90-day window for PPL - too short?

Look at Sheble in the Vegas area....

PVT.: Our Initial Private Pilot (ASEL) course is 23 to 30 days long and will cover ground and flight training of 40 hours preparing you to successfully pass your oral and flight portion of the check ride. You must however come to class with your Knowledge exam completed so we can review your areas of the test you missed, enhancing your ability to pass the Oral portion successfully. Your training will be in a Cessna 172 the most popular training aircraft in the world and will receive ground and flight training daily during your course. – Course credit cost $10,295.00 and cash price $9,986.00

Keep in mind that timeframe and price tag are based on the min 40 hrs and in all reality you'll go higher than that. I'd say plan on 50-60 hrs as long as you are aggressive. I used Sheble back in 2006/2007 and liked them. Another suggestion I have is maybe do self-study and knock a lot of stuff yourself. For example, I remember for the instrument rating I did all the studying for the ground portion and took the written portion before getting into the meat of the matter. I don't think you can do that under part 141, but can under part 61.

Thanks for the info on Sheble @Cherokee_Cruiser

I currently plan to work on the PPL here in Phoenix since I can keep my living expenses low.. I'm just now starting on Chp. 3 of the PHAK (bought a color-version paperback for $14) and peruse through a PDF version of the PPL ACS.

You caught me, the only reason I want to be a pilot is because of how many acronyms I can use.

That and I can use the phonetic alphabet to say things like...Sierra Echo November Delta November Uniform Delta Echo Sierra :bounce:

Last edited:
You caught me, the only reason I want to be a pilot is because of how many acronyms I can use.

That and I can use the phonetic alphabet to say things like...Sierra Echo November Delta November Uniform Delta Echo Sierra :bounce:

Just keep in mind that if you say that on an aviation forum, the majority are dudes. @DPApilot Might get an invitation to a hot tub...

Reactions: JEP
The Key to make this work is a good instructor (or Two than work as a team) that has/have the availability to work with you in the allotted time. Getting passed off from instructor to instructor to instructor will frustrate progress as the new instructor will tend to repeat things you have already learned and omit things you haven't yet learned. You may want to consider a cash bonus for your instructor if you pass your checkride within some period of time such as 45 or 50 days. This can help the instructor focus on YOUR goals more clearly.
Also it is advantageous to train where they have two, or more, training aircraft that are essentially the same. Maintenance issues and scheduling problems always occur when you are not planning for them. Moving from one airplane to a very different airplane in the middle of your training can cost you excess time and money.

The Key to make this work is a good instructor (or Two than work as a team) that has/have the availability to work with you in the allotted time. Getting passed off from instructor to instructor to instructor will frustrate progress as the new instructor will tend to repeat things you have already learned and omit things you haven't yet learned.

Moving from one airplane to a very different airplane in the middle of your training can cost you excess time and money.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was flying with an independent instructor in a C172 and another plane became available that was about $50 per hour cheaper wet so I switched to a Cherokee 160. Then the Cherokee sold after about 20 hours in it and I went back to the original Cessna again. Then it sold too. Switching airframes during training (especially high wing to low wing) will not help you at all.

Back