A few quick Logbook questions

jordan747_400

I just got a new Jeppeson Pro Pilot logbook and just want to double check a few things while I'm totalling my time and transfering it into the new book.

First off, does a PCATD count as a flight simulator? If not, how should I enter PCATD time if I've only got a column for flight simulator? Also, does PCATD time count as simulated instrument time or is simulated instrument time in the plane with the hood only.

My next question is about endorsements. How should I transfer my tailwheel, complex, etc. endorsements? Can any instructor sign them into my new logbook or does it have to be the instructor that issued them originally? I'd like to be able to have the endorsements put into the new logbook so I don't have to carry my old one around.

Anything else I might need to know about or do in order to properly transferall of my hours into the new logbook?

Thanks!

It isn't "sim" time, but if your logbook only has that, you can just put it there, or add another column. Doesn't really matter all that much. As far as logging it as simulated instrument or not, you can if you want, but some people like to log it as just airplane time. It makes it easier on an application.

The best thing to do is just leave them in the old logbook. If you want another instructor to sign it, they have to give you the required training again. If you want, you can photocopy and paste it in there, but that is ugly and not needed, IMO.

Just keep the old logbook in a safe place (preferably a safe.) Almost no one except student pilots carry their logbook in the plane with them. If the FAA ramp checks you and wants to verify a tail wheel endorsement, they have to give you a certain amount of days to produce the endorsement, so just go back to your old logbook.

As for simulator time, it only goes in the simulator line. It does not count toward total time or anything else. You can use 40 hours toward your IFR, and if you have your instrument ticket than counting that time is pretty pointless unless its to get current.

Just keep the old logbook in a safe place (preferably a safe.) Almost no one except student pilots carry their logbook in the plane with them. If the FAA ramp checks you and wants to verify a tail wheel endorsement, they have to give you a certain amount of days to produce the endorsement, so just go back to your old logbook.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

As for PCATD time, it is only PCATD time. It is not sim time. Do you plan on getting any more PCATD time you will want to use for something? It is pretty much useless time, unless you are part of a 141 program that requires it. If you want to add a new column (name it PCATD) you can, or you can just leave it in the old logbook and not transfer it (if you are not planning on getting more PCATD time).

Your old logbook it still a record that needs to be kept.

Thanks for the answers guys. I've already got my instrument so I doubt I'll be doing any more PCATD flying so I'll just leave it out of the new one then.

The last 8710 I filled out had a line each for Simulator, Training Device, and PCATD. In my paper logbook I log them all under the "Flight Simulator" column. I don't have that much simulator/PCATD time so it's easy to keep track of how much of that column is what type of synthetic flight. The only PCATD time I add now is for currency.

Back