A bad/poor pilot

I always find it amusing after bad weather days when people start rolling again it’s a 50/50 split of people who are super cheerful just happy to be moving and alive or thr most grumpy mf’ers you’ll ever hear

Guess which one I'll be on Wednesday afternoon up in EWR? I think it's suppose to rain/storm and I soooo much enjoy the NE on those days.:fury:

Guess which one I'll be on Wednesday afternoon up in EWR? I think it's suppose to rain/storm and I soooo much enjoy the NE on those days.:fury:

well never you fear cause I’m off Wednesday so you should get decent service. Although then again I got the plane Wednesday so you may have an RA for a VFR 1200 skirting under the B at 2900’.

Last edited:
I don't think I've flown with anyone at the professional level that couldn't complete the basic tasks and fly the airplane at a reasonable level. I did witness a captain have a complete meltdown when the APU died while starting the engine. Ultimately, not a big deal, but this guy just went pure animal. It looked like a legitimate panic attack or something.
Lol. Have you not been to FSI or CAE? They're excellent (at least relative to other, lesser professional schools which will go unnamed -as they should). You've not lived 'til you've seen some of the professional pilots who have passed through those vautned machines.

A bad pilot is one that thinks there is nothing left to learn.
This! I’m forced to fly with my boss’ CFI/II. He has 980TT, with 50 hours of piston multi, and ZERO turbine time. The boss sent him to the CJ3 initial as a “gift” (Which puts him in a pretty questionable ethics situation IMHO).

So, now he has an SOE and guess who get that glorious job? Before ever stepping into the ”real” plane, he actually said, “I can’t wait to get this SOE done so I can start flying the plane by myself”. Hmmm…25hrs of TOTAL turbine/turbojet time and you THINK you’ll be ready for the world……?

The problem is, he doesn’t want to learn anything beyond what FlightSafety has taught him. “Yeah, that’s what they said at FlightSafety” is his favorite line. I laid out a training plan so we could start from zero and move forward; he wanted nothing to do with it! He’s literally miles behind the plane, doesn’t want to listen, and I don’t think he has what it takes to go the speeds and altitudes we travel (at least not now).

The first time we flew together, he was right seat (this was before he punked my training plan) and he struggled getting an IFR clearance; this actually vapor-locked him. Later, we went through about a 700‘ layer of clouds, got ice, blah blah blah. As we cleared the tops, he said, “Wow, that’s the first time I’ve been in the clouds!”
”Wait, you’re a CFII, don’t you take your students into the clouds?”
”No, in the NE, we just don’t want to deal with all of that”.
”You’re doing your students a disservice if you’re not training them to the fullest.”
”That‘s your opinion.”

His flying skills are sub-par. NO understanding of power management, speeds, and systems as they relate to FLIGHT (he understands the books but not the application of the contents of the book). Furthermore, he’s unwilling to take advise or accept the help Because, “I have a type rating, you know!”

BOTTOM LINE:
Is this guy a poor or bad pilot?

He’s a CFI/II so he’s got some skills but, like ALL of us, he has limits to both physical and mental capabilities. He clearly can handle a Cirrus SR22 and is “rumored” to be quite good.
However he is WAY outside of his element in a CJ3. On the ground in a CJ3, poor pilot, in the air in a CJ3, bad pilot. I answer the above question like this: Would I feel comfortable sitting in the back with him flying? No, I would not!,

Thank God my responsibility for him doesn’t extend beyond his completion of 25hrs. 5.8 more hours to go……….

Last edited:
A hard assessment of one's own assumptions based on one's own contextual reality is likely the most important thing to assess when assessing others.
Rigorous standards matter. Consider an "A" student from a bad school.
Things tend to go sideways very quickly when the one-eyed man leads the blind. Then sideways becomes normal. The next generation never learns its history or its trend. And so on. Carry on.

This! I’m forced to fly with my boss’ CFI/II. He has 980TT, with 50 hours of piston multi, and ZERO turbine time. The boss sent him to the CJ3 initial as a “gift” (Which puts him in a pretty questionable ethics situation IMHO).

So, now he has an SOE and guess who get that glorious job? Before ever stepping into the ”real” plane, he actually said, “I can’t wait to get this SOE done so I can start flying the plane by myself”. Hmmm…25hrs of TOTAL turbine/turbojet time and you THINK you’ll be ready for the world……?

The problem is, he doesn’t want to learn anything beyond what FlightSafety has taught him. “Yeah, that’s what they said at FlightSafety” is his favorite line. I laid out a training plan so we could start from zero and move forward; he wanted nothing to do with it! He’s literally miles behind the plane, doesn’t want to listen, and I don’t think he has what it takes to go the speeds and altitudes we travel (at least not now).

The first time we flew together, he was right seat (this was before he punked my training plan) and he struggled getting an IFR clearance; this actually vapor-locked him. Later, we went through about a 700‘ layer of clouds, got ice, blah blah blah. As we cleared the tops, he said, “Wow, that’s the first time I’ve been in the clouds!”
”Wait, you’re a CFII, don’t you take your students into the clouds?”
”No, in the NE, we just don’t want to deal with all of that”.
”You’re doing your students a disservice if you’re not training them to the fullest.”
”That‘s your opinion.”

His flying skills are sub-par. NO understanding of power management, speeds, and systems as they relate to FLIGHT (he understands the books but not the application of the contents of the book). Furthermore, he’s unwilling to take advise or accept the help Because, “I have a type rating, you know!”

BOTTOM LINE:
Is this guy a poor or bad pilot?

He’s a CFI/II so he’s got some skills but, like ALL of us, he has limits to both physical and mental capabilities. He clearly can handle a Cirrus SR22 and is “rumored” to be quite good.
However he is WAY outside of his element in a CJ3. On the ground in a CJ3, poor pilot, in the air in a CJ3, bad pilot. I answer the above question like this: Would I feel comfortable sitting in the back with him flying? No, I would not!,

Thank God my responsibility for him doesn’t extend beyond his completion of 25hrs. 5.8 more hours to go……….
Not meaning to be a contrary ass, but really? A CJ3? If you'd only chosen some other jet. One could almost make a pretty plausible case for an SR22 being a more difficult plane to fly than a turbofan 182 (CJ3).

Not meaning to be a contrary ass, but really? A CJ3? If you'd only chosen some other jet. One could almost make a pretty plausible case for an SR22 being a more difficult plane to fly than a turbofan 182 (CJ3).
I absolutely agree with you! The CJ3+ is a pretty docile machine. However, it flies a bit higher and much faster than a SR22

Your response should be an indicator how just how big of a soup sandwich this guy really is!!

I absolutely agree with you! The CJ3+ is a pretty docile machine. However, it flies a bit higher and much faster than a SR22

Your response should be an indicator how just how big of a soup sandwich this guy really is!!
I take your point. I love the CJ3 and don't mean to disparage it. Bigger picture is the old saying that if we did things right in aviation, everyone would do their primary training in jets and have to work their way up to multi-engine pistons.

I suspect all of us jet jocks consider ourselves -to some degree- to be special sierra hotel cowboys. Truth is what you just stated. The only thing that really make jets different is their speed. And that's not even particularly a flying thing. It's really more of an awareness and planning thing.

From an overall flight management perspective, jets are usually going to be much more complicated, but that has little to do with the flying. That's all about the permits and paperwork and pencil-pushing peckerwoods.

Planes are very much like boats. The bigger they get, the easier they are. But you do have to be aware of much, much more stuff, and you do need to plan a lot, lot farther ahead.

Last edited:
Lol. Have you not been to FSI or CAE? They're excellent (at least relative to other, lesser professional schools which will go unnamed -as they should). You've not lived 'til you've seen some of the professional pilots who have passed through those vautned machines.

I've been to both, worked at both, failed a lot of guys going through. That said, I never actually flew with any of the rockstars who manage to flunk out of cae.

1625518250804.png

As a CFI I used to get the "problem" students that other instructors had given up on. Yes, they were "bad" pilots, but only because they hadn't been taught to be good pilots yet.

I'd fly with them, then sit down at the end and give it to them straight- usually it went something like "I know you're anxious to solo but we're not there yet - here are the things I need to see first and here's how I think we can get there - it may take a little more time, but I'm willing to put in the work if you are."

If they had the passion to fly and willingness to put in the work, we could make pilots out of them.

As a CFI I used to get the "problem" students that other instructors had given up on. Yes, they were "bad" pilots, but only because they hadn't been taught to be good pilots yet.

I'd fly with them, then sit down at the end and give it to them straight- usually it went something like "I know you're anxious to solo but we're not there yet - here are the things I need to see first and here's how I think we can get there - it may take a little more time, but I'm willing to put in the work if you are."

If they had the passion to fly and willingness to put in the work, we could make pilots out of them.

I loved working with problem students. Very rewarding.

Agree! As a military instructor pilot, I crossed the same path With “problem students”.
The bold words above are what I’m dealing with in my scenario. This guy is able but isn’t “willing”!

Worst pilot I’ve ever flown with is a ~20 yr ex-Skywest checkairman. Talk about a serious attitude problem, a show off, thinks he’s hot stuff but in reality can’t fly worth a damn. And argues. Over anything and everything.

Worst pilot I’ve ever flown with is a ~20 yr ex-Skywest checkairman. Talk about a serious attitude problem, a show off, thinks he’s hot stuff but in reality can’t fly worth a damn. And argues. Over anything and everything.
Yeah when I was based in the mothership (SLC) I saw a lot of piss poor attitudes and this exact thing. There were also captains who a wide cast of people bid avoid or called off sick to specifically not deal with their micromanaging or bad attitudes. For me it was great because I got really good trips and just bit my tounge and powered through it for the sake of overnight or better paying trips. I don't really let that stuff dig into me though. That's the one benefit when someone's a senior captain half the base hates to fly with and you being a junior FO.

Back