A day at AKR

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
Some pictures I took with my phone. Formation blimp flight FTW.

Attachments

• 0911081357.jpg
    0911081357.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 0911081358.jpg
    0911081358.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 0911081358a.jpg
    0911081358a.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 0911081358b.jpg
    0911081358b.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 109
This was back in September. Still was pretty neat to see them up close in formation.

Probably the safest formation flight those pilots had ever done considering they could bounce off each other if they get too close :p

Hahaha nice. The one that we have based at PMP frequents the practice area in the mornings. It's about the only thing I can always keep track of out there.

Last time I was in the practice area with the blimp we both started heading back at the same time. I had landed, secured the plane, did my paperwork, and was getting ready to leave only to have it slowly appearing in the distance.

HA, I have flown at PMP. I was there last January. I felt at home with the Blimp there. Never saw it out in the practice area though. That is funny about the blimp.

The blimp here did a GPS approach into runway 25. I departed when he was two miles out. Noticed I forgot to latch the door (the top latch on Pipers dont like to latch in flight). Once I was about to turn base to land he was still a good mile out from the runway. Ended up having to do a base to upwind and go around again

They are slow but the pilots are nice to talk to. The one here in Akron used to sit in our traffic patterns a couple years ago, now they stay away. Doesn't help that Goodyear's headquarters are just north of the field.

The one here in Akron used to sit in our traffic patterns a couple years ago, now they stay away.
Probably chased away by the flight instructor that told someone on the radio that you can't land on the short runway (2/20?) at "MY airport".....

-mini

Last time I was in the practice area with the blimp we both started heading back at the same time. I had landed, secured the plane, did my paperwork, and was getting ready to leave only to have it slowly appearing in the distance.

Try sitting in an RJ during low IFR conditions waiting for a release from an uncontrolled airport for 45 minutes while an airship was coming down the ILS. Center wouldn't let us go with the traffic already cleared for the approach even though they were only doing about 10mph. The Airship (it was in Outback Steakhouse Colors) had it's light on and it was pretty cool to see this glowing thing come out of the fog at 300 feet.

Try sitting in an RJ during low IFR conditions waiting for a release from an uncontrolled airport for 45 minutes while an airship was coming down the ILS. Center wouldn't let us go with the traffic already cleared for the approach even though they were only doing about 10mph. The Airship (it was in Outback Steakhouse Colors) had it's light on and it was pretty cool to see this glowing thing come out of the fog at 300 feet.

That is awesome! Hahahahah!

You feeling a bit like --> :banghead: ?

Thanks for sharing that.

Back