a bit of women flying at our company (I think we have the highest male vs. female ratio). I enjoy flying with all of them! I just flew with a new female captain the other day, and we had a blast.

Everyone has different attitudes. I think a lot of the "anti-women" attitudes are starting to retire though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, before the terrorist attacks, when one of my friends would go into the cabin to get a soda or a cup of coffee, people would ask her for a drink or something like that. I'm like, how could they do that, pilot's uniforms are very different than FA's, and she just kind of shrugged and said, I don't know, but they do.

But it goes both ways. One time she was in the galley getting something before she headed to the cockpit and she thought one of the crew was a passenger.

And she is a very pretty girl. Married, but she's still very pretty.

Back