8710 Question

Well,
I just realized now that the regs have changed a bit, since last time I had to use them... I was initially refering to 61.129.b.4, but a while back the phrase "or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor" was not present. The only way the student pilot could log those 10 hours as solo was, according to the local FSDO, to put a note in the logbook stating that the instructor was present for insurance purposes only. No insurance (at least that I was aware of) would let a pilot take a multi without a proper rating.
That'll teach me wanting to look smart!
But it seems clear to me that a student pilot performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, will log the time as PIC, not solo. If I was in that situation, I would rather log PIC time than SOLO time. What am I missing?

Well, there's no reason that a properly rated pilot flying solo couldn't log both solo and PIC, right? - the categories aren't mutually exclusive. Of course, a lot of logbooks don't have separate columns for the two.

I agree that the the airship solo logging exception is odd. According to 61.109(g), there's not any solo flight experience required for an airship rating, so you wouldn't have to log any at all.

The only modern airships I've ever seen are the Goodyear blimp and other similar semi-rigid designs. Heck, are any of those even certified for single pilot operation?

[ QUOTE ]
I was initially refering to 61.129.b.4, but a while back the phrase "or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor" was not present.

[/ QUOTE ]One of those times that the Reg was changed to reflect reality. In this case the insurance reality you mention. Essentially formalizing the old FSDO practice you describe.
[ QUOTE ]
But it seems clear to me that a student pilot performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, will log the time as PIC, not solo. If I was in that situation, I would rather log PIC time than SOLO time. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]Nothing, except that you can log both so there's no "rather" choice to make.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the the airship solo logging exception is odd. According to 61.109(g), there's not any solo flight experience required for an airship rating, so you wouldn't have to log any at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not relevant now, but I think at one time the total solo requirement for, for example, a private ASEL certificate was did not require that all of the solo time be in an ASEL. Something like X hours solo, of which Y must be in a single engine airplane.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's no reason that a properly rated pilot flying solo couldn't log both solo and PIC, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my point, a student seeking a ME rating is not properly rated, therefore could not fly solo on a ME, or log PIC time for that matter; but needed solo time as a pre-requisite for the practical test.
But I think we are talking about the same thing in a different way...

Back